The Student Room Group

Has your accent changed after starting uni?

If so, to what and what from? And how much by?

Just curious :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gone from RP to a thick Jamaican Patois :s-smilie:
The more easily influenced you are and the more you think you have to change it in order to "fit in" then the more it will change, but if not then I don't see any reason why it should tbh
Reply 3
Original post by AverageExcellence
Your accent wont change by studying 3 years at uni at the age of 18 and above, accents establish themselves from a young age.

Wrong.

Totally not in my experience.
Original post by yothi5
Wrong.

Totally not in my experience.

We have a close family friend who came and was born and bred in scotland down south at the age of 20, hes now like 45 and hes still got a very strong glasgow accent.

a similar thing happened with my cousin whos got a strong brummy accent.

I thought this was the general rule of thumb
Reply 5
We have a close family friend who came and was born and bred in scotland down south at the age of 20, hes now like 45 and hes still got a very strong glasgow accent.

Souce?

Maybe in your family. All depends what the people who are close to you speak like.
Reply 6
My actual accent hasn't changed, but how I talk has started to change. The actual words I use and how I say some of them is developing. That's to be expect coming from parents with a very middle-class accent, and moving to bloody South Wales :colone:

Studying Linguistics extensively; you thought wrong. Accents are not fixed. Our accents change over time as our needs change and as our sense of who we are changes and develops. Usually this happens naturally, and often unconsciously.
After reading Barbara Fennell's book on sociolinguistics, there is no fixed age where you can't change your accent anymore. Accents can actually be changed if you really want to; though this usually happens without much effort in the university scene because you move to a new place, mix with different people, or develop new aspirations.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
im northern irish but i really want to pick up an english accent if i go to university in York!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by flutegirl
im northern irish but i really want to pick up an english accent if i go to university in York!! :biggrin:

There are YouTube tutorials that can help you.

What accent would you like? RP or nothern English?
Your accent wont change by studying 3 years at uni at the age of 18 and above, accents establish themselves from a young age.

Nah, I was born in the US and moved to England when I was 6, then back to America briefly before settling in England again. My accent went from American to completely English to a mixture to fully English to fully American until it has now gone back to a mixture. Drives me crazy.
Didn't really have a welsh accent anyway, but it's definitely got less. Think maybe because I hang around with a lot of people from down South. Definitely not gone scouse though!
Reply 12

Yeah, some people don't pick up accents easily it seems and will always keep their accent. Other people like one of my old teachers moved from wales about five years ago, and had a really thick welsh accent then apparnetly, and now you couldn't really tell unless you listened carefully.

I know I pick up accents easily - I have a strongish Brummy accent at work, but its more Black Country when talking to my friends and at college, and talking in a more formal situation, I talk more like my parents who don't really have accents. (My mum was born up north, grew up in Bristol, lived in London for a few years and now lives in Birmingham. My dad grew up in Shropshire, lived for a long time in London and now lives in Brimingham as well)
Original post by twelve
Yeah, some people don't pick up accents easily it seems and will always keep their accent. Other people like one of my old teachers moved from wales about five years ago, and had a really thick welsh accent then apparnetly, and now you couldn't really tell unless you listened carefully.

I know I pick up accents easily - I have a strongish Brummy accent at work, but its more Black Country when talking to my friends and at college, and talking in a more formal situation, I talk more like my parents who don't really have accents. (My mum was born up north, grew up in Bristol, lived in London for a few years and now lives in Birmingham. My dad grew up in Shropshire, lived for a long time in London and now lives in Brimingham as well)

I suppose it must vary from person to person. Im not sure on the likelihood of someones accent changing though
This is worrying.....I get a slight Scottish accent after spending just a week with my Scottish friends, god knows what accent I'll end up with at uni! :s-smilie:
Reply 15

Remember elocution lessons.
I'm not at uni yet but during the last year of 6th form my accent has become quite rah. It's quite funny really, originally I'm from West Yorkshire, but I've lived in Cheshire since 1999. My mum has quite an evident Yorkshire accent, my dad not so much.

It will be interesting to see how it develops further at university, I'd imagine my accent will become even more rah as a meet new people. They certainly are not fixed, to lesser or greater extents :smile:

I spent a week in America in February and by the end of it I was starting to sound American saying things like "buddy" or "man". I'd love a US accent. :cool:
Original post by najinaji
Remember elocution lessons.

I will retract my earlier statement lol
Reply 18
I suppose it must vary from person to person. Im not sure on the likelihood of someones accent changing though

It does definitely change.

And if you don't believe me, you would if you heard my Grandma on the phone to her northern friends. She grew up in South London, moved to Bristol and then to Sunderland - and she has such a thick accent when she talks to her friends from there its unbelievable, but normally, she doesn't really have an accent - maybe slightly West country, but not thick at all.
Reply 19
Original post by Trailblazer
I'm not at uni yet but during the last year of 6th form my accent has become quite rah. It's quite funny really, originally I'm from West Yorkshire, but I've lived in Cheshire since 1999. My mum has quite an evident Yorkshire accent, my dad not so much.

It will be interesting to see how it develops further at university, I'd imagine my accent will become even more rah as a meet new people. They certainly are not fixed, to lesser or greater extents :smile:

I spent a week in America in February and by the end of it I was starting to sound American saying things like "buddy" or "man". I'd love a US accent. :cool:

Are you, like, planning to go to America on your gap yah?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending