The Student Room Group

Bullied at Sixth form

Hi, I just wanted to vent a little, I guess. I think I'm being bullied at school. I have been bullied at different points in my life before but not by a whole group of people. I prefer not to talk much as I'm introverted. I always wanted to be under the radar but my teachers love to draw attention to my grades in front of the entire class. I don't think I'm 'smart' and I just want to live my life peacefully by drawing, reading, watching stuff and my hobbies are pretty much the only reason I'm still alive.

The teachers at my school revealed my gcse grades to everyone. They did this to a group of students and not everyone. The problem is they didn't ask for my consent and have drawn unnecessary attention to me.

My teachers pick on us randomly to answer questions and I've always hated this because I can't formulate a single coherent sentence. I can never express what I want to say. Also, I get the answer wrong most of the time because I tend to answer quickly and it feels so suffocating knowing the people around me are watching. I don't even look any of them in the eye or acknowledge their existence unless I have to, yet some of them overtly gossip about me in the common room. One of the boys in my chem and maths class mentions my name once everyday as part of a running inside joke. For example, he says stuff like 'ask her, she knows everything' whilst others giggle and join in. I don't respond whenever anyone mentions my name which may give the impression that I can't recognise their attempts at sarcasm. I just can't retort at that moment because I don't have the energy to do anything but seconds later I'll find myself regretting not standing up for myself. I only have one friend and she answers all the questions in class and gets good grades yet I'm the only one who gets picked on.

In conclusion, I think all of this bullying is my fault as there's probably something fundamentally wrong with me. I want to change my accent and the way I speak but I don't think that will be possible at my current school. I'm finding a levels very hard right now and being the subject of ridicule at school is not helping. I can't even enjoy my hobbies right now to distract myself from the pain because mocks are approaching. I just wish my teachers didn't participate in making me feel worse by pointing out my stupid mistakes is front of everyone and mocking my accent by replicating it sometimes. My chemistry teacher/form tutor doesn't care and even joins them as they joke about me(they do it subtly).

Or maybe nothing is going on and I'm just being paranoid.
firstly there's nothing wrong with you. the bullying is not your fault. your accent is part of you and you shouldn't change it to make other people happy. if you do that you're just giving them power.

just be yourself. they bully you because they're jealous of something - in this case i assume it is your intellect so stop putting yourself down by saying you don't think you're smart. the reason they're saying you know everything is because it comes across like that to them. so clearly you know enough and are clever for them to be saying that. if i were you i'd take that as a compliment.

try to see the positive side in everything as i just said. and be confident in yourself. try not to look upset or sulk around them because this is what they want. walk into class with a smile and confidence and think about the questions your teacher asks you then answer confidently.

if you don't have this confidence, you need to fake it till you make it. start by just walking with your head up and smiling at them if they look at you. and look them in the eye when you do it. you are better than them so act like it.

maybe try pursue another hobby that will boost your confidence - because it seems like this is an area you lack which makes them think you're easy to be picked on. and make time for your hobbies - they are what bring you pleasure and you need to make time for yourself.

as for the teachers mocking you, try to get it on video or voice record it on the sly. if you get it on video or can somehow prove it - go to the head - or if the head wont help, go to Ofsted or other organisations that are built for this thing.

you have support but you must support yourself and you are strong enough to overcome this. just be you, believe in you and take what they say as compliments. the fact that you're part of their conversation without even being there is a compliment lol.

you got this.
Reply 2
thanks for the advice especially the faking confidence part :biggrin:
I agree with this; there is definitely nothing wrong with you please don't change who you are for other people. I feel like you should talk to the teacher who exposed your GCSE grades and say how you feel about it (go with your friend if you want for an extra confidence boost) and if talking to him isn't an option then I think arranging a meeting with him and your parents would be ideal so they can have a talk with him and set his broken brain straight. If none of these are an option then 100% record it and go to the head.

also as said above looking sad and sulky gives them something to pick on it gives them a reason to keep going, you have GOTTTT to be that confident queen you know you are. (I only said queen because you used the pronoun "her")
everything else has been said, you are so amazing and are definitely going to get through this, i have been bullied to and now i look back and laugh,
i believe in you so you should to, because if you don't then who will
good luck
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending