The Student Room Group

Laura Wilson: Britain's first white 'honour' killing victim?

She was brutally murdered after confronting two Pakistani families over a love triangle involving a baby, is this a sign of things to come in Britain as our society becomes more diverse or is a crime such as this a freak occurance totally unrelated to Southern Asian culture?

link
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One killing doesn't tell us anything. If it starts becoming more frequent then we can start talking about this stuff seriously.
Reply 2
Original post by chefdave
She was brutally murdered after confronting two Pakistani families over a love triangle involving a baby, is this a sign of things to come in Britain as our society becomes more diverse or is a crime such as this a freak occurance totally unrelated to South-East Asian culture?

link

This isn't really classed as an honour killing. :confused:
How does one define an 'honour killing'? Is it merely to do with the motive behind the murder? Doesn't it fall under the category of 'crime of passion'?
When did Pakistan migrate to the East, out of interest?
She was brutally murdered after confronting two Pakistani families over a love triangle involving a baby, is this a sign of things to come in Britain as our society becomes more diverse or is a crime such as this a freak occurance totally unrelated to South-East Asian culture?

link

I saw a thread with this same title on the edl website lol.
Not honour killing just some "wannabe" muslim trying to hide his true identity from this family. Hope he dies and burns in hell, stupid murderer.
"one of the mothers tried to hit Laura with a shoe." Slap her in jail stupid little freak, not shouting at here son but hitting the girlfriend.

They have little "honour" left after this. Though they had none from the beginning.
(edited 12 years ago)
Err South-East Asian culture? Yes, damn those Thailanders and their honour killings :fuhrer:
Reply 7
Honour killing is, in my eyes, when a person or family decided to murder somebody for the purpose of silencing them from diclosing information which may disrupt the honour of their family, or for the purpose of retribution after doing something which already disrupted the honour of their family.

What I don't understand is how they think it's unhonourable to have children/sex outside wedlock, but that it is honourable to go around murdering folk.
Reply 8
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
When did Pakistan migrate to the East, out of interest?

lol, great contrib, because your point really tackles the issue at hand.
Reply 9
Original post by Genocidal
One killing doesn't tell us anything. If it starts becoming more frequent then we can start talking about this stuff seriously.

How many killings would it take before we could start talking about this stuff seriously?
How many killings would it take before we could start talking about this stuff seriously?

There's no exact number, but it has to be on a fairly frequent basis. If someone kills themself by blowing themselves up with a toaster does it mean that we should start taking toaster safety seriously?

It's not an epidemic, one or two murders is not worth bothering about considering how many people are killed in some way on a daily basis.
Reply 11
Original post by Brutal Honesty
How does one define an 'honour killing'? Is it merely to do with the motive behind the murder? Doesn't it fall under the category of 'crime of passion'?

They're quite different. A crime of passion is usually a spur of the moment retaliatory attack against somebody who's wronged you in some way, for example an unfaithful wife. An honour killing OTOH is premeditated murder carried out when a family or community feel their traditional values have been compromised, if a female (it's usually a female) brings shame upon the family by refusing a forced marriage or marrying outside their community for example they may be putting themselves at risk of an honour killing, or at least some sort of 'honour' retribution.
Reply 12
There's no exact number, but it has to be on a fairly frequent basis. If someone kills themself by blowing themselves up with a toaster does it mean that we should start taking toaster safety seriously?

It's not an epidemic, one or two murders is not worth bothering about considering how many people are killed in some way on a daily basis.

The Daily Mail would probably spin the story making it seem that every person in the country is in mortal danger from toasters blowing up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

Well, yes. If the toaster was faulty. If we imported a large consignment of foreign toasters and found out a couple of years down the line that they contained lethal design flaws at the very least I'd expect the appropriate agencies to do their job properly and analyse what went wrong. If their stance was: "well, only a couple of people have been killed so far so there's nothing to worry about" I'd question their political agenda.

Unfortunately instutionalised misogyny is an 'epidemic' in some parts of the world. Accidents with kitchen appliances aren't in the same league as honour killings.
lol, great contrib, because your point really tackles the issue at hand.
Ok I was being facetious.

You seem to give two options though; its either:
- a sign of things to come
- unrelated to South Asian culture

It is quite obviously not unrelated to South Asian (including Indian) culture and I don't think many people would deny that, but correlation does not imply causation, so why, for you, does it mean that it will be a sign of things to come?

I think you're jumping the gun a bit to suggest that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Surely it is just murder?
DailyMail
In south Asian and Middle Eastern communities, controlling the behaviour of women is seen as key to the family’s honour.

DailyMail
Refusing to consent to marry the husband chosen for you or leaving an abusive marriage is often seen as dishonouring the family.

What absolute BS

EDIT: I suppose the person who negged me knows more about S. Asian culture than myself, y'know being S. Asian...
(edited 12 years ago)
Tired of hearing the word 'honour'. This is just sad, pathetic murder. Now then, why not blame the entire Asian culture for this one murder :rolleyes: Things like this don't happen everyday, hence why it's in the news. We need to remember that.
Well, yes. If the toaster was faulty. If we imported a large consignment of foreign toasters and found out a couple of years down the line that they contained lethal design flaws at the very least I'd expect the appropriate agencies to do their job properly and analyse what went wrong. If their stance was: "well, only a couple of people have been killed so far so there's nothing to worry about" I'd question their political agenda.

Unfortunately instutionalised misogyny is an 'epidemic' in some parts of the world. Accidents with kitchen appliances aren't in the same league as honour killings.

But I never said multiple people had killed themselves, and if a foreign consignment all had these flaws then there would, inevitably, be more than one death. If you want to be unnecessarily pedantic then I can be too.

The point I was making was that a couple of deaths doesn't mean a whole lot. It's like that crap we had with racism in football a few weeks ago. Suarez and Evra decide to have a bust up and the government then want to have an official summit on racism in football. They are stupid knee jerk reactions which should not be taken seriously until there's a genuine problem. And this genuine problem would be shown through the event happening multiple times on a fairly frequent basis.
Reply 19

Like the epedemic of muslim peadophile drug rape gangs you mean?

Hang on, I thought the authorities swept that one under the carpet for the last decade for political correct reasons and not to be seen as 'racist'.

Or does that count as discussing things seriously?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending