The Student Room Group

Scotland Yard Racism...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Lol I dont quite understand how people are defending this?
Original post by Bonged.
Not relevant to the thread but if a yout is throwing rocks, nicking trainers etc I expect that they will at least give that yout a slap.

Problem being the public expects different things. I expect humanity from police, ambulance, fire.

He wasnt arrested for anything to do with looting, he was pulled over because it was suspected that he was driving under the influence of drugs (these charges were later dropped).
Original post by marcusfox
I see.

So because of this 'history', the only possible -ism that matters is racism, specifically racism against black people.

By the way, you were the one introducing 'history lessons'. Lest we forget, eh? Sins of the father and all that.

Clearly racism is not limited to 'black' people. :rolleyes:

Indeed however, if we are to look back to history, the most oppressed 'race' would be said to be the black 'race' (i.e. those Africans of dark skin colour etc). This is not to say that other persons were not oppressed because many were (e.g. slavery in the Arab world etc etc). But you must understand, that this oppression has been with the Black Man for a long time - to the point it was habitually thought that the 'negro' was naturally inferior.

The all-pervading word used in this particular slave trade (i.e. of Africans) was the word 'n1gger' (later, softer 'negro').

For somebody to use this word in full knowledge of its past use is clearly to cause offence and bring about a provocation - in short, it is to insult.
(edited 12 years ago)
I see.

So because of this 'history', the only possible -ism that matters is racism, specifically racism against black people.

Who said this? I don't think anybody said this.
Reply 183
Original post by Captain Haddock
Who said this? I don't think anybody said this.

It was clearly implied.

Otherwise why would he dig up the history of slavery in reference to racism? That is only relevant to anti-black racism.

Totally ignoring the fact that you can be racist against any race.

Why do you need to bring 'slavery' into the argument to justify laws against racism, where racism in general (including that against Asians or Jews) is concerned?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 184
I see.

By the way, you were the one introducing 'history lessons'. Lest we forget, eh? Sins of the father and all that.

Yes, nothing else matters, that's what I said. :rolleyes:

You appeared to be running down the significance of racism towards blacks, if you honestly believe ginger people and the disabled have received discrimination to warrant as much attention as racism towards black people then you need serious help.
It was clearly implied.

Otherwise why would he dig up the history of slavery in reference to racism? That is only relevant to anti-black racism.

Totally ignoring the fact that you can be racist against any race.

Why do you need to bring 'slavery' into the argument to justify laws against racism, where racism in general (including that against Asians or Jews) is concerned?

It was not implied at all and I honestly don't know what your point is here.
Reply 186
Original post by AP1989

You appeared to be running down the significance of racism towards blacks, if you honestly believe ginger people and the disabled have received discrimination to warrant as much attention as racism towards black people then you need serious help.

I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to have laws against racism and discrimination that only apply when both of the following are true.

- if you are a minority
- your people have suffered a major injustice at some point in the history of humanity

And clearly you believe that should be the case. Otherwise why would you bring up slavery in the argument at all?
Reply 187
Original post by AP1989

Apart from personally believing that all forms of discrimination should be acted against equally, I would say disabled people HAVE had a worse time of it than black people. Black people can be disabled! Also, people were abusing disabled people - leaving them out to die from exposure, long, long before anyone in england realised there was a place called africa where africans would sell you other africans.
Reply 188
I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to have laws against racism and discrimination that only apply when both of the following are true.

- if you are a minority
- your people have suffered a major injustice at some point in the history of humanity

And clearly you believe that should be the case. Otherwise why would you bring up slavery in the argument at all?

I brought up slavery as a simple reminder as to why racism, specifically towards black people, is such a hot topic and will always be considered a higher priority than most other forms of discrimination. I could have mentioned the John Crow laws. You were acting as though discrimination is equally spread among all races and minority groups - disabled etc.
Reply 189
Original post by Bonged.
Apart from personally believing that all forms of discrimination should be acted against equally, I would say disabled people HAVE had a worse time of it than black people. Black people can be disabled! Also, people were abusing disabled people - leaving them out to die from exposure, long, long before anyone in england realised there was a place called africa where africans would sell you other africans.

Discrimination isn't spread equally among minority groups.
Reply 190
Original post by AP1989
Discrimination isn't spread equally among minority groups.

Who decides how discriminated against certain groups are?

What of my point about disabled people.
Reply 191
Original post by AP1989
I brought up slavery as a simple reminder as to why racism, specifically towards black people, is such a hot topic and will always be considered a higher priority than most other forms of discrimination. I could have mentioned the John Crow laws. You were acting as though discrimination is equally spread among all races and minority groups - disabled etc.

Have you ever heard of serfdom or feudalism? Most of the British populace used to be slaves. Discrimination here has always been and will always be based mostly on wealth and class.
Reply 192
Original post by AP1989

Oh, laws now? So, given that at that time, it was whites who essentially ruled the world of slavery, you think that the definition of racism also encompasses a political power?

So you can't be racist towards a race that is politically more powerful than a minority?
Reply 193
Original post by Bonged.

I'm just wondering, what was the relevance of this comment in the point you were making?
Reply 194
Original post by Zelex
I'm just wondering, what was the relevance of this comment in the point you were making?

In reply to this:

Originally Posted by AP1989
Yes, nothing else matters, that's what I said.

I was correcting him.
Reply 195
Original post by Bonged.
Who decides how discriminated against certain groups are?

What of my point about disabled people.

It isn't at the forefront of debate because it simply isn't as widespread. This is purely a matter of how we interpret things, I don't think we're about to put together a paper each to argue our point.
crackers.
Reply 197
Original post by AP1989
It isn't at the forefront of debate because it simply isn't as widespread. This is purely a matter of how we interpret things, I don't think we're about to put together a paper each to argue our point.

Sauce please.
Reply 198
Original post by Bonged.
In reply to this:

Originally Posted by AP1989
Yes, nothing else matters, that's what I said.

I was correcting him.

Ok, I understand.

On a whole, I also agree to an extent.

EDIT: TBH, it's very difficult to compare the two, for example the trans-atlantic slave trade has had detrimental effects on society we have today. It is a very complex is issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bonged.
Sauce please.

I think it is spelled 'source'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending