The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by threeportdrift
As university fundraising is increasingly professionalised, especially in the Oxbridge, Manchester and London universities, and is financially very efficient, it would seem the argument for funding post-graduate students is just not convincing enough.

You're going to have to explain that a little better if you want me at least to understand what it is you are trying to convey.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by HLS

From a University's perspective I don't think there is a great deal more that they can do. Oxbridge are better than virtually every other University in the UK at using funds to open up access, and it is still not enough.

Just for info Oxford and Cambridge are in a league of their own, with good alumni loyalty, excellent appeal to commercial/other donors, and of course the resources of 30+ colleges as well as a core university. Manchester and Imperial are also very successful at raising philanthropic funds. Then UCL, KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and similar all have strong campaigns. If you want to know details, ask uni Development Offices and try and find the Ross CASE data that is released right about now and details UK university fund raising through a number of metrics.
Reply 2662
Original post by zooey_1990
I was looking at the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program offered by the Blavatnik School of Government. The one year masters program is new and is currently accepting its first class of students in September 2012. Do you guys think that because the program is new it will be easier to get accepted since not a lot of people know about it?

Hard to tell. They say they will increase the class size as they go on (iirc to 60 or 80) but one doesn't know how much applications will increase. The course looks very interesting (and very expensive). I would think that with a start size of 30, they will already have more than enough qualified students to choose from. Not so sure I would want to be in the first class of a new school, though.

Edit: when I went back to look at the website it says applications closed on 9 March. And they commit to fully funding 10% of the 2012 intake.... Which is 3 students! And I did not recall correctly, they are aiming for a class size of 120 eventually.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2663
Just for info Oxford and Cambridge are in a league of their own, with good alumni loyalty, excellent appeal to commercial/other donors, and of course the resources of 30+ colleges as well as a core university. Manchester and Imperial are also very successful at raising philanthropic funds. Then UCL, KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and similar all have strong campaigns. If you want to know details, ask uni Development Offices and try and find the Ross CASE data that is released right about now and details UK university fund raising through a number of metrics.

Yes I am aware of the Oxbridge ascendancy in this area - their endowments run into the billions. Better tax relief for donations would help, but again something government seem unwilling to budge on (they appear to be going the other way).
Well in the UK, the philanthropy you see is the philanthropy that there is. Charities (which includes universities) are obliged to put philanthropic funds to the specific use the donors request. So if there isn't enough scholarship money, that's because potential donors are not donating. As university fundraising is increasingly professionalised, especially in the Oxbridge, Manchester and London universities, and is financially very efficient, it would seem the argument for funding post-graduate students is just not convincing enough.

I'd be interested to know what you think about students who have the academic abilities, passion and zeal to pursue further education, but lack the finance? Say this kind of student was up against one who was also brilliant, but able to self-fund and therefore able to pursue academia. Who is to tell which one would have furthered the field more? Progression is available to those with finance and not to those without. Yes Oxbridge is excellent at funding, one of the best in the UK, hence I applied, but it's not to say its without problems. However, as has been pointed out, this is not just down to the universities. In field like English variety is a necessity if serious progression in the field is to be made. I feel if funding in the arts is not made available by some measure or another, the arts will suffer in the long term.

The education system from this point of view seems highly unfair, if not problematic, to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2665
Original post by Student 01
I'd be interested to know what you think about students who have the academic abilities, passion and zeal to pursue further education, but lack the finance? Say this kind of student was up against one who was also brilliant, but able to self-fund and therefore able to pursue academia. Who is to tell which one would have furthered the field more? Progression is available to those with finance and not to those without. Yes Oxbridge is excellent at funding, one of the best in the UK, hence I applied, but it's not to say its without problems. However, as has been pointed out, this is not just down to the universities. In field like English variety is a necessity if serious progression in the field is to be made. I feel if funding in the arts is not made available by some measure or another, the arts will suffer in the long term.

The education system from this point of view seems highly unfair, if not problematic, to me.

Yes this is one thing that bugs me, especially at Masters level - the absence of means testing for studentships. It leads, to paraphrase Withnail, to a system which is free to those that can afford it, but very expensive to those that can't.

Oxford, whilst having lots of funds, do tend to favour their own graduates.
Original post by sj27
Hard to tell. They say they will increase the class size as they go on (iirc to 60 or 80) but one doesn't know how much applications will increase. The course looks very interesting (and very expensive). I would think that with a start size of 30, they will already have more than enough qualified students to choose from. Not so sure I would want to be in the first class of a new school, though.

Edit: when I went back to look at the website it says applications closed on 9 March. And they commit to fully funding 10% of the 2012 intake.... Which is 3 students! And I did not recall correctly, they are aiming for a class size of 120 eventually.

Thanks for your comment! And I agree that the program is very expensive. I'd really like to get your advice on this. I am deciding whether I should apply for Migration Studies or MPP. I'm interested in both and I feel like the career options for MPP seem better. Do you think it would make sense to apply for Migration Studies in November and then see if I get accepted. If not, then apply for MPP in March? Would something like this be feasible? Thanks :smile:
Original post by maggiesfarmer
I got a Clarendon for MSc in African Studies! i can't believe it! good luck to everyone!
Still haven't heard directly from the African Studies Program. But I guess I can assume I got in.

Congratulations!
Original post by HLS
You're going to have to explain that a little better if you want me at least to understand what it is you are trying to convey.

Fundraising in universities doesn't just happen by accident. The universities I mentioned will have teams of 40-70 staff who professionally manage the whole fund raising effort (by which I mean raising of philanthropic funds) for a university. Within that team will be professionals who can carve out a full career in just one single aspect of a large and complex process eg Telethon Manager, Annual Fund Manager, Alumni Relations Manager, Major Gifts Manager, Database Manager, Gift Processor etc It is also very success driven, so your ability to move from job to job will often be closely associated, particularly in the 'asking' roles, with the amount of philanthropic income you have generated. This is especially the case with Major Gift Managers.

What I am trying to explain (and not just to you) is that every university has a professional team who are committed to trying to maximise the amount of philanthropic income coming into that uni. Also, because the bulk of philanthropic income comes from alumni, universities do not take a competitive stance with each other, and share best practice, training, advice etc.

It's a professional business, and when your university announces a million pound donation, you can be fairly certain that several years of effort went into securing that. What the development team have limited control over though, is what the donor wants to give money to. Whilst they have all increased asking for undergrad and post-grad funding, indeed most development campaigns will have this as the first or second priority, it is only a compelling ask to a small sector of people. What you can't do (morally or legally) is refuse a potential donation because it doesn't fit with your internal university priorities.

I'd recommend that any student who wonders about how money gets into a university asks for a visit to the Development Office - they'd love to see you and explain what they do. They'll explain their fund raising priorities, which will come from the main university strategy, and they'll explain their various fundraising methods (annual fund, calling campaign, regular gifts, major gifts etc), show you the database, talk about gift aid (give you a gift aid form to sign!) etc. None of the money coming in to your university is accidentally donated!
Original post by HLS
Yes this is one thing that bugs me, especially at Masters level - the absence of means testing for studentships. It leads, to paraphrase Withnail, to a system which is free to those that can afford it, but very expensive to those that can't.

Oxford, whilst having lots of funds, do tend to favour their own graduates.

Precisely.

I have also heard from graduates students at Oxford first hand, that yes the department does favour its own graduates. Now I can almost understand why, but it still exacerbates the current funding crisis even more.
None of the money coming in to your university is accidentally donated!

Yes, well that doesn't surprise me.

It's the distribution of this money that does.
I'd be interested to know what you think about students who have the academic abilities, passion and zeal to pursue further education, but lack the finance? Say this kind of student was up against one who was also brilliant, but able to self-fund and therefore able to pursue academia. Who is to tell which one would have furthered the field more? Progression is available to those with finance and not to those without.

I'd agree it wasn't perfect. But the world and individual lives are far from perfect. The fact is that society doesn't value this level of education sufficiently to support either directly through philanthropy, or indirectly via government funding, in the same volume as their are people who would like to participate. That might be wrong in your eyes, and many of the eyes of us who have spent their life savings on post graduate education and are now not reaping the rewards because of the economic crisis. However, there are very many more unfairnesses in the world that, even as a committed supporter of free education, I would want to see resolved before I voted for my taxes to be spent on full scholarships for all post-graduates.
Yes, well that doesn't surprise me.

It's the distribution of this money that does.

The distribution of the money depends entirely on the wishes of the donor, that's a fundamental of UK charity law. So if insufficient money is available to scholars of Ancient Greek, then that is because insufficient people are motivated to give to that need.

It has to be said in fact, that if you look in detail at departmental giving, the very obscure subjects often do the best in terms of per capita fund raising from alumni. Alumni of obscure subjects in small departments are often the most generous in their giving because they themselves felt the pressure of working in a small, obscure department when they were students, and they value what they got from their time at university. Larger departments that made less personal impact on their students often find that alumni have a stronger affinity to the university more widely, and want to give to the library, or student experience etc.
I'd agree it wasn't perfect. But the world and individual lives are far from perfect. The fact is that society doesn't value this level of education sufficiently to support either directly through philanthropy, or indirectly via government funding, in the same volume as their are people who would like to participate. That might be wrong in your eyes, and many of the eyes of us who have spent their life savings on post graduate education and are now not reaping the rewards because of the economic crisis. However, there are very many more unfairnesses in the world that, even as a committed supporter of free education, I would want to see resolved before I voted for my taxes to be spent on full scholarships for all post-graduates.

I am not suggested full scholarships for all. I am pointing towards a discrepancy between the arts and the sciences. Yes, we all save and work our way through our postgraduate and undergraduate degree's even, and this is a possibility for some. There are indeed many many more unfairnesses in the world, but within context of this discussion and thread, it seems likely that you will find quite a few who think its significantly important to increase, equalise and maybe even introduce MA means testing to Postgrad funding.
Reply 2674
What the development team have limited control over though, is what the donor wants to give money to. Whilst they have all increased asking for undergrad and post-grad funding, indeed most development campaigns will have this as the first or second priority, it is only a compelling ask to a small sector of people. What you can't do (morally or legally) is refuse a potential donation because it doesn't fit with your internal university priorities.

Yes I have worked in alumni relations, I do understand the pressures, but your previous post didn't make much sense.

Precisely.

I have also heard from graduates students at Oxford first hand, that yes the department does favour its own graduates. Now I can almost understand why, but it still exacerbates the current funding crisis even more.

It was not a normative claim I made - there is hard evidence to substantiate the suggestion that much (but not most) funding is apportioned between Oxbridge graduates at Oxford.

PM me if you want more info.
Original post by Athena
But who's supposed to pay? Where is the money going to come from? :s-smilie:

Money should come from taxes. Governments spend a lot of money on defense, prison system, welfare, why can't they spend money on higher education? Everyone benefits from education, not only the person who goes to study - think what would happen if Einstein or Newton did not receive the education they had, do you think the only people who would loose out are Einstein and Newton themselves?
Reply 2676
The distribution of the money depends entirely on the wishes of the donor, that's a fundamental of UK charity law.

Actually I think in a University's case that would fall within the scope of contract law and not charity law. The only obligation on the University's part is that the money is used to further the objectives of the charity - i.e. the contents of the Royal Charter.
Original post by HLS
Actually I think in a University's case that would fall within the scope of contract law and not charity law. The only obligation on the University's part is that the money is used to further the objectives of the charity - i.e. the contents of the Royal Charter.

There is no contract in philanthropic giving. The basics of UK contract law require there is a consideration ie an exchange of something of some, although not necessarily equivalent, value between teh two contracting parties, I give you £5000, you give me a car. The definition of a philanthropic gift is that there is no exchange, the donor receives nothing of economic value in return for their gift. It is remarkably difficult to change the use of philanthropic funds if the donor was explicit in their intended use, it certainly can't be done on a whim or for transient preferences.

I appreciate that my discussion of philanthropy does not cater for the 'government should pay' argument. However, if philanthropy is taken to be a sign of society's willingness to support something financially, then surely government is entitled to follow that lead (assuming the lead is moral/legal etc).

Sorry, this has taken the Oxford thread somewhat off course. Happy to continue in a specific thread if anyone wants.
Reply 2678
There is no contract in philanthropic giving. The basics of UK contract law require there is a consideration ie an exchange of something of some, although not necessarily equivalent, value between teh two contracting parties, I give you £5000, you give me a car. The definition of a philanthropic gift is that there is no exchange, the donor receives nothing of economic value in return for their gift. It is remarkably difficult to change the use of philanthropic funds if the donor was explicit in their intended use, it certainly can't be done on a whim or for transient preferences.

I appreciate that my discussion of philanthropy does not cater for the 'government should pay' argument. However, if philanthropy is taken to be a sign of society's willingness to support something financially, then surely government is entitled to follow that lead (assuming the lead is moral/legal etc).

Sorry, this has taken the Oxford thread somewhat off course. Happy to continue in a specific thread if anyone wants.

Interesting perspective.

I would have thought that conditional donations would constitute a contract since consideration moves from the recipient to the donor (namely that the terms imposed by the donor be adhered to by the University).

Otherwise how else could this be enforced if not by contract? I am not familiar with a legislative enactment that would proscribe for this particular case (my grasp of Charity law is relatively superficial mind).

There is an intention to create legal relations (I promise to give you X amount of money providing you use it for Y purpose), the 'consideration' requirement seems to be met. Without a contract how else could the donor enforce the conditions they set on the donation?

Reply by PM if you wish so we don't take this even further off topic!

As for postgraduate funding - no public policies on who pays for students have been put to the electorate since Labour promised, pre-97, not to introduce tuition fees (something they immediately reneged upon once in power). Personally I do not think there is any public mandate for the expansion of the student loans system, which has been done purely because it allows the Treasury to hide money. There is certainly no way of gauging public opinion on postgraduate funding, which again has never formed a part of public policy debates pre-election.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just a quick thanks to everyone who offered support when I was scrambling to submit my application in time. Just got an offer for the Msc Russian and East European studies. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending