The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
jinnytee and Spence, thanks for the replies. I'm from Ireland and graduated 2 years ago. I've been away from Ireland since August. It's a one year contract. The people I emailed/called were the NHS Bursary team.

That link you posted does say this:

"If you have been living outside the UK because you or your family were temporarily employed abroad, you may be treated as if your residence in the UK had not been interrupted. "

I wonder does that apply to EU students as well?

Maybe I could come home early? It would mean giving up my severance pay and bonus but in the long run it would be cheaper I suppose. Maybe I can provide some documents that would show it was only a temporary stay.

Jinnytee, you said you were assessed as being ineligible- who did you contact about that? Student Finance or the NHS?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jennie.stollar
urm IQ isnt listed on the actual BCU website, its private like opal 1 except opal 1 they have a deal with so thats why its on there website. IQ is 15mins from campus, 10mins from bullring and 5mins from clubs etc. Opal 1 is 25-30mins walk to campus, more expensive, and 15mins ish from centre :smile: I will be applying directly to IQ i think, and then i might apply directly to opal 1 too :smile: Its all a bit confusing because IQ isnt BCU's accommodation but from what I've gathered BCU students go there. Opal 1 is really nice too, but a tad more pricey and further away from campus which is kinda putting me off a tad. I personally dont like the actual city south accom because its not ensuit and its just health students, and I want to mix with others and have a more social environment :smile: and haha I dont get twitter, have it, but never use it :P I'm a facebook person haha :smile: let me know what accomm you are looking at :smile: x

Oh right. I agree the City South accomodation puts me off too because it's not ensuite and doesn't really have that much going for it. I really don't know which to apply for haha I think I'll have to have a bit of a think about it and get back to you on that :smile: x
Reply 4022
Jinnytee, you said you were assessed as being ineligible- who did you contact about that? Student Finance or the NHS?

Dapto- it sounds to me that you would be eligible. I read all the info on the eligibility link also, and you seem to fit the criteria for qualifying, so I really hope thats the case. Its one thing to apply knowing up front that you have to pay fees, like me, but Oh Boy, what a blow it would be for you.

I was assessed directly through the universities when I applied. I was sent forms for assessing fee status, presumably because the UCAS application info gave clear indication that I was living overseas.

Also, what did your offer letters state ? Mine all said that I had been offered a place and stated that I had been assessed as an overseas student regarding fees.

Hope you get through with a decision soon ...... this must be worse than when you were waiting for offer replies.
Original post by 123emily
Oh right. I agree the City South accomodation puts me off too because it's not ensuite and doesn't really have that much going for it. I really don't know which to apply for haha I think I'll have to have a bit of a think about it and get back to you on that :smile: x

yeah I am torn between IQ and Opal1 :smile: I just like the fact of being nearer and its cheaper, but Opal looks bigger so probs more people go opal :P decisions decisions :/ Yeah city south accomm is out the picture for me, id rather travel and have better accommodation with different people rather than always be there. :smile: I'm excited thoughh ! :biggrin: <3 soo good to know someone else going BCU :biggrin: whats your grades you gotta get? x
yeah I am torn between IQ and Opal1 :smile: I just like the fact of being nearer and its cheaper, but Opal looks bigger so probs more people go opal :P decisions decisions :/ Yeah city south accomm is out the picture for me, id rather travel and have better accommodation with different people rather than always be there. :smile: I'm excited thoughh ! :biggrin: <3 soo good to know someone else going BCU :biggrin: whats your grades you gotta get? x

I know, it's nice to talk to someone going there too :biggrin: I'm excited to go there now, I'm bored of sixth form haha. I agree with that better accomodation bit as well :smile: My offer is just BBC is yours the same? :smile: x
I know, it's nice to talk to someone going there too :biggrin: I'm excited to go there now, I'm bored of sixth form haha. I agree with that better accomodation bit as well :smile: My offer is just BBC is yours the same? :smile: x

ahh right, whats your predicted grades? :smile: and i do a BTEC in health and social care, and i need DDM (which is like AAB) :smile: soo excited too :biggrin: yeah i hate college now, just want to go uni ! x
Original post by dapto1
jinnytee and Spence, thanks for the replies. I'm from Ireland and graduated 2 years ago. I've been away from Ireland since August. It's a one year contract. The people I emailed/called were the NHS Bursary team.

That link you posted does say this:

"If you have been living outside the UK because you or your family were temporarily employed abroad, you may be treated as if your residence in the UK had not been interrupted. "

I wonder does that apply to EU students as well?

Maybe I could come home early? It would mean giving up my severance pay and bonus but in the long run it would be cheaper I suppose. Maybe I can provide some documents that would show it was only a temporary stay.

It's tough, because I don't want to plant false hope, but it hopefully sounds like the first guy you spoke to is right. As it was only a 12 month contract, it's not exactly 'permanent'. Phone again? You really need something in writing before you cut your stay short...

Good luck with it all; sounds stressful!
ahh right, whats your predicted grades? :smile: and i do a BTEC in health and social care, and i need DDM (which is like AAB) :smile: soo excited too :biggrin: yeah i hate college now, just want to go uni ! x

Wow AAB seems a lot for bcu compared to mine. I'm predicted ABC but I think I'll try and get ABB if I can, what's your predicted grades? :smile: I really regret taking chemistry now though because it's really hard to get like a B or higher but oh well I think I will be fine to get at least what they're offering anyway :smile: and I'm kind of glad that they only offered me BBC because it takes the pressure off a little bit so I'm not so stressed waiting for results :smile: and me too! I'll probably be really nervous on the first week of uni because it's all so different to being in sixth form but I'm really looking forward to it too! :biggrin: x
Reply 4028
Original post by Lusanda
Hi, haven't firmed Sheffield yet, but looking likely!
Got quite a lot of questions actually!

I'll be 23 when I start, and it will be my second degree. Are there many 'mature' students on the course at Sheffield?

When do you begin your first placement? Are they weekly or block placements?

I'm expecting the work load to be much heavier than that of my first degree in music - how much contact time is there? When are exams and assignments due it etc?

Thank you! Great to have someone to ask! :smile:

No problem :smile: I had nobody to ask so thought it may be useful to see if anyone had any questions.

There are two mature students in my year, one being 22 and the other 33 when they started. There are also many who have taken a gap year and so start at 19.

The first placement is in a nursery which starts at the end of February. You spend about 3 hours there once a week for 5 weeks. There was also one session at a dysarthria clinic which occurs around the same time.

At the most the contact time was around 15/16 hours but this wasn't every week. In semester 2 the contact hours reduce by quite a lot towards the end, I have around 5 hours for the next 4 weeks after easter.

3 assignments are due in before you break up for christmas and 4 assignments and a group presentation are due in just after easter. In total you have 4 exams, 2 in January and 2 in May/June.

Hope this helps :smile:
Does anybody know when the last interview date is at BCU? Ive still not heard and wondered if I may get in on the last interview date or mop up session? x
Wow AAB seems a lot for bcu compared to mine. I'm predicted ABC but I think I'll try and get ABB if I can, what's your predicted grades? :smile: I really regret taking chemistry now though because it's really hard to get like a B or higher but oh well I think I will be fine to get at least what they're offering anyway :smile: and I'm kind of glad that they only offered me BBC because it takes the pressure off a little bit so I'm not so stressed waiting for results :smile: and me too! I'll probably be really nervous on the first week of uni because it's all so different to being in sixth form but I'm really looking forward to it too! :biggrin: x

well BTEC grades are different :smile: DDM will be easy for me to get as I'm aiming high with D*D*D :P so should be okay :smile: just gotta find some motivation as I am soo bored of college now. I kinda just want to get it done with and finish for summer. and ahh thats good then about your grades, always aim high - well it works for me. :P I would have failed A levels if i continued... I like failed AS and then decided it wasnt for me and went to college :P Yeah i know what you mean, I dont really have as much pressure as mines coursework so I kinda know what i need to get in each subject/unit :smile: And yeah i'm going to be pretty nervous too, soo scared I wont fit in or something. But then everyones in the same boat, which makes me feel better :P and yeah I actually cant wait ! :biggrin: Have you recieved any information from BCU since you accepted them? (you firmed didnt you? - I have a hopeless memory). I want to just start my bursary stuff, and also am looking at accommodation as I kinda want to get that done, but want to know where others are looking :smile: x
well BTEC grades are different :smile: DDM will be easy for me to get as I'm aiming high with D*D*D :P so should be okay :smile: just gotta find some motivation as I am soo bored of college now. I kinda just want to get it done with and finish for summer. and ahh thats good then about your grades, always aim high - well it works for me. :P I would have failed A levels if i continued... I like failed AS and then decided it wasnt for me and went to college :P Yeah i know what you mean, I dont really have as much pressure as mines coursework so I kinda know what i need to get in each subject/unit :smile: And yeah i'm going to be pretty nervous too, soo scared I wont fit in or something. But then everyones in the same boat, which makes me feel better :P and yeah I actually cant wait ! :biggrin: Have you recieved any information from BCU since you accepted them? (you firmed didnt you? - I have a hopeless memory). I want to just start my bursary stuff, and also am looking at accommodation as I kinda want to get that done, but want to know where others are looking :smile: x

Oh me too! I hhave next to no motivation right now haha I just want exams to be over already but I also don't because I'm not in the mood to do a lot of revision. Yeah I bet everyone will be scared of not fitting in too but I will definitely be one of them haha and I haven't firmed yet, I think I'll be doing it tomorrow :smile: have you heard anything from them since you firmed yet? I think I will properly look through all the accomodation options tomorrow once my easter hols start and I don't have essays to do lol so I'll definitely let you know where I'll be considering. Have you applied for Student Finance yet? Oh and they do send all the bursary stuff through the post right? :smile: x
Reply 4032
Original post by jinnytee
Also, what did your offer letters state ? Mine all said that I had been offered a place and stated that I had been assessed as an overseas student regarding fees.

Hope you get through with a decision soon ...... this must be worse than when you were waiting for offer replies.

I haven't received my offer letter yet, I got the offer on track on Monday and firmed it straight away. I've emailed the eligibility team again with some of the links and explaining my situation in more detail. I might give them one more day to reply and then ring the helpdesk again.

Jinny and Spence, thank you so much for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
Oh me too! I hhave next to no motivation right now haha I just want exams to be over already but I also don't because I'm not in the mood to do a lot of revision. Yeah I bet everyone will be scared of not fitting in too but I will definitely be one of them haha and I haven't firmed yet, I think I'll be doing it tomorrow :smile: have you heard anything from them since you firmed yet? I think I will properly look through all the accomodation options tomorrow once my easter hols start and I don't have essays to do lol so I'll definitely let you know where I'll be considering. Have you applied for Student Finance yet? Oh and they do send all the bursary stuff through the post right? :smile: x

I thought my motivation would increase when I got BCU but its not, although its made me kinda just wanna get it over and done with but everytime i sit and try and do college assignments my mind gets distracted :P and where willl your insurance be? my insurance is DMU :smile: not too sure if have to do anything for there or if just leave them lol :smile: and nope not heard anything yet :frown: yeah applied for the student finance loan although i dont think its done without the bursary information which we dont get aparently till june or sometime so dont think much else I can do with that until then :smile: Yeah accommodation is what i am trying to think of now, its a toss up between IQ which is nearer and cheaper, or Opal1 which is further away and more exppensive. Not many people I dont think know of IQ because its not on bcu website because its private. I definately prefer the location of IQ though. type them both in google to find them :smile: x
I thought my motivation would increase when I got BCU but its not, although its made me kinda just wanna get it over and done with but everytime i sit and try and do college assignments my mind gets distracted :P and where willl your insurance be? my insurance is DMU :smile: not too sure if have to do anything for there or if just leave them lol :smile: and nope not heard anything yet :frown: yeah applied for the student finance loan although i dont think its done without the bursary information which we dont get aparently till june or sometime so dont think much else I can do with that until then :smile: Yeah accommodation is what i am trying to think of now, its a toss up between IQ which is nearer and cheaper, or Opal1 which is further away and more exppensive. Not many people I dont think know of IQ because its not on bcu website because its private. I definately prefer the location of IQ though. type them both in google to find them :smile: x

If i don't get the grades for MMU and end up at BCU, i really wanna stay it IQ instead of the city south accommodation! Looks really nice! Hopefully i will get the grades for MMU tho!
Reply 4035
Original post by slt2015
No problem :smile: I had nobody to ask so thought it may be useful to see if anyone had any questions.

There are two mature students in my year, one being 22 and the other 33 when they started. There are also many who have taken a gap year and so start at 19.

The first placement is in a nursery which starts at the end of February. You spend about 3 hours there once a week for 5 weeks. There was also one session at a dysarthria clinic which occurs around the same time.

At the most the contact time was around 15/16 hours but this wasn't every week. In semester 2 the contact hours reduce by quite a lot towards the end, I have around 5 hours for the next 4 weeks after easter.

3 assignments are due in before you break up for christmas and 4 assignments and a group presentation are due in just after easter. In total you have 4 exams, 2 in January and 2 in May/June.

Hope this helps :smile:

Great answers, thanks! I'm really looking forward to starting, where ever I end up.

I thought that was the case about mature students at Sheffield - I get the impression that at other universities have about 50/50 school leavers/mature students, and I wonder why this isn't the case at Sheffield. I suppose it shouldn't really put me off though!

One other question, I won't be moving into halls, but into a 1-2 bed flat with my boyfriend. What areas should I look in? Not necessarily looking for an area that's too studenty, but at the same time not too far away from everything!

Thank you!!
Reply 4036
Original post by Lusanda
Great answers, thanks! I'm really looking forward to starting, where ever I end up.

I thought that was the case about mature students at Sheffield - I get the impression that at other universities have about 50/50 school leavers/mature students, and I wonder why this isn't the case at Sheffield. I suppose it shouldn't really put me off though!

One other question, I won't be moving into halls, but into a 1-2 bed flat with my boyfriend. What areas should I look in? Not necessarily looking for an area that's too studenty, but at the same time not too far away from everything!

Thank you!!

It is a fantastic course and i'm sure you will enjoy it wherever you decide to go.

I think the split may not be as equal at Sheffield due to the masters course they also run, I think the majority of mature students are likely to apply for the masters over the undergraduate course. Though I may be wrong.
The mature students get on really well with everyone in the year and I don't think they've had any problems. The uni does provide a lot of opportunities for mature students to meet and get to know each other, in case you're worried you won't meet anyone your own age.
Broomhill, Crookes, Crookesmoor, Fulwood and Ecclesall are all in walking distance of the uni but are generally quite studenty. You could also try looking in the city centre. I'm not really familiar with non studenty places to live in Sheffield so i'm not sure I can be of much help.
Im SO worried now. Just spoken to DMU and they said the reason they are taking so long is because there is a problem with my application. Apparently the Access to HE I completed (especially in order to do SLT) is not good enough to meet entry requirements as they dont agree with them being used for GCSE equivalents (which was the whole reason I did it in the first place). Apparently they are looking into it and it could take a while. I just dont get it, that was the whole purpose of me doing the access course to gain my GCSE equivalents and it was a proper Access to HE course and not a mickey mouse one. Now im so worried and angry and wont find anything out till after easter. Its states on their entry requirements that its acceptable yet now they are saying it may not count. On top of this ive done An Intro to Health and Social Care with Open Uni which also counts as an Access Course on its own. Im just on such a downer cause they may reject me now. What a HUGE waste of time (2yrs) and money (£800) to do the Access course if it doesnt even count! :frown:
Reply 4038
Original post by pink_flamingo
Im SO worried now. Just spoken to DMU and they said the reason they are taking so long is because there is a problem with my application. Apparently the Access to HE I completed (especially in order to do SLT) is not good enough to meet entry requirements as they dont agree with them being used for GCSE equivalents (which was the whole reason I did it in the first place). Apparently they are looking into it and it could take a while. I just dont get it, that was the whole purpose of me doing the access course to gain my GCSE equivalents and it was a proper Access to HE course and not a mickey mouse one. Now im so worried and angry and wont find anything out till after easter. Its states on their entry requirements that its acceptable yet now they are saying it may not count. On top of this ive done An Intro to Health and Social Care with Open Uni which also counts as an Access Course on its own. Im just on such a downer cause they may reject me now. What a HUGE waste of time (2yrs) and money (£800) to do the Access course if it doesnt even count! :frown:

That doesn't sound right?! I'm a third year at DMU and there are people on my course who did the access course to get on?!! I did think the access was equivalent to A Levels though and not GCSE's?? Although as I have never looked into it myself I may have got that wrong? Hope you get it sorted and they accept your application!!
Original post by Han265
That doesn't sound right?! I'm a third year at DMU and there are people on my course who did the access course to get on?!! I did think the access was equivalent to A Levels though and not GCSE's?? Although as I have never looked into it myself I may have got that wrong? Hope you get it sorted and they accept your application!!

Thank you so much. Something is not right. Yes exactly the Access Course was mainly to reach A Level standard which I did but in Mathematics and Science I only required level 2s instead of 3s in order to reach GCSE equivalent as unfortunatly I got 'Ds' at school. Ive never had any problems with my Access Course before and I did it to reach the require standard to get into uni. They say they are looking into it but dont know if they'll be able to accept me :-(

Quick Reply

Latest