The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redbuthotter
Imagine Mr Miyagi, but better.

He's just very well schooled on re/prehab from having genetically "unideal" joints for lifting, so has had to do a lot of research which other people havn't.

That and he's a massive geek.

fair enough!
Reply 921
Plus he's Asian. Yes I know racist.
Reply 922
tbf my friends in real-life who do splits are pretty big despite squatting and deadlifting so little. for instance my buddy squats 140kg for sets of 6 but he has swole ass legs from doing other **** such as leg extensions leg press etc etc,

very rarely you see people who do full body workouts with an awesome physique, for example i was on youtube today and watched a posing video....and this one dude has swole ass legs but he only squats 130x10....not much taking into consideration the size of his legs.
Reply 923
Original post by RawJoh1
The problem is you get two extreme camps the SS purists (probably more the kind of people who post on SS.com rather than Rippetoe etc) on one side who say that all you need for good arms is barbells and on the other side you've got the traditional bodypart split, hit bench once a week type guys. What's optimal probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Very true, they take the piss out of curls and say you build big arms without hitting them but in all honesty they will look a lot better with direct arm work
Saying something is better than another thing doesn't mean the other thing is bad.

This is pointless. You care far too much. Maybe spend your time more on things that matter? Haters gon' hate as the saying goes.
Reply 925
Everyone's getting a tad worked up over this whole hodgetwins shiz. Used to watch them but got bored.

But I think we can all clarify that Mikey has a bit of a bromance for them :colone:
In reality I just dislike close-minded people when it comes to training.

I used to be like that too when I was on SS. Saw people doing curls thinking "What an idiot, Mark Rip is a god and he tells you not to do them until you squat 400kg".

Then you begin to realise there are different ways to skin a cat. Further, I don't think any of us can really comment on bodybuilding when none of us do it. None of us are particularly big, let's be honest.
Mark Rippetoe has never said not to do curls. If he did then I have no idea why there'd be four pages devoted on how to do them in his book (and another two on triceps extensions and pull downs).
Reply 928
Original post by Michael XYZ
In reality I just dislike close-minded people when it comes to training.

I used to be like that too when I was on SS. Saw people doing curls thinking "What an idiot, Mark Rip is a god and he tells you not to do them until you squat 400kg".

Then you begin to realise there are different ways to skin a cat. Further, I don't think any of us can really comment on bodybuilding when none of us do it. None of us are particularly big, let's be honest.

speak for yourself, i'm swole :colone:
Reply 929
I lost my creatine bag. Still had like 300g left. Who the **** loses creatine? lol
Tbh the best arm improvements I've seen are from hitting db bench lately for sets.

Noticeable difference in arm size I've been told in the last month said a few people. Curls did nothing.
Reply 931
I guess this is why I dislike bodybuilding as opposed to PLing, the actual foundation of universally agreeable science seems to be so small.
Original post by Mdawg
I guess this is why I dislike bodybuilding as opposed to PLing, the actual foundation of universally agreeable science seems to be so small.

Well that's because to get anywhere in bodybuilding you need the right genetics, and if you have the right genetics then what you do isn't that important.

Oh and steroids too.

Why I like powerlifting as opposed to bodybuilding is that you don't need to strip down to a thong and get your mate to shave your ass so that you can pose for other men.
Reply 933
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh the best arm improvements I've seen are from hitting db bench lately for sets.

Noticeable difference in arm size I've been told in the last month said a few people. Curls did nothing.

i noticed the most difference from direct arm work, also db shoulder presses kill the triceps
Because powerlifters all have poor genetics and don't take steroids.

Herpy derpy derp.
Maybe its easier for someone with poor genetics to make it in PL vs BB. Idk....

Herpy derpy derp.
I think getting to the top in either takes a lot of drugs and genetics. Stupidly hard work will get you very far though.

Herpy derpy derp.

What the **** are you even talking about?
Reply 938
I think getting to the top in either takes a lot of drugs and genetics. Stupidly hard work will get you very far though.

I agrizzle, my nizzle
Didn't see you telling that guy to not do calf raises on the smith machine. :biggrin:

**** only just heard about this yesterday. Apparently dude got crushed by 150 kg's. Sounds grim.

Latest