Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR English AS F662: What counts as a quote?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my coursework and I'm trying to count my quotes for word count. However if you use a quote and reuse a specific word again from that quote, does that count as another word for quote count?
    E.g. "English confuses me" and I explained or reused the word "confuses" either as a reoccuring theme or connotations etc. Would I recount "confuses" again as I re used it?

Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the OCR specification, it clearly states that quotes are not included in the word count.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/oc...it_f662_cg.pdf

Look at page 23, sub-heading Quotations.

Hope this helps!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pindaaa)
    On the OCR specification, it clearly states that quotes are not included in the word count.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/oc...it_f662_cg.pdf

Look at page 23, sub-heading Quotations.

Hope this helps!
    Presumably why the question is being asked? As whether or not they're included is a separate question to what a quote is.

I've no experience of OCR exams but it would seem very strange if reuse of the word was counted as a quote.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Presumably why the question is being asked? As whether or not they're included is a separate question to what a quote is.

I've no experience of OCR exams but it would seem very strange if reuse of the word was counted as a quote.
    Basically, anything that is taken directly from the novel/play/text/poem should be quoted. So if the OP did reuse confuses, he/she would have to show that it has been quoted.

But the OP was asking whether they would have to recount the word, and that is why I mentioned that quotes are not included into the word count as quotes are not counted anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pindaaa)
    Basically, anything that is taken directly from the novel/play/text/poem should be quoted. So if the OP did reuse confuses, he/she would have to show that it has been quoted.

But the OP was asking whether they would have to recount the word, and that is why I mentioned that quotes are not included into the word count as quotes are not counted anyway.
    Thanks, I will count it as a quote. Since I frequently use this particular word from the quote to answer the coursework question.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I count characters' names and the author's name as quotes?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JEFFERSON)
    Can I count characters' names and the author's name as quotes?
    I haven't as names aren't specific quote from the text. However you could ask your teacher just to make sure.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.