The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
thanks! good luck to everyone else too :smile: !
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3341
Original post by Hom
What course r u doing??

I'm doing English.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Original post by *Corinna*
Congratulations, Linacre has a great atmosphere among its students and very good accommodation :smile:

Thanks! I'm getting used to the idea. Must say that it was not what I wanted, but I'm warming up to it. Coming to Oxford next week to see it.
Original post by rafale
Hi Gabrielle,

What was your offer?...... if you don't mind me asking.

Also, you can ask people at Oxford if they want your study abroad grades.

Thanks.

They did ask for my study abroad grades when I applied (after all, one year in a three year BA is a lot!), I was wondering if they'd want the official transcript along with my home uni one, or if the electronic one I had originally sent was enough. Anyway, I'll just send the home one like Misha j. suggested and wait to see if they ask me for anything else!

My offer was to achieve a 3.5 GPA.
Alright guys. I've been waitlisted. I know I should be happier, and I know that it's not a flat out "No." Still, I can't help feeling a little upset about it, like I could have done more to make my application stronger. How often do people really decline offers from Oxford anyway, especially for a course that has very few slots (less than 20)??
Reply 3345
Original post by Alilaya263
Alright guys. I've been waitlisted. I know I should be happier, and I know that it's not a flat out "No." Still, I can't help feeling a little upset about it, like I could have done more to make my application stronger. How often do people really decline offers from Oxford anyway, especially for a course that has very few slots (less than 20)??

Accepting the offer and raising the necessary funds are a world apart for many people.
Original post by Alilaya263

You can look at the statistics here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/graduate_admissions_statistics/index.html

Looks like on average they make almost twice as many offers as places available, so almost half of all people may end up not taking up the offer.
Original post by HLS
The Humanities open day was in November last year :smile:

Ah thank you! I was interested in the MSt in Medieval History- so November would seem probable then. They do post them on the website closer the time, I assume? It's so exciting! :biggrin:
Reply 3348
Original post by kittyb99
Ah thank you! I was interested in the MSt in Medieval History- so November would seem probable then. They do post them on the website closer the time, I assume? It's so exciting! :biggrin:

Yes the website is usually updated for the forthcoming academic year's application round over the summer, whereupon dates and information will probably be posted.

Keep in mind that last November was the first ever postgraduate humanities open day! I assume they intend to repeat it this November.
Original post by HLS
Yes the website is usually updated for the forthcoming academic year's application round over the summer, whereupon dates and information will probably be posted.

Keep in mind that last November was the first ever postgraduate humanities open day! I assume they intend to repeat it this November.

Oh, I didn't realise it was their first! Seems like a good idea though- it will be nice to have a chat to the department, though i will probably have sent my application off by that point so there will already be no turning back! :P
Reply 3350
Original post by Fayre
I'm doing English.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

I've just heard from Wolfson (email, early this am) -- best of luck to those waiting!

Again, I applied January in EngSci.
Reply 3351
Oh, I didn't realise it was their first! Seems like a good idea though- it will be nice to have a chat to the department, though i will probably have sent my application off by that point so there will already be no turning back! :P

Are you an international applicant then?

I think this means you must apply by November 20th? If I remember correctly the open day was on November 11th last year.

It is very useful for chatting to the departmental/course leaders. Would thoroughly recommend attending.
Reply 3352
Hi,

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just a request, if you get offers from Oxford, please tell us what offers you have and for what conditions.

Much appreciated!
Original post by HLS
Are you an international applicant then?

I think this means you must apply by November 20th? If I remember correctly the open day was on November 11th last year.

It is very useful for chatting to the departmental/course leaders. Would thoroughly recommend attending.

Nooo, I'm English, but I want to make sure that I get my application submitted early enough to be considered for every bit of funding possible! I need to look into funding dates in more detail though- I've only really looked into the deadlines for Cambridge so far. It would be nice if the finding consideration deadline wasn't as early as the Cambridge one though!
Reply 3354
Nooo, I'm English, but I want to make sure that I get my application submitted early enough to be considered for every bit of funding possible! I need to look into funding dates in more detail though- I've only really looked into the deadlines for Cambridge so far. It would be nice if the finding consideration deadline wasn't as early as the Cambridge one though!

The deadline for funding consideration at Oxford is the January deadline.

Cambridge, inexplicably, published a deadline last year for (I think) October to be considered for funding!? This was subsequently amended (I think) to January.

I didn't apply there in the end anyway as I had my heart set on Oxford and have now, miraculously, secured a place!
Original post by HLS
The deadline for funding consideration at Oxford is the January deadline.

Cambridge, inexplicably, published a deadline last year for (I think) October to be considered for funding!? This was subsequently amended (I think) to January.

I didn't apply there in the end anyway as I had my heart set on Oxford and have now, miraculously, secured a place!

Oh excellent! At least Michaelmas Term won't be a frantic rush to get the proposals done then! I'm torn between Oxford and Cambridge- both have Latin courses included, but the main syllabus tends to vary slightly between the two universities. I think I will see if either actually give me an offer, then go from there. Well don on your offer- what are you studying? Is the standard offer a 67 or do they tend to ask for a First? You've been very helpful, by the way, thanks :smile:
Reply 3356
Oh excellent! At least Michaelmas Term won't be a frantic rush to get the proposals done then! I'm torn between Oxford and Cambridge- both have Latin courses included, but the main syllabus tends to vary slightly between the two universities. I think I will see if either actually give me an offer, then go from there. Well don on your offer- what are you studying? Is the standard offer a 67 or do they tend to ask for a First? You've been very helpful, by the way, thanks :smile:

I'll be studying Economic History. I think the standard offer is 67 at both Oxford and Cambridge but this is not a rigid requirement and they can increase it for some or decrease it for others.

As for your course the syllabus was slightly different between the two Universities for mine. In the end I preferred that at Oxford but it's a close run thing - Oxford ultimately had the supervisor I wanted which settled it :smile:
Original post by HLS
I'll be studying Economic History. I think the standard offer is 67 at both Oxford and Cambridge but this is not a rigid requirement and they can increase it for some or decrease it for others.

As for your course the syllabus was slightly different between the two Universities for mine. In the end I preferred that at Oxford but it's a close run thing - Oxford ultimately had the supervisor I wanted which settled it :smile:

Do you do Modern or Medieval Economic History? I'm hopefully going to be doing Late Medieval Economic History if I can think of an interesting proposal that isn't just an extension of my dissertation. 67 does seem like a fairly reasonable offer though :smile:
Reply 3358
Do you do Modern or Medieval Economic History? I'm hopefully going to be doing Late Medieval Economic History if I can think of an interesting proposal that isn't just an extension of my dissertation. 67 does seem like a fairly reasonable offer though :smile:

Modern for me. What area of Medieval Economic History are you interested in? There are a few projects in Medieval Economic History going on at the department right now. Some have been highly successful.
Original post by HLS
Modern for me. What area of Medieval Economic History are you interested in? There are a few projects in Medieval Economic History going on at the department right now. Some have been highly successful.

Are you more focused on 20th century economic history, or is your interest slightly earlier? I'm interested in comparisons of economic situations throughout the British Isles, so I was thinking for my postgraduate research I may want to take that further though I haven't yet decided how, but hopefully it will be more clear once I have seen what data there is available. It's reassuring to know that there is an interest in Medieval Economics at Oxford. Oh yes, and do they interview postgraduate applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending