The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
I was agreeing with Jester.
If you enter a debate with an opinion based on nothing but your feelings and then when someone says 'but your feelings shouldn't dictate someone else's life' you say you never meant it that way, then what was the point of joining the debate if you have nothing to debate?
I'm not attacking you, I just don't understand your point.

I know you were agreeing with Jester. I was taking your point and using it in a different way.
Original post by thescientist17
I know you were agreeing with Jester. I was taking your point and using it in a different way.

I still don't know what your point is then...
Reply 1062
Original post by Jester94
Homosexuality =/= infertility.
Gay couples are not the same as mixed-species couples.

Studies and research show that having two parents of the same sex does not adversely affect the development of a child in comparison to a child, compared to a heterosexual couple; both are equally capable of raising a child well. Though, seeing as you believe children are best raised by a traditional couple, presumably you are also opposed to single people adopting?

If I suddenly withdrew your privilege to adopt, because of something you cannot change yet does not affect your ability to be a good parent, how would you feel?

I didn't say gays were infertile, I was simply stating a biological FACT that homosexual couples are incapable of reproducing without the help of third parties. This is a disadvantage that most straight couples aren't burdened with. Unfortunately we have to make difficult decisions about who is and who isn't suitable to be adoptive parents and I'm of the opinion that homosexual couples fall into the latter category. If nature/God (or whatever) had meant for homosexuals to have children they'd have been be equipped with the biological gear necessary to conceive, as they havn't I can only conclude that it's not meant to be.
Reply 1063
Original post by chefdave
I didn't say gays were infertile, I was simply stating a biological FACT that homosexual couples are incapable of reproducing without the help of third parties. This is a disadvantage that most straight couples aren't burdened with. Unfortunately we have to make difficult decisions about who is and who isn't suitable to be adoptive parents and I'm of the opinion that homosexual couples fall into the latter category. If nature/God (or whatever) had meant for homosexuals to have children they'd have been be equipped with the biological gear necessary to conceive, as they havn't I can only conclude that it's not meant to be.

No you didn't state that, you said that gay people can't have children; gay people can have children, just not, as you said, with each other. However, the ability to biologically conceive a child with your partner has no effect on whether or not you would make a good parent. Presumably, given that they also can't have a child with their partner without the help of third parties, you don't think infertile people should be allowed to adopt?

Fertility and ability to conceive with your partner is not a reflection of your suitability to be a parent - one only has to look at the numerous shoddy heterosexual parents out there to see that.
Reply 1064
If nature/God (or whatever) had meant for homosexuals to have children they'd have been be equipped with the biological gear necessary to conceive, as they havn't I can only conclude that it's not meant to be.

Unless you want to presuppose god, then nothing was meant to be - without intent, things just are. Anyway, this argument also bans infertile couples from adopting and forbids all IVF and other reproductive technology.

You didn't state that they couldn't have children without a third party, you stated that they couldn't have children - and that's what you were pulled up on.
I don't believe in God, so I'm not going to get into that argument. And nature doesn't 'mean' for anything to happen, evolution doesn't have intentionality.
As other people have said, your argument includes infertile straight couples - if they were 'meant' to have a baby, they'd be able to have one.
Your argument also has no basis. Our abilities to have children and our abilities to care for and raise children are not linked - that's why there are terrible parents that have their own biological children, and some parents that adopt and are really good parents. And as mentioned, they can still have children with the opposite sex should they choose to so they would fall under your 'good parents' category.
Unless you mean to say that the sexuality of them is what makes them good or bad parents, and that's been shown to not be true by research.
Reply 1066
Gay people can have children (unless they are infertile, but that is nothing to do with their sexuality). And sexuality does not affect your ability to be a parent - or the research would not show that same-sex couples are as good at parenting as their opposite-sex counterparts.
And while I agree that adopting a child is a priviledge, you wouldn't deny a straight couple the opportunity to adopt because of something outside their control that doesn't affect their ability to care for children (them both having blue eyes for example - has as much affect on your ability to raise children as being gay does). Fair enough if there is something about a particular gay couple that means that they wouldn't be good parents, they should be subject to the same checks as a straight couple - but that goes without saying.

Would you accept that a menage a trois should also be granted the right to adopt? Unfortunately we set a precedent by allowing homosexual couples to adopt so we'll end up putting vulnerable children in the middle of all sorts of weird and wacky living arrangements, it's better to just draw a clear line in the sand and allow people involved in untraditional relationships to sort their affairs out privately.
(edited 11 years ago)
Would you accept that a menage a trois should also be granted the right to adopt children taken into the state's care? Unfortunately we set a precedent by allowing homosexual couples to adopt so we'll end up putting vulnerable children in the middle of all sorts of weird and wacky living arrangements, it's better to just draw a clear line in the sand and allow people involved in untraditional relationships to sort their affairs out privately.

If they pass the same tests and possess the same attributes that will result in them being deemed to be good parents as couples do, then why not? Assuming they're all as dedicated to each other as a couple would be, the structure of their relationship will not affect whether they are good parents or not. Something else existing within the menage a trois relationship dynamic such as jealousy and potential violence etc. might, but then they'd more than likely be caught by the screening process in this case. Maybe there would be justification for a slightly more stringent screening process, but I don't see the problem.
Reply 1068
Would you accept that a menage a trois should also be granted the right to adopt? Unfortunately we set a precedent by allowing homosexual couples to adopt so we'll end up putting vulnerable children in the middle of all sorts of weird and wacky living arrangements, it's better to just draw a clear line in the sand and allow people involved in untraditional relationships to sort their affairs out privately.

You're assuming at a menage a trois would be an unsuitable environment, but I'm not aware of any reason to think that's the case. It would need thinking about, but there's no reason to bar it automatically because it's a plural relationship. I'd rather make a decision based on whether or not it's an environment in which a child can be raised to be a happy, health, productive member of society.
Reply 1069
Should homophobes be allowed to exist? Better question.

Seriously, let's be honest. The only reason why homosexuals wouldn't be allowed to adopt is homophobia. Let's stamp this ignorant mindset out now.
Reply 1070

You are automatically assuming that would be a poor environment for a child to live in, but if they can show they function in the same way a couple would (i.e. committed to the other members of the relationship equally) and that they would provide the right environment to raise that child in, then we shouldn't automatically rule it out. As previously stated, more checks would be an option, given the different relationship dynamic, but there is no reason to automatically rule it out.
Reply 1071
If a gay or lesbian couple can offer a child unconditional love, care and support - I don't have a problem with it.

There are many heterosexual couples who are unable to fulfill that criteria.
Reply 1072
Original post by DRE_902
If a gay or lesbian couple can offer a child unconditional love, care and support - I don't have a problem with it.

There are many heterosexual couples who are unable to fulfill that criteria.

I think some homosexual couples would be better parents than heterosexual couples.
Reply 1073
Original post by Jester94
No you didn't state that, you said that gay people can't have children; gay people can have children, just not, as you said, with each other. However, the ability to biologically conceive a child with your partner has no effect on whether or not you would make a good parent. Presumably, given that they also can't have a child with their partner without the help of third parties, you don't think infertile people should be allowed to adopt?

Fertility and ability to conceive with your partner is not a reflection of your suitability to be a parent - one only has to look at the numerous shoddy heterosexual parents out there to see that.

No, if anything infertile straight couples should be given priority status when it comes to adopting because their living arrangements are more stable than couples who are able to bear children.

When nature fixes it so that the majority of gay couples are able to conceive naturally I'll be happy to reconsider my stance on the matter, up until that day though I'll be of the opinion that homosexual child rearing is both unnatural and unwanted.
(edited 11 years ago)
No, if anything infertile straight couples should be given priority status when it comes to adopting because their living arrangements are more stable than couples who are able to bear children.

When nature fixes it so that the majority of gay couples are able to conceive naturally I'll be happy to reconsider my stance on the matter, up until that day though I'll be of the opinion that homosexual child rearing is both unnatural and unwanted.

But why? Nature has obv fixed so they are not to have children. Who are you to go against nature?

About 50% of all married people get divorced. Stable. Yeaaaaah...

You are entitled to your opinion, but you opinion does not go along with studies that have been done in the past 30 years or so.
Reply 1075

And how is that? As I have already said, fertility, or lack thereof, is not a representation of a person's capacity as a parent.

I assume then that you, a person who is debating this issue from a computer through the internet, also steer clear of all other 'unnatural' things then?

Well they can't produce children, and by your own logic that means it is unnatural for them to have children. You cannot say that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to adopt because they can't produce children (even if they can) but then say that infertile people can adopt children without having an inconsistency in your views.
And just because something is unnatural doesn't mean it is bad or unwanted. You're on the internet!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1077
Original post by FatCharlie
But why? Nature has obv fixed so they are not to have children. Who are you to go against nature?

About 50% of all married people get divorced. Stable. Yeaaaaah...

You are entitled to your opinion, but you opinion does not go along with studies that have been done in the past 30 years or so.

These studies you speak of are meaningless because there's no way to isolate all the variables and just test the impact of homosexuality on child rearing. To conduct a fair test everything would need to be identical: wages, accommodation, diet, the child etc etc so that you were certain you were only testing one variable: sexuality. As this is impossible I put it to you that those studies don't have an ounce of credibility. The truth is we just don't know what the impact is, so it's better to use a tried and trusted method and allow straight couples and only straight couples to adopt children. These fancy liberal alternatives aren't worth the risk.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1078
Well they can't produce children, and by your own logic that means it is unnatural for them to have children. You cannot say that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to adopt because they can't produce children (even if they can) but then say that infertile people can adopt children without having an inconsistency in your views.
And just because something is unnatural doesn't mean it is bad or unwanted. You're on the internet!

If you were a child in care and had the option of choosing between an infertile straight couple and a gay couple as adoptive parents which would you pick? And why?
Reply 1079
If you were a child in care and had the option of choosing between an infertile straight couple and a gay couple as adoptive parents which would you pick? And why?

Ideally, the child would want to be adopted by the couple that provides them with the best possible upbringing, regardless of sexuality.

Anyway, don't you proclaim yourself a Libertarian, in which case, surely based on your principles, gay couples should be at liberty to adopt if they so wish, without interference from the pesky government that you so strongly oppose?

Latest

Trending

Trending