Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
anyone have the multichoice answers?
Reply 61
Original post by Niamh-94
Holy Moly!:confused:

That was awful to say the least!
I can usually do a past paper in a hour and half but by God, I did not have that much time left over, I probably only had an extra 20 minutes or so and I had lots of things to go back at look at.

To me it seemed: (i) To have too much content
(ii) To be very heavy on unit 3

The only consolation we can all take is, that if we are all sitting here thinking it was awful, there might me adjustments made to the pass/grade %

Good luck for the rest of your exams everyone xxx :smile:

thats what i'm hoping, no-one has said it was okay, so they will probably lower the grades a couple of percent hopefully!
Original post by Alice453
anyone have the multichoice answers?

Q1 was alpha

Q's 2-40, God only knows! :tongue:

(Starting to doubt even question 1 now :redface:)
Original post by NMx11
How did you find it?

Original post by NMx11
Hahahahaha! What an earth was that?!!

Ugh, I KNOW. I made soooo many silly mistakes on reflection. I hope I've done enough to get a good pass. Hoping for a B at least. It didn't help that because I was doing AH they shunted me out of the (super quiet) assembly hall and into the room next door to, below, and above 3 full classrooms. Did not get a moment's quiet. Noise all the way through, which I'm going to blame for the silly mistakes.

The multiple choice seemed so stacked. Asked very little unit 1, asked about all the bits of unit 2 I struggled with, then the rest of the questions of unit 3! Ridiculous!

I'm a bit sceptical about my NMR graph at the end, seemed too simple. Had two peaks very close together representing the 2 environments for hydrogen. Because they fell into the same 1.6 - 2.6 ppm range. So just did one at 2, and one at 2.3-ish. :tongue:
Reply 64
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I'm a bit sceptical about my NMR graph at the end, seemed too simple. Had two peaks very close together representing the 2 environments for hydrogen. Because they fell into the same 1.6 - 2.6 ppm range. So just did one at 2, and one at 2.3-ish. :tongue:

We were to draw a graph? :O I drew the molecule :smile: whoopsie.
Reply 65
Ugh, I KNOW. I made soooo many silly mistakes on reflection. I hope I've done enough to get a good pass. Hoping for a B at least. It didn't help that because I was doing AH they shunted me out of the (super quiet) assembly hall and into the room next door to, below, and above 3 full classrooms. Did not get a moment's quiet. Noise all the way through, which I'm going to blame for the silly mistakes.

The multiple choice seemed so stacked. Asked very little unit 1, asked about all the bits of unit 2 I struggled with, then the rest of the questions of unit 3! Ridiculous!

Hmm my second peak was just before the 6ppm mark :frown: Guess i've got that one wrong too...
Reply 66

I cant believe how many stupid mistakes I did too! And the questions were ridiculous! There was no G, S or H calculations :frown:
I only had two peaks too, one at 1 the other at 2... :tongue:
Reply 67
What was the graph question relating to the order of a reaction all about?! I'd never seen one like that before, so I guessed 1st order for part i and 2nd order for part ii.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by NMx11
I cant believe how many stupid mistakes I did too! And the questions were ridiculous! There was no G, S or H calculations :frown:

Same what did you make the ratio of the peak sizes?
Reply 69
It was missing the 'banker' questions that seem to come up every year. No drawing of an addition or sn1/2 mechanism. No S calculation, or anything about shapes of molecules.
Barely any Unit 1, too much unit 3, and the dark side of unit 2. Even the kinetics question, which is the bit i had 'mastered' during the year, was very obscure
Original post by NMx11

I did one at 1 originally too, because that's what it gives for a CH3 group at the top! But rubbed it out because I saw on the databook there as a range for CH3C=C--- that was 1.6 - 2.6. So I thought my first peak had to be wrong because that range described the molecule of but-2-ene exactly in the examples it gave, and rubbed it out and moved it beside the two.

And yeah, the lack of those pissed me off because that's the bit of Unit 2 I'm really good. And the lack of reaction mechanisms annoyed me because I spent the MOST time going over them, and it never even asked about a mechanism! The only thing remotely like it it asked was to draw the transition state of the SN2 reaction. Stupid paper.

Original post by john4994
It was missing the 'banker' questions that seem to come up every year. No drawing of an addition or sn1/2 mechanism. No S calculation, or anything about shapes of molecules.
Barely any Unit 1, too much unit 3, and the dark side of unit 2. Even the kinetics question, which is the bit i had 'mastered' during the year, was very obscure

Ahh, there was 2. One in the multiple choice about molecule with 3 atoms in a line. SF6. And the shape of a BH3 molecule. Trigonal planar.

Original post by jordan0141

Same size because there were 2 copies of each environment. Boils down to a 1:1 ratio.

Original post by NR09
What was the graph question relating to the order of a reaction all about?! I'd never seen one like that before, so I guessed 1st order for part i and 2nd order for part ii.

I said zero order for part i, the gradient of the line never changed so the concentration had no effect on the rate. And for ii I said first order. Just looked right. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by NR09
What was the graph question relating to the order of a reaction?! I'd never seen one like that before, so I guessed 1st order for part i and 2nd order for part ii.

I put zero for A, as gradient is constant, and first for B. Don't take my word for it though!
i thought that was pretty harsh... been doing well up til now but i'd be very happy with a B from that :/ no easy G/S/H question, born haber cycle, very odd way of doing rate?! benzoic acid ppa question was a disaster, almost wrote the marker a message which would have been a mixture of apology and rage at that point... however, i don't need it to get in anywhere so can't complain i suppose, just a shame it could have gone so much better :frown:
Reply 73
Original post by AeroLB
I put zero for A, as gradient is constant, and first for B. Don't take my word for it though!

****, I think you're right.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE NOW :mad:
Reply 74
Original post by why-hello-there
Q1 was alpha

Q's 2-40, God only knows! :tongue:

(Starting to doubt even question 1 now :redface:)

its that awful moment when you read over the paper and realise how stupid your answers are that i hate. I remember you from the medicine threads :smile:
Original post by AeroLB

That's what I put!

Did you put s^-1 as the rate constant unit?
Original post by ConnorMcKenzie
That's what I put!

l mol-1 s-1
Reply 77
Original post by jordan0141

3 and 2
Reply 78
Original post by ConnorMcKenzie
That's what I put!

I put that
Reply 79
Original post by Alice453
I put that

I think for that answer they will give you a mark if you follow through from your answer in part a even if it it wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending