The Student Room Group

The Edexcel C1 (16/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
LOL, so I see you averaged about 68/69 marks on the papers...

I'm anxious, I don't know whether it is sufficient if I have done all the past papers, averaging 73 marks on them.. I guess I should do a couple of Solomon papers just to be sure...
Reply 41
Original post by usycool1
I'm doing it first time on Wednesday :biggrin:

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:

Btw, there was this question which I struggled with:

Given that y=2xy=2^x find expressions in terms of y for:

(a) (i) y=2x+2y=2^{x+2}
(ii) y=23xy=2^{3-x}

It's from a solomon paper :smile:

Ahh I did that paper yesterday, you have to remember your indices rules with it.

When you have indices and you multiply you add the powers so you can see that the sqaured is being multiplied
I suck at explaining :l lemme try again

We know that if we have 2^3*(2^3) we get 2^6
cos we added 3 and 3
If we apply that here, you get (2^x)*2^2
When you sub y back in you get 4y

^ yup I explained that pretty badly :l

for the second one, when it's being minused it's division

If you still don't understand ask again and I'll see if I can make it more clear.

EDIT: I'm going to go take a shower so If you do need more help I'll explain it then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vxrz
LOL, so I see you averaged about 68/69 marks on the papers...

I'm anxious, I don't know whether it is sufficient if I have done all the past papers, averaging 73 marks on them.. I guess I should do a couple of Solomon papers just to be sure...

woah wait swear the paper is out of 75? :confused:
Reply 43
Original post by 0range
Ahh I did that paper yesterday, you have to remember your indices rules with it.

When you have indices and you multiply you add the powers so you can see that the sqaured is being multiplied
I suck at explaining :l lemme try again

We know that if we have 2^3*(2^3) we get 2^6
cos we added 3 and 3
If we apply that here, you get (2^x)*2^2
When you sub y back in you get 4y

^ yup I explained that pretty badly :l

for the second one, when it's being minused it's division

If you still don't understand ask again and I'll see if I can make it more clear.

EDIT: I'm going to go take a shower so If you do need more help I'll explain it then.

Ahh...I think I get it :smile: Thanks! I will pos rep you when I have some left :smile:

For the second question, this is what I did:

y=232xy=\dfrac{2^3}{2^x}

y=82xy=\dfrac{8}{2^x}

So it equals 8/y ?
Reply 44
Original post by shorttstuff
woah wait swear the paper is out of 75? :confused:

Yes. But people are meant to get quite high aren't they? I see so many people with B's retake... Because their teachers told them it wasnt good enough.

Also I guess that the exam result will obviously be lower than the scores you got on past papers.
Original post by vxrz
Yes. But people are meant to get quite high aren't they? I see so many people with B's retake... Because their teachers told them it wasnt good enough.

Also I guess that the exam result will obviously be lower than the scores you got on past papers.

Oh dw its just me being stupid and misreading your comment earlier :tongue:

well not at my school anyway - I got a C (2 marks off a B) and they said I didn't have to retake. (its only because at least a third of how many people took maths got a D and below)
Reply 46
I really hope some stupid questions like proving the 'sum of an arithmetic sequence' formula comes up. Or something like part b) of this;
Untitled.png
Reply 47
How much out of 75 is needed for:

(a) an A
(b) 100 UMS?

Reply 48
How much out of 75 is needed for:

(a) an A
(b) 100 UMS?

An A is usually hovering around 60/75.. sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more by two marks.

100 UMS, is either 74 or 75, but don't quote me on that, could always be 74.
Reply 49
Ahh...I think I get it :smile: Thanks! I will pos rep you when I have some left :smile:

For the second question, this is what I did:

y=232xy=\dfrac{2^3}{2^x}

y=82xy=\dfrac{8}{2^x}

So it equals 8/y ?

Yup that's right :smile:

Original post by vxrz

It's not that it's not good enough, it's cause if you score higher in the easier Maths papers (i.e C1, C2 , M1 and S1) you have more room to mess up on C3 and C4.
Like I got an A (Just about) last year and I'm retaking to get 100! although my teacher only wants me to get like 90
Reply 50
@0range

So 100 seems to be a realistic target according to teachers?

Or something that you are able to achieve..?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by vxrz
@0range

So 100 seems to be a realistic target according to teachers?

Or something that you are able to achieve..?

Well I mean I'm hopefully gonna be doing Maths @ Uni so 100 is defin a realistic target, and it's not just that it's cause apparently C3 & C4 are like twice as hard so the scores on that will be lower then the grades you get for C1. At the end it's not really about what you get in an individual unit, it's about what you have overall Imagine if someone had 410/ 600 overall, which is a C and they scored 70 in C1, If they had that @ 80 they would've gotten a B overall. So I think teachers are just trying to make sure the student gets the highest they can achieve.

Well I'm off to do some more solomans...
Reply 52
Original post by 0range
Well I mean I'm hopefully gonna be doing Maths @ Uni so 100 is defin a realistic target, and it's not just that it's cause apparently C3 & C4 are like twice as hard so the scores on that will be lower then the grades you get for C1. At the end it's not really about what you get in an individual unit, it's about what you have overall Imagine if someone had 410/ 600 overall, which is a C and they scored 70 in C1, If they had that @ 80 they would've gotten a B overall. So I think teachers are just trying to make sure the student gets the highest they can achieve.

Wouldn't boundaries be lower for those units?
Reply 53
Original post by vxrz
Wouldn't boundaries be lower for those units?

Usually only by 1 or maybe 2 marks.
So like for C4 an A would be normally 59/58
and
C3 would normally be like 60/61
Original post by QwertyG
I got an A in January by just doing Edexcel papers not solomon paper, but i got a really low A :frown:

Similar boat to you (82/100) except I'm in year 13 and I'm doing it so I have more to fall back on in C4 to get the A. Need 74/100 with my current score, so if I got 95+ I would need a D in C4 for an A overall in maths haha. (I can't get an A* due to 74/100 in C3 :P )

Not done tonnes of revision, just looked over harder questions to be honest. Some of it is a bit weird. I hope proving arithmetic series comes up haha.
Original post by 0range

I wanna do Maths at Uni too so i'll guess we'll be in the same boat next year :biggrin:
(well unless you're going for the oxbridge/durham/warrick unis)
Reply 56
C1's relatively easy, good luck for Wednesday everyone!
Reply 57
Original post by shorttstuff
I wanna do Maths at Uni too so i'll guess we'll be in the same boat next year :biggrin:
(well unless you're going for the oxbridge/durham/warrick unis)

LOL, wouldn't get in even if I tried :frown:

Going Leeds, hopefully if I get the grades :danceboy:,
Reply 58
I am in year 11 :tongue: ... Did my GCSE in year 10 so the school asked us to do C1 in year 11. Seems straightforward.

I must ask, are Solomon's a must for that high A?
Original post by vxrz
I am in year 11 :tongue: ... Did my GCSE in year 10 so the school asked us to do C1 in year 11. Seems straightforward.

I must ask, are Solomon's a must for that high A?

Not really, I don't think so. My maths scores so far are : C1 82/100 C2 78/100 S1 84/100 C3 74/100 and M1 88/100 and I never did them. I'm resitting this so I hopefully need less than 74 for my A. Maybe if you're going for an A* they could be needed, but I learn everything at home. I pay little attention in school (I prefer self study) so that is possibly a factor too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending