The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by otrivine
but like i got different numbers to arsey but got same answer cause i did the 10-x-(10x-xsquaredthing curve) and then integrated with 9 and 2

It should have been curve minus line since equation is above the line. I am guessing you got negative and used that as a positive answer? But if your answer is correct I guess your working must also be correct.

@Arsey, I did not include 90 degrees since I thought it wasn't an option. However I did include the 0 and 180 plus the 2 cos degrees (can't remember what they are now). Will I get full marks?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by EffKayy
For the first question isnt the third term working out wrong? It's meant to be 2^3 and not 2^4?

Yes it is, but the answer produced used 2^3.
Original post by Mtice
PTQ was a triangle though. That's why it was confusing, a triangle can be a sector too (I think?). I think they definitely could have worded it better (I don't care, did it right anyway).

I did it both ways, but got the right answer... would they count this or would they detract it?
Original post by shooby_doo
Thanks for the upload arsey
For the binomial expansion I got a bit confused and didnt believe that 3 lines of working would get me 4 marks ....
So i hesitated and divided the whole answer by 8 thinking it would be simplified :frown:
The right answer is still there though ... Will i still get deducted a mark?

Why would you divide by 8? Simple algebra/maths should tell you that if you divide one side by 8, you divide the other side by 8, so you really worked out 1/8 th of the actual answer
Reply 164
It asks for the exact area on the intergration question. I understand i should have put the 343/6 . But i put 57.1(6 recuring) Reckon that's still right?
Reply 165
Original post by Prash3200165
1. For the logs, you'll probably only get one or two marks, as with all respect, you have shown no actual mathematical ability / "proper" working out
2. As long as your working out was clear and correct you should probably only lose one or two marks

Thank you :smile: and yeah I know, I just couldn't figure out how to do it :/ looking at the mark scheme it seems obvious but I think I panicked slightly.
Reply 166
Arsey (or anyone else),

Got full marks on the paper except 3d. When asked for the perimeter of the sector PTQ I took that to be the triangle PTQ so got 5+5+8 and 18 as the final answer... How many should I expect to lose, being a 3 mark question and all?

Cheers for the help
Reply 167
Original post by meowcat
I calculated the perimeter of triangle instead of the sector! Haven't read the question properly... :frown: How many marks would I lost?

I did that and got 18 ffs
57.16recurring is accurate. I left it at 57 1/6
I got put all the right value for the sum of infinity but made an error by inputting wrong value in calculator so got the answer wrong. How many marks would I loose
Original post by EffKayy
For the first question isnt the third term working out wrong? It's meant to be 2^3 and not 2^4?

I saw that also
It happens. Just try and relax in your exams, you'll think a lot better and clearer
Reply 172
What do you think 62/75 will be worth in terms of a grade? Enough for a B?
Reply 173
Original post by Arsey
No your teacher is talking rubbish

hey....i just had a few questions....for the integration i used the wrong limits completely (they werent from the answer before). how many marks would i lose for that?...and for the perimeter of the sector i worked out triangle...how many would i lose for that?
Reply 174
Original post by Arsey
If replaced, not marked. If not replaced, and legible, marked.

Hi Arsey
On the integration question, I made a trapezium out of the x values instead of the y values so I had:

(9+2)x7
---------

so the area of my trapezium was wrong How many marks would I lose? My method was exactly the same as yours though!

Please answer I want to be able to sleep in peace tonight! :frown:
Reply 175
Original post by Mtice
PTQ was a triangle though. That's why it was confusing, a triangle can be a sector too (I think?). I think they definitely could have worded it better (I don't care, did it right anyway).

I think I have lost that 3 marks (max) from not reading the question. This is sooo annoying!

Well, my working is longer coz i'm stupid enough to work out PQ from cosine rule, and I get a decimal number. So I add that to 10 to get my perimeter. I had lots of time for checking but I still didn't realise my mistake! I mean, I knew the length of PQ is not a decimal from the previous part....:frown:

I guess it's meant to confuse you coz the graph makes you think that PTQ is a triangle but you are meant to work out sector.....:frown:
Reply 176
I didnt learn proof but i worked it out backwards using final sum of equation and the original sequence. You can work it out without knowing it it is pretty easy to do that
Reply 177
Original post by Phoebe307
What do you think 62/75 will be worth in terms of a grade? Enough for a B?

june boundaries tend to be lower so might even be an a
Reply 178
Original post by Matt17
On the integration question, instead of taking away the area of the trapezium, I did curve take away line and integrated that, then sub in values of x, how many marks will I get for this?

That method is fine.

I have found using areas of common shapes leads to more students getting right. Curve - method is generally a bloodbath.
Original post by The_Pen
It should have been curve minus line since equation is above the line. I am guessing you got negative and used that as a positive answer? But if your answer is correct I guess your working must also be correct.

@Arsey, I did not include 90 degrees since I thought it wasn't an option. However I did include the 0 and 180 plus the 2 cos degrees (can't remember what they are now). Will I get full marks?

yes exactly!! i got negative but then cause it always has to be positive.
the factor therom i did that substitute and got 0 is that fine ?

Latest

Trending

Trending