The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdaD
Going to do a few box squat sessions to iron out my form. First one with 80kg, doesn't look great. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uypnBKZlLs

The notion of implementing a box into training is so you sit back. From the video it is apparent you're not.

Firstly, when you sit back the shins stay vertical or - applicable to box squats and no other squat - should break but tilt towards your body, differing from the squat in that your shin tracks above your foot.

I would recommend building an adjustable box first setting it far above parallel. This will mold you into the feeling of sitting back.

Flawless

(edited 11 years ago)
how often do you guys take a week off/deload......been training heavy for around 6-7 weeks feeling slightly fatigued.... noticed recovery is taking a little longer then usual. shall i just keep going till i stop hitting prs?
Depends, why are you box squatting?

If it's as an assistance movement to build your posterior chain more than I'd sit back to an extent like all the Westside bros do it. If it's not though, I wouldn't.

Personally I think it's an okay exercise but not that great.

If you're looking to use it more as an alternate to squats (for variety or maybe an injury prevents you from doing it etc.) then what you're doing is more acceptable as you want to keep the form similar.

@Gallium: Wouldn't take a week off but a deload at like 60% is pretty beneficial. I'd do it when you feel like it. Not sure how you train so it's hard to say. Every 6-7 weeks is decent if you train very heavy/maximal weights. If not, maybe you don't. Maybe just deload for half a week. I'd try push it as much as you can though.
Reply 2903
Original post by Michael XYZ
Depends, why are you box squatting?

If it's as an assistance movement to build your posterior chain more than I'd sit back to an extent like all the Westside bros do it. If it's not though, I wouldn't.

Personally I think it's an okay exercise but not that great.

If you're looking to use it more as an alternate to squats (for variety or maybe an injury prevents you from doing it etc.) then what you're doing is more acceptable as you want to keep the form similar.

I'm giving it a go in an attempt to fix my free squat. I've read a bit and a lot of people suggest doing some box squatting in an attempt to improve the free squat. Looking at the video, it's evident that there's room for improvement. Annoying.

Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
The notion of implementing a box into training is so you sit back. From the video it is apparent you're not.

Firstly, when you sit back the shins stay vertical or - applicable to box squats and no other squat - should break but tilt towards your body, differing from the squat in that your shin tracks above your foot.

I would recommend building an adjustable box first setting it far above parallel. This will mold you into the feeling of sitting back.

Yeah, I can see that now. Very frustrating, perhaps it's inflexibility. I did make a conscious effort to sit back, but it's clear that I'm not, as the shin position shows.
^it is mainly flexibility, especially for high bars/olympic squat. If you have the flexibility its a very natural movement to do.
Too the point where when I coached chinese kids how to squat they all do it beautifully atg their first attempt in bare feet.
You will not fix your free squat by doing it like Dave Hoff though. Sitting back is done usually by geared lifters because it mimics geared squatting. If you want to fix your free squat then free squat. "Westside 4 Lyfe" aside I don't see the point in box squatting apart from more as assistance (for a raw lifter).

So as I said, if you need to fix your free squat then do more of them. Don't look for alternatives as that is usually a very silly way to go about it. Certainly don't sit back a ton; you would fall over if you got into a habit like that with a free squat.

Also, it may not be inflexibility but simply weak hamstrings. Everyone likes to say inflexibility but maybe you just have weak ****ing hamstrings? Which most people do.

Ditch the box and do lighter free squats. I don't think your form was bad on free squats though. It's natural. You're not very strong either (no offence) so you're not going to have picture perfect squats as I'm assuming you are also a bit newer. Just do what you were doing. The form wasn't terrible and that's enough. As you get stronger things will click more and it'll improve.
^But if you can't hit the position unweighted, with the bar surely thats not just a weakness? Unless you're too weak to bw box squat lmao.

Personally I'd learn to oly squat first then transfer to power - easier transition imo, its what I did and felt natural.
Yes I agree but he is using weight is he not?
Reply 2910

Also, it may not be inflexibility but simply weak hamstrings. Everyone likes to say inflexibility but maybe you just have weak ****ing hamstrings? Which most people do.

Ditch the box and do lighter free squats. I don't think your form was bad on free squats though. It's natural. You're not very strong either (no offence) so you're not going to have picture perfect squats as I'm assuming you are also a bit newer. Just do what you were doing. The form wasn't terrible and that's enough. As you get stronger things will click more and it'll improve.

Hamstrings are probably weaker in comparison as I used to neglect them badly. Do a lot more ham work now, RDL being my favourite at the moment so I'm correcting this issue.

Cool, thanks for the advice. No offence taken, my squat is easily my weakest lift; on the exrx strength standards, DL, BP and OHP are well into intermediate, whereas squat is still in novice, so I accept that it's fairly weak. During the football season I play 4 times a week so it's simply not possible to progress as I need to recover. Not too bothered about numbers on the squat, just want decent form and consistent progress, which will obviously be easier during the summer months hence why I'm trying to iron out the imperfections now.
You would be better off just doing free squats with less weight and working your way back up. With the numbers you are putting up you don't have weak hamstrings, you are just weak in general.

Insane.

However, I don't understand why the belt is INCREDIBLY high up.
Original post by alex_tait
You would be better off just doing free squats with less weight and working your way back up. With the numbers you are putting up you don't have weak hamstrings, you are just weak in general.

lmao. How would you class your strength level?
Reply 2914
Original post by redbuthotter
lmao. How would you class your strength level?

Heh. I ignored this comment.

Yes, I'm weak compared to someone, of the same height and weight, who squats 125kg, but strong compared to someone who squats 85kg. Meh to comments like that; no concern for increasing my ego, competing with people in the gym or competing in general. I squat to get stronger. Period.
Reply 2915
Alex is weak because he can only bench 105x4.

Insane.

However, I don't understand why the belt is INCREDIBLY high up.

Think that's been posted. Absolutely ridiculous, I really want to find something wrong with it. I don't like the idea that there are people out there who don't look particularly huge with superhuman strength. Puts me on edge.
He is huge though...
He is huge though...

He's a big gentleman. If he was dressed in normal clothes, I would never guess he could deadlift more than, say, Ronnie Coleman (Two different disciplines granted, but you get my point).
Original post by Mdawg
Alex is weak because he can only bench 105x4.

fuuuuu thats what I bench.

Latest