The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitbose
Are there any postgraduate specific halls ?

I think Ann Stephenson/Neil Sharp is mostly postgraduate/ final year'r's. But it would mean having to get a bus to uni every day...although its not a huge imposition
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by igohardondis
what if, like me, you managed to get 3 offers at ucl and have firmed one AAA offer at UCL and put another AAA offer for another course at UCL as your insurance,

so in essence my firm and insurance are both from UCL for different courses both requiring AAA.

My accomodation has been submitted and is now "pending".

You think if i get into UCL and get accomodation then want to change course to the other i will lose my accomodation?

No? It's irrelevant to what course you do, as long as your firm was UCL at the time of applying for accommodation.
Original post by jules94
Hi !
Ive applied for a twin room at UCL because it is the cheapest, but Im worried that I may not like my roomate, any tips on that ?

Also, ive applied for non-catered accomodation and stated that proximity to university was most important to me. Any idea about which student house I might end up in.

Do you have to pay electricity bills during uni or is it just the room costs that you have to pay ?

Thanks in advance!

They might put us together! :biggrin: Hehe, jk.
I applied for twin, non-catered, and we have the same most important factor.
I reeeaalllyyy want to be put in John Tovell or Arthur Tattersall, cos they're literally only 2 mins away!
In response to your question, I'm pretty sure the bills are included in the rent.
Original post by sweetascandy

I reeeaalllyyy want to be put in John Tovell or Arthur Tattersall, cos they're literally only 2 mins away!

If you want JT or AT I hope you just love the sound of Ambulance sirens - at all times of day and night - as University College Hospital is on the same road.
Original post by Heinz the German
If you want JT or AT I hope you just love the sound of Ambulance sirens - at all times of day and night - as University College Hospital is on the same road.

Are you in any of those halls? I guess that would be annoying but it's only a 2 minute walk...does no one else see this as a huugge plus point?!
Reply 6765
Are you in any of those halls? I guess that would be annoying but it's only a 2 minute walk...does no one else see this as a huugge plus point?!

I stayed in them and it's not that bad. You get an inner and outer window, and most rooms have shutters too, and then the curtains are thick, so that blocks out a lot.

And then you could be on the back, and not hear a lot. You get used to it either way.
Original post by PJ991
I stayed in them and it's not that bad. You get an inner and outer window, and most rooms have shutters too, and then the curtains are thick, so that blocks out a lot.

And then you could be on the back, and not hear a lot. You get used to it either way.

Ooh, which one did you stay in? What was the whole people-to-bathroom / people-to-kitchen ratio? On the website, it has different figures for each floor. Did you ever have to queue up to take a shower? Also, as generic as this sounds, someone mentioned that these halls are really boring and people are unsociable - is that true?
Also, did you stay in a single or twin room? I've applied for twin.

Apologies for the interrogation btw :p:
Reply 6767
Ooh, which one did you stay in? What was the whole people-to-bathroom / people-to-kitchen ratio? On the website, it has different figures for each floor. Did you ever have to queue up to take a shower? Also, as generic as this sounds, someone mentioned that these halls are really boring and people are unsociable - is that true?
Also, did you stay in a single or twin room? I've applied for twin.

Apologies for the interrogation btw :p:

I was in JT. There's 2 parts to JT, number 89, and numbers 93-97. I was in 93-97, but went to 89 every now and then. The front door key works in the door for 89, 93,95 and 97. 93-97 are all connected so you can walk right through inside.

There are 2 basement kitchens, and a laundry room in the basement. 2 first floor kitchens and 2 second floor kitchens. They all have plenty space in terms of cupboards, with the basment kitchens being the biggest. 89 has its own kitchens in a similar layout, but they use the laundry room in 93-97. 2 washers and 2 dryers. Sunday seemed to be the busiest time to use them.

There's a shower and toilet in the basement of 93, the ground floor of all of them, as well as between each floor on each staircase (if that makes sense, like half way up the stairs) and on the top floor too. I never had to wait for one. Everyone tends to have different timetables and habits meaning there was never a rush at any given time. It probably worked out at something like 4 people to a shower but in some cases, like the basement, it's basically just 2 people to a shower.

I was in a twin room. Being social completely depends. They aren't big halls so we made quite a close friendship group and we went out a lot together. This year it seems there are a lot more international students in there than there was in my year. In my experience the international students went out/hung around in the kitchens a bit less.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PJ991
I was in JT. There's 2 parts to JT, number 89, and numbers 93-97. I was in 93-97, but went to 89 every now and then. The front door key works in the door for 89, 93,95 and 97. 93-97 are all connected so you can walk right through inside.

There are 2 basement kitchens, and a laundry room in the basement. 2 first floor kitchens and 2 second floor kitchens. They all have plenty space in terms of cupboards, with the basment kitchens being the biggest. 89 has its own kitchens in a similar layout, but they use the laundry room in 93-97. 2 washers and 2 dryers. Sunday seemed to be the busiest time to use them.

There's a shower and toilet in the basement of 93, the ground floor of all of them, as well as between each floor on each staircase (if that makes sense, like half way up the stairs) and on the top floor too. I never had to wait for one. Everyone tends to have different timetables and habits meaning there was never a rush at any given time. It probably worked out at something like 4 people to a shower but in some cases, like the basement, it's basically just 2 people to a shower.

I was in a twin room. Being social completely depends. They aren't big halls so we made quite a close friendship group and we went out a lot together. This year it seems there are a lot more international students in there than there was in my year. In my experience the international students went out/hung around in the kitchens a bit less.

Ooh okay, thanks for all the info. So do you have to pay for the laundry service?

Also, just to confirm, twin rooms are single sex, right?! :p: I'm not one to go clubbing but I do go for any other social events...does that mean I'll be by myself when everyone else has gone out? :p:

Did you become friends with your twin straight away? Do you know of any twins who didn't get along, and if yes, what happened?

I am SOO excited for uni xD

EDIT: Also, were your twin and other flat mates doing the same course as you, or is it random?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6769
Ooh okay, thanks for all the info. So do you have to pay for the laundry service?

Also, just to confirm, twin rooms are single sex, right?! :p: I'm not one to go clubbing but I do go for any other social events...does that mean I'll be by myself when everyone else has gone out? :p:

Did you become friends with your twin straight away? Do you know of any twins who didn't get along, and if yes, what happened?

I am SOO excited for uni xD

EDIT: Also, were your twin and other flat mates doing the same course as you, or is it random?

I think it was £2 for a wash and £1 for the tumble dryer.

Yeah, single sex.

I'm sure there will always be some people staying back, for whatever reason, but it depends who you're living with that year. We had our fair share of out every night type, as well as those who might like to go to the pub for a bit, and then be back in halls for the night.

My roommate was the first person I spoke to, as will be the case for most people, but we were never close. We're not in contact now or anything like that. Some people got on better with their roommate than others, but I wouldn't say anyone was best friends with their roommate, probably because you get sick of being so close to them so often. It was never a big problem for anyone, you just get on with it. Sharing isn't as bad as it's made out to be.
Original post by PJ991

Yeah, single sex.

I'm sure there will always be some people staying back, for whatever reason, but it depends who you're living with that year. We had our fair share of out every night type, as well as those who might like to go to the pub for a bit, and then be back in halls for the night.

My roommate was the first person I spoke to, as will be the case for most people, but we were never close. We're not in contact now or anything like that. Some people got on better with their roommate than others, but I wouldn't say anyone was best friends with their roommate, probably because you get sick of being so close to them so often. It was never a big problem for anyone, you just get on with it. Sharing isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Sweet :smile: Last question, were your twin and other flat mates doing the same course as you, or is it random?
Thanks for all the help; i tried to +rep you but i've ran out :l
Reply 6771
They might put us together! :biggrin: Hehe, jk.
I applied for twin, non-catered, and we have the same most important factor.
In response to your question, I'm pretty sure the bills are included in the rent.

LOL, At least I'd have encountered you on MST then. Its better than being put in a room with a total stranger :P
I really have no Idea about what I want. Its much too confusing, SO many halls !
Reply 6772
Sweet :smile: Last question, were your twin and other flat mates doing the same course as you, or is it random?
Thanks for all the help; i tried to +rep you but i've ran out :l

it's based on your form i believe, when you have you write about your interests. that, or it's at random.
Original post by PJ991
In my experience the international students went out/hung around in the kitchens a bit less.

Depends on which international students you're on about. In the main, i've found that they hang out/ go out just as much as UK students. Chinese students, however, are a different case entirely. In CHW they seem to try to avoid contact with any non-Chinese students. Hell, we've got one in our residence that i'm pretty sure is almost a fictional character - I think i've seen her twice all year. That said, you do tend to see them in groups in the basement kitchens at about 1AM comparing their most recent Apple product purchases.
Reply 6774
Original post by PJ991

Hey,
How much did you spend per week ? They recommend 1000 pounds per month, will I actually need that much ?
Depends on which international students you're on about. In the main, i've found that they hang out/ go out just as much as UK students. Chinese students, however, are a different case entirely. In CHW they seem to try to avoid contact with any non-Chinese students. Hell, we've got one in our residence that i'm pretty sure is almost a fictional character - I think i've seen her twice all year. That said, you do tend to see them in groups in the basement kitchens at about 1AM comparing their most recent Apple product purchases.

LOOL
Reply 6776

well like i said. in my experience. some were really outgoing and stuff, but a lot, like i said, were seen a lot less often.
Reply 6777
Original post by jules94
Hey,
How much did you spend per week ? They recommend 1000 pounds per month, will I actually need that much ?

i can't remember. i never did a budget or anything. i spent all my loans and stuff though and had to borrow money from my parents to cover my deposit for second your accommodation.

£12,000 a year seems about right considering some UCL halls are £150p/w+. (obvs. that's not a 12 month let, but for your following years, your rent is likely to be 52 weeks rather than term time only.)
Reply 6778
Original post by Noodlzzz
Don't bother with the email, it's unlikely you'll get a reply. If you do you'll be lucky if it's in 2012 :P

Call them up tomorrow and be persistant but polite and see if you can't work something out.

Got a reply. Wasn't helpful.
"You can apply but you have no guarantee of accommodation"
I submitted my application three days past the deadline. Do you think the university will accommodate me or should I apply elsewhere too?
Reply 6779
Original post by PJ991
i can't remember. i never did a budget or anything. i spent all my loans and stuff though and had to borrow money from my parents to cover my deposit for second your accommodation.

£12,000 a year seems about right considering some UCL halls are £150p/w+. (obvs. that's not a 12 month let, but for your following years, your rent is likely to be 52 weeks rather than term time only.)

Do you have to pay an extra fee for the university of London exams ? Or is that included in the tuition fee.

Latest

Trending

Trending