The Student Room Group

Question on personal statement

Hi :smile:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have question on writing my PS.
(I am applying for chemistry with modules of French)

I don't know whether or not it's wise to talk about me reading science magazines, articles and books. It's genuinely not a lie, I do keep up to date and I am currently reading a book on chemistry but I was worried incase the university tutor reads it and just assumes I'm lieing. Do you think I should or not?

It's not too bad in the case of unis that interview because they can pick up on it, but I am applying to a few which only base their decision on your PS and grades..

Thank you!
Original post by mynamesamy
Hi :smile:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have question on writing my PS.
(I am applying for chemistry with modules of French)

I don't know whether or not it's wise to talk about me reading science magazines, articles and books. It's genuinely not a lie, I do keep up to date and I am currently reading a book on chemistry but I was worried incase the university tutor reads it and just assumes I'm lieing. Do you think I should or not?

It's not too bad in the case of unis that interview because they can pick up on it, but I am applying to a few which only base their decision on your PS and grades..

Thank you!

Why would they read it and just assume you're lying? :confused:
It's common for people to do some reading around their subject before they start a course in it, I see no reason why they would think you are lying. It's recommended that people mention reading and general research they have done in their free time to demonstrate commitment.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
Why would they read it and just assume you're lying? :confused:

I don't know.. I wrote it in my first draft and my teacher picked up on it and pointed out that they may assume I'm exaggerating/lieing as most people do so I was left unsure whether to put it in or not :/
Reply 4
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
It's common for people to do some reading around their subject before they start a course in it, I see no reason why they would think you are lying. It's recommended that people mention reading and general research they have done in their free time to demonstrate commitment.

Okay.. thank you :biggrin:
Original post by mynamesamy
I don't know.. I wrote it in my first draft and my teacher picked up on it and pointed out that they may assume I'm exaggerating/lieing as most people do so I was left unsure whether to put it in or not :/

How does your teacher expect you to demonstrate enthusiasm for your course without being able to discuss reading and other things you have done? :rolleyes: (<-- towards your teacher.)

Put it back in.
Reply 6
If its the truth then write about it. Obviously don't be as blunt and 'I like to read science magazines' say something like you furthered your interest in chemistry through wider reading.
Reply 7
Of course you should, it shows that you're actually interested in the subject. Silly goose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending