The Student Room Group

What are British Indian/Asian guys like in relationships? R they conservative/liber

I'm a girl of Indian background from another western country and I'm planning to travel to the Uk for work/study purposes. We have some family friends in the Uk and I've recently started chatting to one of their sons, who is from London, in a friendly manner I.e just as friends. At the same I don't know him that well to ask such questions also considering since I'm inexperienced and have not had any sexual relationships myself. It got me thinking about what British Asian/Indian guys view on relationships are. Are they conservative/liberal, do they believe in premarital sex etc? are they open towards oral sex and other practices? What are their preferences partner wise? How traditional/cultural are they ? I'm a mix of both conservative and liberal when it comes to relationships..like I don't think number of relationships etc should matter but personally I believe in having a sexual relationship only when I'm in a committed relationship with someone.

I don't think people should be limited to race when it comes to dating and I don't want to generalize but just want a general idea of what they think. So if u know any British Asians, have been in a relationship with one or are one yourself, what are your views?
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

The answer is that it'll depend hugely on the individual concerned and their upbringing.

I would say that on average British Asian guys will be more likely to be more conservative in their relationships however that's not the case for all of them.

If you're coming to study then the Asian guys you'll meet will be other students and more likely to be liberal in their attitudes, due to youth and high standards of education.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, take things as they come and deal with people individually.
I'm half Indian so I'm not sure if my opinion is too valid. However, I am a Social Liberal but there are members of my Asian family both young and old whom are conservatives.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Are they conservative/liberal, do they believe in premarital sex etc? yes most do here

are they open towards oral sex and other practices?
yes oral anal you name it, alot asians do this more then actaul sex

What are their preferences partner wise?
in what way?

How traditional/cultural are they ? I'm a mix of both conservative and liberal when it comes to relationships..

just like you asians now days in uk are a mix too

like I don't think number of relationships etc should matter but personally I believe in having a sexual relationship only when I'm in a committed relationship with someone.

i kinda support this idea
Reply 4
They are more open than you think, obviously there are some conservative. BUT, if they are British but Indian descents they are very liberal and are willing to take part in sexual activities, pre-marital sex etc...
Reply 5
Original post by Historophilia
The answer is that it'll depend hugely on the individual concerned and their upbringing.

I would say that on average British Asian guys will be more likely to be more conservative in their relationships however that's not the case for all of them.

If you're coming to study then the Asian guys you'll meet will be other students and more likely to be liberal in their attitudes, due to youth and high standards of education.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, take things as they come and deal with people individually.

By conservative do you mean they'd be less open to dating people who've had more relationships or conservative about the sexual aspect of a relationship? I plan to study and work so maybe I'll meet a mixture of liberal a d conservative. The guy I'm friends with is a student and he seems to be a mix of both
Reply 6
Original post by PierceBrosnan
I'm half Indian so I'm not sure if my opinion is too valid. However, I am a Social Liberal but there are members of my Asian family both young and old whom are conservatives.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Thanks for the response. All comments are valid. what is your other half? And when u say conservative do you mean in relationships or conservative about the sexual aspect of relationships? As a liberal guy what do you think about girls having had sex before or been with partners before? On tsr I've also heard that Asian guys, some not all, like to receive not give abd can be selfish when it comes to relationships. Some girls here say they don't want to date Asian idk why I really like Asian guys but I think of these questions
Reply 7
Thanks for all those answers and for being so detailed. I really appreciate it umar.
So would there be many who were virgins before marriage or believed in that?
With preferences I mean preferences for someone who is virginal /not many partners or do they prefer someone experienced? Also do many have racial preferences of non Asians etc
With things like oral sex abd all that I thought many would not be open to it especially guys? Isn't anal something against the religion.

Reply 8
Original post by Tackla
They are more open than you think, obviously there are some conservative. BUT, if they are British but Indian descents they are very liberal and are willing to take part in sexual activities, pre-marital sex etc...

That's true. I have heard that Asian guys are less open minded when it comes to sexual activities such as oral sex or in accelting girls who have had pre marital relationships before not sure how true it us of British Asian guys tho
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the response. All comments are valid. what is your other half? And when u say conservative do you mean in relationships or conservative about the sexual aspect of relationships? As a liberal guy what do you think about girls having had sex before or been with partners before? On tsr I've also heard that Asian guys, some not all, like to receive not give abd can be selfish when it comes to relationships. Some girls here say they don't want to date Asian idk why I really like Asian guys but I think of these questions

My other half is Irish thanks for asking :smile:. Generally in my families experience I don't actually know about whether or not their conservative about the sexual aspects of relationships, however I will assume that there is the "no sex before marriage" thing is prevalent. In general relationships however, I would say they're fairly Liberal due to the fact that I am not the only Mixed race part of the Asian family, although I don't know their stances on LGBT's, Asexuals or Pansexuals. If a girl has had sex before, I honestly couldn't care less, if they've had a partner before I couldn't care less. TSR is not the bane of full opinion, I prefer to give (I hope this question wasn't sexual). I wouldn't mine dating anybody (women) as long as they're nice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for all those answers and for being so detailed. I really appreciate it umar.
So would there be many who were virgins before marriage or believed in that?
With preferences I mean preferences for someone who is virginal /not many partners or do they prefer someone experienced? Also do many have racial preferences of non Asians etc
With things like oral sex abd all that I thought many would not be open to it especially guys? Isn't anal something against the religion.

sorry did not read this as you never quoted me so i dint know you replied....

no one knows now days who are virgins, many guys say yh to the girl they will maryy her and once they had sex they leave...alot of asians do that on the low though...so im not speaking for all the asians....obviously every guy in the world wants a vrigin wife...asian guys seem to think they can bang all the girls they want but they want a virigin wife...on the other hand obv an asian girl wants a virgin husband...but no one knows what goes on...i could probably be marrying a virgin girl but who knows shes banged half the couintry?

tbh alot of asian guys like white girls etc....becasue white girls give it more then asian girls...but now days you see lots of asian girls giving it too...me persnally i have only dated one asian girl and the rest have been white! now days in uk asians are dating whites...whites dating blacks....blacks dating asians...just kinda mixed

yh personally and through mates we prefer oral cuz it doesnt seem as extreme as sex...same thing you bust in her mouth and thats it then prob after marriage they have...anal isnt something alot do...but it depends on the girl..if she doesnt wanna pop her cherry but still wants sex then i guess asains will do anal... but yh anal is against relgion.......

but indains are more open in sex so if you like idnains then usually they will have sex etc...pakistanis are more lets say less open minded...so if you want an asian guy get an indian...but from preference me and my mates have done oral with girls and some of my mates even had sex sooo yh
(edited 11 years ago)
My boyfriend is asian (pakistani) and I'm white british. He's more conservative when we're around his family, but most of the time he's no different to any other lad I know. We've not spoken about sex before, but he has asked me about my past relationships and sounded much happier to know I was a virgin.
My boyfriend is asian (pakistani) and I'm white british. He's more conservative when we're around his family, but most of the time he's no different to any other lad I know. We've not spoken about sex before, but he has asked me about my past relationships and sounded much happier to know I was a virgin.

yh theres a typical asian man for ya
Reply 13
Liberal as.
Reply 14
Original post by ravvv
Liberal as.

Wish there were more liberal Indian guys like you :smile: would you be open to dating an Indian girl opposite to u in that she's religious , virgin and conservative if both of u liked each other and she respected your beliefs?

Off topic but I've been reading your comments and you sound like a pretty open minded, chilled out guy. you mentioned before that tho ur Indian female friends are cool, a lot are not open do dating Indian guys? I don't get that I think most Indian guys who are open minded, liberal and see females equally should not have any prob dating girls still you get threads about indian guys preferring to date other races and vice versa. Not from the Uk but I don't get that.I think british Indian guys are universally attractive to Indian girls worldwide so I don't know why they wouldn't be to some in the Uk. Same with Indian British girls.
Reply 15
Original post by PierceBrosnan
My other half is Irish thanks for asking :smile:. Generally in my families experience I don't actually know about whether or not their conservative about the sexual aspects of relationships, however I will assume that there is the "no sex before marriage" thing is prevalent. In general relationships however, I would say they're fairly Liberal due to the fact that I am not the only Mixed race part of the Asian family, although I don't know their stances on LGBT's, Asexuals or Pansexuals. If a girl has had sex before, I honestly couldn't care less, if they've had a partner before I couldn't care less. TSR is not the bane of full opinion, I prefer to give (I hope this question wasn't sexual). I wouldn't mine dating anybody (women) as long as they're nice.

that's a cool combination im guessing the Irish side is way less conservative then the Indian side. Its really refreshing to hear views like yours
from Indian guys. I meant the giving in a non sexual and sexual senses in that I've heard from an Indian friend of mine that she married this guy she dated. They didn't have sex before marriage but she found out he only likes to receivenot give.. but she likes to give and it doesn't botherher too much but it made me think of sexual compatibility and how it's important to know before marriage.
Reply 16

that's good to know that he's open minded. It's good that he's introduced you to his family it shows that he's serious. it shouldn't matter if you're a virgin or not. Has he talked to you about a future sexual aspect to your relationship...if it's too personal no need to answer.
Reply 17
Unless their your stereotypical Asian, you'll find the majority of them are just like any other guy. Race doesn't really come into it for the most part. I myself am an Indian/Asian, but the most Indian/Asian thing about me is that I eat Asian food and go to temple on a weekly basis. Other than that I'm exactly the same as every other guy around me in terms of general behaviour.

In terms of relationships you can't just say a person is going to behave in one particular way because of their race. I don't think it's fair to classify them all into a group. Everyone is an individual and whilst some seem to be 'bad apples' their are plenty of good ones out there too.
Reply 18
Original post by Rish7
Unless their your stereotypical Asian, you'll find the majority of them are just like any other guy. Race doesn't really come into it for the most part. I myself am an Indian/Asian, but the most Indian/Asian thing about me is that I eat Asian food and go to temple on a weekly basis. Other than that I'm exactly the same as every other guy around me in terms of general behaviour.

In terms of relationships you can't just say a person is going to behave in one particular way because of their race. I don't think it's fair to classify them all into a group. Everyone is an individual and whilst some seem to be 'bad apples' their are plenty of good ones out there too.

I know it's not good to generalize but indent know many British Indians. There's just the one guy I know who I think things can forward with so I wanted to know what British Indian guys think just in case things happen. I'm attracted to a mix of conservative and liberal things so a guy who is traditional in that he likes Indian food and goes to the mandir would appeal but also being liberal in thought and not being too traditional. I do think it's sad that some Indian guys(maybe girls) would put pressure on their gf to Lise their virginity if they're not ready. I firmly believe in sex only after marriage or sg least committment
but most guys don't seem to
Reply 19
Thx for the apply Rish. I know it's not good to generalize but I don't know many British Indians. There's just the one guy I know who I think things can forward with so I wanted to know what British Indian guys think just in case things happen. I'm attracted to a mix of conservative and liberal things so a guy who is traditional in that he likes Indian food and goes to the mandir would appeal but also being liberal in thought and not being too traditional. I do think it's sad that some Indian guys(maybe girls) would put pressure on their gf to Lise their virginity if they're not ready. I firmly believe in sex only after marriage or at least committment
but most guys don't seem to. Sometimes the double standards are a bit unfair but I do think Asian guys, well some but quite a few Indian guys, do try to wait because they know of thr cultural pressures. Sometimes I think it's unfair to make Asian guys wait when people of other races don't need to..so maybe they are better off dating more willing girls from other races. I do think Asian guys are underestimated and lot of their positive qualities aren't mentioned like them being very family oriented and loyal etc
Idk it's hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending