The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arran18
Had my first shift today and already managed to burn myself on the hot food counter :frown:

Ouch! Hope you're not too badly burnt! Have been working at Asda for about 2 wks now and have to say I'm quite enjoying it. :smile: How are you finding it??
Reply 1881
Alright guys. I applied to ASDA along with a load of other jobs and now I can't remember what I applied for and whether it was temp or permanent :colondollar:

Just checked my e-mail and I have to go to a ASDA magic thing. If the job was permanent do you think I should tell them I can't go because I'll be leaving for uni in September? And anyone know how to check? I logged back onto the website and it hasn't been very helpful.

If it is permanent and I get the job what are the chances that they'd allow me to transfer to the ASDA near my uni in September?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Alright guys. I applied to ASDA along with a load of other jobs and now I can't remember what I applied for and whether it was temp or permanent :colondollar:

Just checked my e-mail and I have to go to a ASDA magic thing. If the job was permanent do you think I should tell them I can't go because I'll be leaving for uni in September? And anyone know how to check? I logged back onto the website and it hasn't been very helpful.

I've just started and I'm going to Uni in September. If they like you, they'll offer you a job and then you can either transfer to an ASDA near to your Uni (if they have a vacancy) or you can be seasonal at your home store only working when you're home in holidays. ie Xmas, Easter, Summer.

Personally I'd go and explain your situation to someone in personnel (they run the ASDA magic thing) - they were really understanding and fine about it when I said. They're probably really used to it. Also if nothing else it would give you group interview experience. :smile:
Reply 1883
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
I've just started and I'm going to Uni in September. If they like you, they'll offer you a job and then you can either transfer to an ASDA near to your Uni (if they have a vacancy) or you can be seasonal at your home store only working when you're home in holidays. ie Xmas, Easter, Summer.

Personally I'd go and explain your situation to someone in personnel (they run the ASDA magic thing) - they were really understanding and fine about it when I said. They're probably really used to it. Also if nothing else it would give you group interview experience. :smile:

Cheers. I just need to find out whether the job I applied for was permanent or temporary , I'd feel pretty stupid telling them if it was temporary in the first place. I also need to find out what job I applied for. I think it was shop floor assistant, is that a job role in ASDA?

Also what should I expect at the ASDA magic thing? What kind of questions etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Deshi
Cheers. I just need to find out whether the job I applied for was permanent or temporary , I'd feel pretty stupid telling them if it was temporary in the first place. I also need to find out what job I applied for. I think it was shop floor assistant, is that a job role in ASDA?

Also what should I expect at the ASDA magic thing? What kind of questions etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ASDA magic is a group selection event. Its basically a bit of form filling (remember your ID), a bit of a 'have a go' on shop floor ie I did bag packing as I applied for checkouts, and some group things. We did 'how could this store integrate the Olympics more into community life' etc, coming up with ideas. Basically, be friendly, don't be too loud or too quiet and try to be involved in the activities. Oh, dress smart, be punctual and be polite.
Reply 1885
ASDA magic is a group selection event. Its basically a bit of form filling (remember your ID), a bit of a 'have a go' on shop floor ie I did bag packing as I applied for checkouts, and some group things. We did 'how could this store integrate the Olympics more into community life' etc, coming up with ideas. Basically, be friendly, don't be too loud or too quiet and try to be involved in the activities. Oh, dress smart, be punctual and be polite.

Legend. Cheers.

I was thinking grey chino's (they look pretty smart), white shirt (with a tie?), and smart shoes.
Original post by Deshi
Legend. Cheers.

I was thinking grey chino's (they look pretty smart), white shirt (with a tie?), and smart shoes.

TBH I would go suited, by what does your letter say? I know some say smart casual so in this case I would have thought chinos and a shirt/tie would be fine :smile: When is it??
Reply 1887
TBH I would go suited, by what does your letter say? I know some say smart casual so in this case I would have thought chinos and a shirt/tie would be fine :smile: When is it??

"As the selection event is practical, please dress appropriately for the event, something smart but casual would be perfect (no trainers please). You want to make the right impression but obviously you’ll be getting involved on the shop floor so nothing too formal."

From the e-mail.

It's on Tuesday. I only applied for the job on Friday so it's a bit soon but oh well.
Anyone working at ASDA sick of the term "OSCA" yet?
Original post by MelissaJayne
Anyone working at ASDA sick of the term "OSCA" yet?

Huh?? Explain por favour?!

Also have you seen that people working in fresh are getting new uniforms... personally I think they're vile...
Huh?? Explain por favour?!

Also have you seen that people working in fresh are getting new uniforms... personally I think they're vile...

I guess it depends on the dept you are on but it's the way ASDA head office measure the success of a store. All are driven to have higher OSCA which is (on shelf customer availability) so basically, no out of stocks and they measure it by sales forecasts etc. I get it in the neck to do with it most as I'm on process which is all about availability and gaps in the store..but they aim for like 95/96% and the other day a whole chilled/frozen delivery arrived defrosted so we had to return it meaning obviously a lot of gaps and our OSCA went down to like 93% and now we're a store in crisis aha.

I thought I was taking on a part time job in my gap year, but they take everything SERIOUSLY in there..
Original post by katie55
i got rejected almost immediately :frown:
do you think it could be because i applied on the deadline date at maybe 8pm?

or could it also be because i work at Tesco :s

there are two other positions available but they are both permanent and i dont really know how to go about applying for them.... do i not mention uni or do i tell them im taking a gap year to work and then tell them im leaving :L

any help would be appreciated thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

by the sound of it its your application , you cant apply again for another 6 months I think. I have no first hand knowledge of the the online application as I applied on a good old paper form, and working for tesco is not a disadvantage , but you cant work at both. and mention uni, be honest they need seasonals as the hours / overtime are few and far between come September, aslo you can apply to become seasonal when you go to uni hope this helps :smile:
I have my induction next week, but the person on the phone did not say what my contract hours or days were? Do they not sort that out till you have an induction?
Reply 1893
x

What kind of questions do they ask at the interviews at the magic thing? Doing some preparation for tomorrow morning and was wondering if there were any questions I need to be writing out. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1894
Just came back from the magic session and it's got to be one of he most pointless things I have ever done. Everyone there was applying for the same store yet they held it in a place which was 30 or so miles away. Had to be up at half 6 to commute there by train and bus, I'm around £20 out of pocket as a result as well. Got there, made us wait for 30 mins due to some people not turning up, the activity was fairly fun but apart from that it just felt like such a waste of my time, especially if I don't get the job. They don't even interview you and said they'd ask everyone for an interview in a week or two. It's less effort trying to apply for an internship ffs :colonhash:
Hey, I had asda magic & interview in one last week, and got offered a nights position the day after by phone. However, the induction they wanted me to attend is this Saturday, and i'm going away on hols on Friday. In my interview it was all made clear & noted about my holiday, but when I rang the HR guy asking for a different date yesterday he seemed a bit disgruntled about it, as if he didn't know. He just said to be patient and ring back after holiday. Thing is i'm gone for 2 weeks and don't entirely trust they'll keep the position open for me. (I've had nothing in writing and no emails, just a phone call to base the job offer on)

Does anyone know how frequent the inductions are?
Anyone know how long the induction lasts for? And do you get normal shifts the same week? As I have a college interview next week also. But said in my interview I could do any times. Only just decided about going back to college part time.
I just started working at asda, home shopping so I work 5am - 12pm. I was just wondering if anyone knew if I would have to swipe for my 20 minute paid breakfast break or not?
Original post by Wallflower..
I just started working at asda, home shopping so I work 5am - 12pm. I was just wondering if anyone knew if I would have to swipe for my 20 minute paid breakfast break or not?

Nope. You only swipe in/out for 30 minute unpaid lunch/dinner breaks.
Or like me..you Swipe in and often in your haste to leave, don't swipe out at all..

I think I've technically been at work and am still there without any break since 6am, Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending