The Student Room Group

Circumcision ban is the 'worst attack on Jews since Holocaust'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Presumably people who support infant circumcision for religious reasons do believe there is a limit somewhere as to what parents should be allowed to do to their child's body.

There are tribes in Africa that practice female genital mutilation for religious reasons. I'm sure most people, including people who support infant male circumcision, are strongly against this practice. So even they must agree that "religious freedom" isn't an excuse to do whatever you like to your child. I realise FGM and male circumcision are actually vastly different things, so it's not necessarily hypocritical to support one and not the other, but my point is that even "religious freedom" should have it's limits in some circumstances.
Reply 101
Original post by jo1692
Are you seriously trying to equate the value of going to school i.e. becoming literate, numerate, educated, without which one has virtually no future prospects, with circumcision? I don't have a personal position on circumcision because I don't know enough about it, although I did read an article a while ago about some middle aged men very, very angry that they'd been circumcised. But that is one false analogy!

the similiraty is that if kids have a choice they will reject both school and circumsition
so yes i am comparing the 2
Reply 102
Original post by A.J10
Lemme just take your last point, as someone else has taken care of the first and I've seen the argument before. If they're asleep and don't remember it, where's the harm?

Well, first of all I'm pretty sure they're not asleep most of the time, and if they are anaesthetic is a very tricky thing, you ever seen the shows on tv where they have to operate on a tiger before it wakes up and eats them?

Also, if I introduce your face to a chloroform rag, then carve out your appendix, is it alright because it didn't hurt, you don't remember it and it stopped you maybe getting ill in the future?

And that's without going into the trauma it must inflict on the poor thing.

wow u need to do reasearch on it
my lil cousin recently done it and the dr first places cream on it
and then cuts the loose piece of skin

and the appendix argument is a joke that is useless
so go do ure hwk on circumsition
IT DOSENT HURT
Reply 103
Original post by wwelol
wow u need to do reasearch on it
my lil cousin recently done it and the dr first places cream on it
and then cuts the loose piece of skin

and the appendix argument is a joke that is useless
so go do ure hwk on circumsition
IT DOSENT HURT

Maybe not immediately, but what about after the cream has worn off? What about the irritation from having urine in direct contact with healing tissues?
Why is my appendix argument useless and a joke?

I've done my homework on circumcision. Please could you do yours on spelling and internet etiquette, I hate to bring it up but your post is a pain to read.
Original post by Arva
A vaccination is good for a child's health. A circumcision is a lifelong aesthetic commitment, that has no health benefits apart from slightly easier hygiene down there. How can you equate the two? :rolleyes:

Some parents have their child's ear pierced....how is that good for the child?
Reply 105
Original post by Arva
But the child has no say in it and, phrase it delicately or not, it boils down to an irreversible genital mutilation.

How many circumcised men actually feel 'mutilated' and if they could be uncircumcised they would do so, can you tell us as a percentage please.

You see no such research exists, and until you can provide some substantiaql evidence that curcumcised men feel mutilated, your argument has no foundation.

This is simply an attack on Muslim and Jews. The same as how people attack Kosher and Halal meat yet do not complain much about battery farms.
Reply 106
Original post by Ben_Dover

It isn't, and I think that is wrong as well.
Reply 107
Original post by jogijogan
How many circumcised men actually feel 'mutilated' and if they could be uncircumcised they would do so, can you tell us as a percentage please.

You see no such research exists, and until you can provide some substantiaql evidence that curcumcised men feel mutilated, your argument has no foundation.

This is simply an attack on Muslim and Jews. The same as how people attack Kosher and Halal meat yet do not complain much about battery farms.

As long as there is a single man who didn't want to be circumcised then it is wrong. Even if there are none by chance it is wrong to make the permanent change on a parents choice alone.
No research needs to exist - it's a breach of free will and, like I said, as long as there is one man who dislikes his involuntary circumcision that is enough for it to be banned in my opinion.

If anything, it's an attack on traditional Muslim and Jewish culture, not the people themselves in any way.
Reply 108
Why are the German government trying to offer religious exemptions?

It's either acceptable or it isn't, religion should have no bearing on genital mutilation.

If Jews don't like it, they can move to Israel.
Reply 109
Original post by Arva
As long as there is a single man who didn't want to be circumcised then it is wrong. Even if there are none by chance it is wrong to make the permanent change on a parents choice alone.
No research needs to exist - it's a breach of free will and, like I said, as long as there is one man who dislikes his involuntary circumcision that is enough for it to be banned in my opinion.

If anything, it's an attack on traditional Muslim and Jewish culture, not the people themselves in any way.

Any type of surgery on infants is against free will so that again isn't a valid reason, beside that scientific research shows circumciion helps to reduce spread of aids and hiv
Reply 110
Original post by RyanT
Why are the German government trying to offer religious exemptions?

It's either acceptable or it isn't, religion should have no bearing on genital mutilation.

If Jews don't like it, they can move to Israel.

Muslims and Jews can just go on a holiday to Usrael or a muslim country, and have it done there, if the Germans want to be awkward they can, circumcision does no harm if done properly.
Reply 111
Original post by Ben_Dover

Void argument, the person you're replying to had not mentioned ear piercings, so you can't really use it as a counter-argument.

Doesn't matter as much how the adult men feel, it's a matter of whether or not it is correct to force this on a child. Adult men can still have it done later on if they don't consider it mutilation.

People complain about battery farms all the time. It's the reason organic produce has risen in popularity. As for individuals, a lot of people pick their battles rather than make a stab at everything.
Reply 112
Muslims and Jews can just go on a holiday to Usrael or a muslim country, and have it done there, if the Germans want to be awkward they can, circumcision does no harm if done properly.

I agree with you, I also don't see how religion should allow individuals to have different legal statuses.

You're welcome to explain why it will be illegal for an atheist to have their child circumcised but perfectly legal for a Jew, under the German governments proposals.

Genital mutilation is genital mutilation, I don't give a **** what sky daddy you prance around to under the full moon.
Reply 113
Any type of surgery on infants is against free will so that again isn't a valid reason, beside that scientific research shows circumciion helps to reduce spread of aids and hiv

It is a valid reason, because surgery on infants is usually done for their wellbeing. Something with as vast a cosmetic and quality of sex effect as a circumcision should be a choice, not something you have to live with just because your parents follow a religion. By the time a child becomes sexually active enough to risk exposure to AIDS and HIV they should be able to make the decision themselves, even though I'm pretty sure that research has been largely disproven. Sterilising people would also reduce the spread of AIDS and HIV, but once again a condom is a preferable alternative.
Reply 114
Original post by RyanT
I agree with you, I also don't see how religion should allow individuals to have different legal statuses.

You're welcome to explain why it will be illegal for an atheist to have their child circumcised but perfectly legal for a Jew, under the German governments proposals.

Genital mutilation is genital mutilation, I don't give a **** what sky daddy you prance around to under the full moon.

To my knowledge most circumcisions are carried out by jews and muslims and some christians, which is precisely why this law is being discussed, Germany has a rich history of making notorious laws so why not add this one to the nuremberg ones.

errr seems like you have a hidden agenda, but incase you are interested i am against the ban jew muslims or athiest and male circumcision is not mutilation and it has medical advantages as well.
Reply 115
Original post by Arva
It is a valid reason, because surgery on infants is usually done for their wellbeing. Something with as vast a cosmetic and quality of sex effect as a circumcision should be a choice, not something you have to live with just because your parents follow a religion. By the time a child becomes sexually active enough to risk exposure to AIDS and HIV they should be able to make the decision themselves, even though I'm pretty sure that research has been largely disproven. Sterilising people would also reduce the spread of AIDS and HIV, but once again a condom is a preferable alternative.

Adult circumcisions take much longer to heal and therefore more prone to infections
Reply 116
Adult circumcisions take much longer to heal and therefore more prone to infections

Child ones are against free will and may permanantly leave a man unhappy with his genitalia. Adults can weigh up the risks of the surgery and their beliefs and come to a rational decision of their own volition.
Reply 117
Original post by Arva
Child ones are against free will and may permanantly leave a man unhappy with his genitalia. Adults can weigh up the risks of the surgery and their beliefs and come to a rational decision of their own volition.

You can get foreskin restoration these days
I agree with the ban.
Reply 119
You can get foreskin restoration these days

It will never be 100% the same, and not all of the nerves will be replaced perfectly. Also, why should the adult have to pay and deal with a second, tricky, operation on his penis because his parents saw fit to chop a load of it off when he was too young to speak for himself at all?

Your points are becoming flimsier and flimsier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending