The Student Room Group

General Olympics Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

The way Tom's team celebrated was the best!
Reply 41
what about boris?

they can't forget him surely
Chris Hoy for President!
Reply 43
Original post by danny111
Was that the fastest thread to go 10k posts?

Nah. Dunno about the a-level thread but we used to get through The Dressing Room thread in the football forum in a matter of days.
Can't believe the Olympics.are already over :eek:
Reply 45
Original post by lilabs
Can anyone explain how Daley did the Olympics when he was 14? Thought you had to be 16 in the year, but I don't know much :holmes:

Nope, just have to qualify. Many gymnasts are 13/14/15, we've seen 15yr old swimmers this time round.
Reply 46
Original post by MedicineStuudent
Sorry, I'm proud that Daley got another medal for GB. But what irritates me is that he gets more attention than our legends like Sir Ben Ainslie and Chris Hoy

Yeah - that's just the nature of sport though. It's like legendary defenders in football not getting the same attention as strikers who are just decent.
I think they ment it was just a perfect moment for him to come out... He might not be but my Gadar is off the scale when he does interviews, but he might be just camp :smile:
Original post by stefl14
You didn't get my point at all you idiot. My point was that, just because Bolt has been amazing since being a junior it doesn't mean that Bolt could've definitely achieved what he has without drugs. This is what you are suggesting by bumming his junior record. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

You have no point. There is no standard path of development progression that athletes follow as they get older. People peak at different ages. Drugs effect different people in different ways. No one knows how fast a cheating athlete would have been, or how fast a clean athlete could have been, so stop pretending that you do. As Bolt was such a prodical youth, it's logical to suggest that his times are clean. Yes, there is a possibility that he is cheating. Lots of things are hypothetically a possibility. Stop trying to pass off your hypothetical ramblings as anything other than hypothetical ramblings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Chin up @rileyy69
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by benten17
He came 7mth I think

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ah :smile: thanks but I mean how eas he 'allowed' to do it not being 16?
Reply 51
Because he was good enough at the time I guess. Is there a minimum age to compete in the Olympics, I don't think so?

Reply 52
Original post by Derrick1509
Can't believe the Olympics.are already over :eek:

They aren't over yet. We still have the Spice Girls to look forward to tomorrow :frown:
The joy...

Reply 53
I love Mo
Jamaica is gonna be mad today :eek:. Would love to be there
Reply 55
Original post by Jaydiee
I love Mo

Seconded. :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by MedicineStuudent
Sorry, I'm proud that Daley got another medal for GB. But what irritates me is that he gets more attention than our legends like Sir Ben Ainslie and Chris Hoy

For someone who's pretending to study medicine you're pretty useless at picking up on the details.

It's Ben Ainslie and Sir Chris Hoy.
Reply 57
Original post by pol pot noodles
You have no point. There is no standard path of development progression that athletes follow as they get older. People peak at different ages. Drugs effect different people in different ways. No one knows how fast a cheating athlete would have been, or how fast a clean athlete could have been, so stop pretending that you do. Stop trying to pass off your hypothetical ramblings as anything other than hypothetical ramblings.

You stop trying to act that Bolt can't even be questioned. Just because he was a great junior it doesn't mean he would have DEFINITELY achieved the times he has without drugs. All I have said is that it is a possibility whereas you are acting as if there is no way. So many hugely successful athletes in the past have later been found out to be cheats (drug tests mean nothing until they are retested about 10 years later).
Reply 58
Bit of a shame that we get a new thread, just as the Olympics is about to end.
Reply 59
thats the one

everyone loves him

Quick Reply

Latest