The Student Room Group

Is this gay guy just being friendly or something else?

anon or delete

I sort of know this guy on facebook, we've got similar tastes in films so we talk every now and then on facebook about films. He seems like a cool guy and we have similar interests. He seems to make more of an effort to talk to me then I do to him though. He asked me if i wanna meet up sometime for a pint or two. Doesn't seem like he's trying to hit on me but I have my suspisions...

I'm a STRAIGHT guy, I have a babyface and I guess you could say I'm a bit of a pretty boy(I dress well and style my hair), I get attention from girls. I'm not the manliest guy but I don't give off a gay vibe either. When I first meet people they always know I'm straight.

Do you think I should just be a friendly guy and just do it? I wanna increase my social circle and get to know more people, but I'm just scared he might be thinking of something else...

What you guys think?

Some opinions from gay people would be good aswell, is this guy trying to hit on me or is he just being a friendly person? Dunno what I should do..
Reply 1
You could say something to him like "oh, there's this girl I really fancy I know, I'm thinking of asking her out", sends the message without being confrontational, and you can judge by his reaction. If he does just want to be mates, he'll probably enquire and offer advice, if not, he'll probably try to change the subject.

I've heard that a lot of gay guys like the idea of "turning" straight guys, so maybe he sees some potential in you! In any case, it isn't the end of the world if he is into you, is it? It's not like he's going to attack you, just say no and go home.
Reply 2
Anon or delete

That's one of the things I'm worried about, he might be thinking of "converting me" or some s***. Not that it would work, but I really can't be bothered to have to deal with something like that. I just wanna be a friendly guy and get to know more people without having to worry about someone trying to turn me gay or whatever.

Maybe I should just reply to him and say yeah we can grab a pint and chill sometime, but right now's not a good time as I'm really busy with work and stuff(its true anyways). Then several months later when I've got a girlfriend and it's displayed on facebook for all to see, I can go meet him and make friends with him. Atleast then he'll understand that I'm 100% straight with no potential to be converted. Cause I've been single for a while so maybe hes thinking theres potential?

I'm a friendly guy and always open to getting to know more people, he seems like a cool dude that I'd like to be friends with but I don't wanna have to deal with someone trying to convert me. No offence to anyone.

I'm open to more opinions though
Well, while I am gay, I would assume he is just trying to be friendly, although it could be the complete opposite and him being a 45 year old guy with thinning hair and some dodgy teeth.

My main priority is making friends in real life. I would personally NEVER meet anyone online.
Unless you have had a webcam chat or something perhaps, although, never worry about being "converted", it doesn't happen. You can't change someone's sexual orientation, the guy I like is straight and has a girlfriend and I would NEVER try and do anything seeing as he likes this girl because I am his FRIEND not a predator...

Although, there are some sick guys in this world.
(edited 11 years ago)
I really take issue with this idea that gay guys try to convert straight people. Most gay guys will not seriously try to "turn" anyone...what's the point? If they're straight they're straight and if they get anywhere...then clearly they are at the very least confused. Don't worry about that. Yes, its possible that he likes you, but its equally possible that he doesn't and is just trying to be your friend.

Don't let the idea that he might like you stop you from being friends with him. you don't know that he does like you in that way do you? If anything comes up, just be mature and explain that you're not gay. Its more than likely he'll be fine with it and back off. After all if he's not sure you're straight then you can't blame him for trying!
Reply 5
Original post by Theatre_student
I really take issue with this idea that gay guys try to convert straight people. Most gay guys will not seriously try to "turn" anyone...what's the point? If they're straight they're straight and if they get anywhere...then clearly they are at the very least confused. Don't worry about that. Yes, its possible that he likes you, but its equally possible that he doesn't and is just trying to be your friend.

Don't let the idea that he might like you stop you from being friends with him. you don't know that he does like you in that way do you? If anything comes up, just be mature and explain that you're not gay. Its more than likely he'll be fine with it and back off. After all if he's not sure you're straight then you can't blame him for trying!

Sorry then, I've just had a couple of gay guys try to pull me even knowing I was straight, mainly when I was espeically young looking (again, no offense, but it is something I've observed). Maybe "convert" is the wrong word, just see if they'll have a one off? I'm not judging in any case, a lot of straight guys find lesbians attractive so we can't really complain.
Original post by Mankytoes
Sorry then, I've just had a couple of gay guys try to pull me even knowing I was straight, mainly when I was espeically young looking (again, no offense, but it is something I've observed). Maybe "convert" is the wrong word, just see if they'll have a one off? I'm not judging in any case, a lot of straight guys find lesbians attractive so we can't really complain.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was singling you out- I was just talking about the idea as a whole- it just seems like people make a bigger deal of it if its a guy doing it to another guy than say someone carrying on hitting on someone of the other sex even if they weren't interested. I just find it odd how this concept is different when it comes to gay people..
Reply 7
Original post by Theatre_student
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was singling you out- I was just talking about the idea as a whole- it just seems like people make a bigger deal of it if its a guy doing it to another guy than say someone carrying on hitting on someone of the other sex even if they weren't interested. I just find it odd how this concept is different when it comes to gay people..

Nah it's fair enough, I find it hilarious when straight guys are like "oh my God a gay guy came on to me, I'm so annoyed", I'm like how many times have you done that to girls?
Always assume that he's after friendship until proven otherwise. Just because you're a guy, doesn't mean he wants you to be his boyfriend lol. Some gay men have types that they are interested in as well, like straight men do with women! haha
Would you grab a pint with a girl just to be friends?
With that in mind, he's probably hitting on you.
Back to the wall lad, he smells fresh meat.
Reply 11
I'm gay and I always go for a couple of pints with people, straight guys, girls, anyone, and it's not to hit on them it's just to make friends and have small talk :smile:
Reply 12
Go for the drink with him, and if he's flirting then just be upfront about it. It's honestly the best way because it leaves no room for doubt. After all, you're in control of your own body and actions here so the worst he'll do is make a pass at you. I think you'll find he only has platonic friendship on his mind though..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending