The Student Room Group

There is something wrong here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DSWood
Remarked the English paper- went from a D to an A two marks of an A*.

Which was nice.

Very nice :yep:

Well done!

Original post by Battenberg
Wow, looking at some of the posts on here there must be some really incompetent markers out there. Very concerning that this hasn't been properly addressed by the relevant authorities.

Agreed. Students play their part, why can't the examiners play theirs?
Reply 221
Has anyone had any priority photocopies of their exam scripts back from OCR yet? AQA were very quick, but surprise surprise Britain's best exam board OCR are the slowest... (sarcasm!). I requested on Friday 16 August, and AQA's were back on next Wednesday; nout from OCR yet.
Original post by toff33popcorn
Condolences to people who did not get the grades they wanted and believe they deserved. We are in the same boat. :frown:

This is a JOKE. I know people who completed a WHOLE paper of an exam, are CLEARLY not idiots and have some competency to perhaps answer questions with some form of coherency and came out with an 'e'? 'd'? or a 'u'?
These damn examiners have once again messed up big time. I'm sorry but i will not settle for a U or D just because you are pissed at the amount of scripts you have to mark. Don't become an examiner if you can't handle it! Don't mess up my chances of becoming something in life just because you are having some personal issues. You don't see me or other thousands of students around the country dragging their personal issues into exams do you?! GOSH. I am soo angry. I think there was a clear mess up this year. D's? E's? ****ing U's??
So i didn't work my butt off to the core and I was never in the library 24/7, BUT i did work a very good hard amount and to come out with grades that literally say ''You are a dumb person who didn't do an ounce of work this year'' is just insulting. It's insulting to all of us who. I mean...why does there even have to be a U grade?? *cry*

...Rant over.

Sorry. Had to get it out.

Totally unsertand how you feel! For my english lan exam which was split into 2 parts, the first part I got an A but then the second part I got a D?! In all my mocks my results has always been a A*/A overall! The markings are so inconsistent this year! For english lan I've cashed in a B.. :mad: not happy at all! Was fully expecting the A!! :cool:
I got one of my A2 units in Sociology remarked and I went up from a B to a high A. If it wasnt for me being so adamant I wouldnt have got it re-marked, I think everyone should go for it if they feel they have been marked wrongly! It's a shame someone can get a grade they don't deserve because of an examiner simply not paying attention. If it wasn't for A-levels being so important in life I wouldn't have done it, but thank God I did.
Original post by winning11
Our entire class got a U in the summer philosophy exam, my english coursework somehow went from an A to a D, my personal tutor put this down to me probably not ticking all the boxes regardless of it being a high quality essay. I've already lost my place at both universities and my insurance (loughborough) was in clearing for the same course for relatively low grades compared to my offer, and now they have gone from wanted bbc to aab in the space of a day and have also filled up places on the course, the secretary was being short with me and wouldn't put me through to the admissions tutor.
I'm praying something comes of the remark but I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do anymore, and now I'm disillusioned with my art/humanities subjects too, maybe this is an opportunity for my to change my degree choice yet again. I can't even be bothered anymore, and when I was meant to go to a top university, why should I invest the same money and time to go to somewhere lower where my degree holds less value. I know you should just try to do well wherever you go but with the fee increase, the job market, going to a good university is just the first box to tick to even be considered.
Gap year it is, I feel like I'm never going to want to bother with uni anymore though.

I hope the remarks go well, it is really annoying when you feel you have to change your course. What did you do in the end?
Original post by triumphanttri
I got one of my A2 units in Sociology remarked and I went up from a B to a high A. If it wasnt for me being so adamant I wouldnt have got it re-marked, I think everyone should go for it if they feel they have been marked wrongly! It's a shame someone can get a grade they don't deserve because of an examiner simply not paying attention. If it wasn't for A-levels being so important in life I wouldn't have done it, but thank God I did.

Congratulations. Was it AQA UNIT 4?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Had both BIOL1/BIOL2 re-marked. Both went up, only by a few marks though.
So basically, it means I need to go back to what precisely these bstards are looking for :boxing: ha ha

It's one thing to know the content thoroughly and another thing to know exactly how they want questions answered and what in particular they want from us.

I'll be resitting both. Sucks.
My politics teachers think my unit 2 needs re-marking (low A currently.) I'm worried it could go down and drag the whole thing down to a B.
Original post by vVShabbaVv
Had both BIOL1/BIOL2 re-marked. Both went up, only by a few marks though.
So basically, it means I need to go back to what precisely these bstards are looking for :boxing: ha ha

It's one thing to know the content thoroughly and another thing to know exactly how they want questions answered and what in particular they want from us.

I'll be resitting both. Sucks.

Which board? Paper 1 Biology I wrote precise, exact answers answering the question and not rambling, got a D. Paper 2 Biology literally wrote any crap I could think of, rambled, brought in irrelavent crap and I'm not even exaggerating, made things up, I genuinely thought the exam could not have gone worse if I had tried and guess what, I got an A. I really don't know what examiners are looking for.
Original post by Freiheit
Congratulations. Was it AQA UNIT 4?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes, it was and thanks :smile:
Original post by truthwonders
Yes, it was and thanks :smile:

I'm also waiting for my reply for the same exam. Will let you know how it goes.
Reply 231
There is clear incompetence occurring in the examination system. I've just had my English literature exam from AQA returned and one examiner gave the paper 57, and another one has given it an overall mark of 46 with that being the issued mark. This isn't a re-mark or anything.
Reply 232
Original post by JackJack
There is clear incompetence occurring in the examination system. I've just had my English literature exam from AQA returned and one examiner gave the paper 57, and another one has given it an overall mark of 46 with that being the issued mark. This isn't a re-mark or anything.

I agree there is clear incompetence. I got my photo copy back of my LTA1C paper today and the examiner has marked one of my questions out of 41, but the question is out of 45. I don't understand this, is this examiner just stupid? :s-smilie:
I'm seeing a lot of essay based subjects getting remarked and getting higher marks afterwards...which is why I prefer maths/sciences :h:
Original post by Freiheit
I'm also waiting for my reply for the same exam. Will let you know how it goes.

That's great, hope it went well?
Reply 235
I've just had one of my exam scripts back: one examiner gave one question 38/75, and another examiner upped it by 17 marks to 55/75 which is the mark I took. OCR are beyond incompetent. I got a raw mark of 69/100, but my results say I got 66/100 UMS which is a C grade, yet the June 2012 OCR boundary says I needed 67/100 for an A grade raw mark, but I got 69 and got a C.

I don't get it.
Reply 236
Original post by JackJack
I've just had one of my exam scripts back: one examiner gave one question 38/75, and another examiner upped it by 17 marks to 55/75 which is the mark I took. OCR are beyond incompetent. I got a raw mark of 69/100, but my results say I got 66/100 UMS which is a C grade, yet the June 2012 OCR boundary says I needed 67/100 for an A grade raw mark, but I got 69 and got a C.

I don't get it.

Are you sure it wasn't originally 55/75 and then got downgraded to 38/75?
Reply 237
Original post by Groat
Are you sure it wasn't originally 55/75 and then got downgraded to 38/75?

No. That was one section. On front it says 14 for Section A and 55 for Section B with overall mark as 69. The other marks of 19 for Section A and 38 for Section B are crossed out. The examiner's comments for the 38 marks on back page have got a line through them, and the 38 mark.

I got my geography script back, checked the page reference at that does match the raw mark boundary. But I'm pretty sure the boundary for this paper on their website says 67/100 for an A grade raw mark. I would give you link and let you check, except their website is down for me... Typical OCR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SarahAlexis
Which board? Paper 1 Biology I wrote precise, exact answers answering the question and not rambling, got a D. Paper 2 Biology literally wrote any crap I could think of, rambled, brought in irrelavent crap and I'm not even exaggerating, made things up, I genuinely thought the exam could not have gone worse if I had tried and guess what, I got an A. I really don't know what examiners are looking for.

AQA
Did anyone get Edexcel or OCR re-marked? Just curious to see the outcome as my teacher said there's no point in remarking as their very good markers and hardly go up.

Quick Reply

Latest