The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Is ABBC at AS and 2 A*'s 3A's, 6B's and a Distinction in ICT at GCSE enough to apply to Plymouth Medical School? Has anyone with similar grades got in?
Any help/advice will be much appreciated.
:smile:
Reply 1681
Original post by Dr. Sizzle
Is ABBC at AS and 2 A*'s 3A's, 6B's and a Distinction in ICT at GCSE enough to apply to Plymouth Medical School? Has anyone with similar grades got in?
Any help/advice will be much appreciated.
:smile:

Yes, it's fine. Whether you get an interview would depend on your predicted grades and your UKCAT score.
Original post by myyrh
Yes, it's fine. Whether you get an interview would depend on your predicted grades and your UKCAT score.

Hi Myyrh :smile: I was just wondering how much do peninsula (exeter and plymouth) and liverpool look at AS results (or is it solely A2 predictions)? Thanks in advance :smile:
x
Reply 1683
Original post by AishaTara
Hi Myyrh :smile: I was just wondering how much do peninsula (exeter and plymouth) and liverpool look at AS results (or is it solely A2 predictions)? Thanks in advance :smile:
x

Peninsula don't really look at AS with results with the exception of the fourth subject which needs to meet the minimum requirement (C I think). Liverpool does not use the AS results, again with the exception of the fourth subject which needs to be a B grade.
Original post by myyrh
Peninsula don't really look at AS with results with the exception of the fourth subject which needs to meet the minimum requirement (C I think). Liverpool does not use the AS results, again with the exception of the fourth subject which needs to be a B grade.

thank god! thank you so so much! do you know about any other medical schools which follow this principle? thanks! x
Reply 1685
Original post by AishaTara
thank god! thank you so so much! do you know about any other medical schools which follow this principle? thanks! x

Newcastle
Durham
Cardiff
Glasgow
Manchester (I think)
They're probably more but you'll have to research their admission policies.
Reply 1686
Original post by myyrh
Newcastle
Durham
Cardiff
Glasgow
Manchester (I think)

Belfast have a quota system that if you get a certain number of points you are guarenteed interview all on GCSE and UKCAT.
Reply 1687
Anyone heard anything about the enrolment packs we were supposed to receive?
Original post by myyrh
Newcastle
Durham
Cardiff
Glasgow
Manchester (I think)

Do you know if you have a chance at Peninsula if you already have AAAa? I am wondering who the A*AA offer goes to and if a re applicant has a chance of an interview with the grades above. What do they base their interview selection on (in reality)?
Reply 1689
Original post by medication
Do you know if you have a chance at Peninsula if you already have AAAa? I am wondering who the A*AA offer goes to and if a re applicant has a chance of an interview with the grades above. What do they base their interview selection on (in reality)?

The A*AA offer was meant to be only given to applicants who were predicted those grades but they never went through with that policy in the end (they may do this year). Re applicants used to get interviewed regardless of UKCAT score but apparently people have called up Exeter/Plymouth and this is no longer the case, the UKCAT is apparently still being taken into consideration.
In reality it was solely on predicted A level grades and UKCAT score.
Original post by myyrh
The A*AA offer was meant to be only given to applicants who were predicted those grades but they never went through with that policy in the end (they may do this year). Re applicants used to get interviewed regardless of UKCAT score but apparently people have called up Exeter/Plymouth and this is no longer the case, the UKCAT is apparently still being taken into consideration.
In reality it was solely on predicted A level grades and UKCAT score.

So an AAAa with a 690 UKCAT and 8 A*s/2A's - has a good chance of an interview at peninsula? do not want to make the mistake of last year with only 1 offer from birmingham (which i missed the A* offer by 1 UMS mark and they absolutely refused even to talk to me) - was going to apply to liverpool - except someone said they do not like gap students. Thinking and thinking which university will offer an interview - would be happy with any!
Reply 1691
So an AAAa with a 690 UKCAT and 8 A*s/2A's - has a good chance of an interview at peninsula? do not want to make the mistake of last year with only 1 offer from birmingham (which i missed the A* offer by 1 UMS mark and they absolutely refused even to talk to me) - was going to apply to liverpool - except someone said they do not like gap students. Thinking and thinking which university will offer an interview - would be happy with any!

Pretty much guaranteed (provided you meet the individual UKCAT sub section cut-offs which are around mid 500s but this does change). Who ever told you that about Liverpool is talking absolute rubbish, however applying to them will not be as safe as a medical school which selects applicants purely on the basis of UKCAT because of the whole subjectivity surrounding scoring personal statements.
Original post by myyrh
Pretty much guaranteed (provided you meet the individual UKCAT sub section cut-offs which are around mid 500s but this does change). Who ever told you that about Liverpool is talking absolute rubbish, however applying to them will not be as safe as a medical school which selects applicants purely on the basis of UKCAT because of the whole subjectivity surrounding scoring personal statements.

yes you make absolute sense- even i am trying to avoid universities that base decisions on personal statements! thank you very very much. greatly appreciated! -
Reply 1693
So an AAAa with a 690 UKCAT and 8 A*s/2A's - has a good chance of an interview at peninsula?

I would Imagine so, but remember Peninsula Doesn't exist for new applicants anymore so the entry requirements may have changed for Exeter and Plymouth, I doubt it though. with those grades you would be guarenteed an interview at Belfast last year.

not sure about other places but thats pretty solid score.
Original post by kp_komal
Anyone heard anything about the enrolment packs we were supposed to receive?

I got an enrolment email..
Reply 1695
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I got an enrolment email..

Haha, enjoy that working that one out!
Original post by OSharp
Haha, enjoy that working that one out!

It's actually a joke..
but I've finally enroled and got my first uni email lol

It's funny how we practically have no information about what will happen next week..
Plymouth medsoc has fully functioning website with a fresher's timetable
I can't find anything about what's going on with us exeter lot :dontknow:
Reply 1697
It's actually a joke..

It's funny how we practically have no information about what will happen next week..

Yeah I got the email as well, but that's all!

Shame we haven't received the packs/further information regarding our first week yet - especially as people are gonna start moving into their accommodation real soon!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1698
It's actually a joke..

There is a freshers facebook event that has all the Info for the fortnight.

Spoiler

Soo much drinking and dressing up
(edited 11 years ago)

http://www.exeterguild.org/fun/#all

For you and anyone else wondering, I saw this on the exeter students guild website, it looks about right I'm just waiting for confirmation.

Its got me super excited though :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending