The Student Room Group

'Don't discriminate against private schooled applicants or we'll boycott' - heads.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by boba
after reading the whole thread I do wonder why the most sensible post so far (the one I'm now quoting) has been pretty much ignored.

People like discussing state schools vs private schools :tongue:

Original post by punani
I think the problem is that this doesn't even treat the symptoms, it merely masks it. I think your suggested treatment will do more harm than good. Punishing academic institutions for accepting pupils who have better academics than pupils from whatever group is flavour of the month is a farce.

It completely undermines the pupils that it sets out to help and more importantly leads to a further decline in standards making the cause itself even harder to treat.

When my surgeon botches my operation because someone thought it was unfair that we didn't have enough black, Muslim, lesbian, disabled, hermaphrodite surgeons with learning difficulties who went to state school in the profession, even though they happened to get DDD at A Level, I'll bite my tongue and happily skip along on the other leg that they didn't wrongly amputate, safe in the knowledge that we are making a fairer and better society.

Does it merely mask it? It certainly gets a higher proportion of non-rich kids into the top jobs than would otherwise occur, even if a higher proportion of private schoolers still do get there. It gives state schoolers a more realistic hope that they can get somewhere, meaning they're motivated to try rather than give up.

One's ability at degree level is not judged based on their background, so your surgeon will have had no favours in passing their exams.
Reply 61
Original post by Hopple

Does it merely mask it? It certainly gets a higher proportion of non-rich kids into the top jobs than would otherwise occur, even if a higher proportion of private schoolers still do get there. It gives state schoolers a more realistic hope that they can get somewhere, meaning they're motivated to try rather than give up.

One's ability at degree level is not judged based on their background, so your surgeon will have had no favours in passing their exams.

I've noticed, I've also noticed that in these discussions only awful state schools and wonderful public schools seem to exist.

The state school I went to performs roughly equally as well as the only private school in the local area. (there are a few others a not that far away if people want to make the journey). I didn't do that well at A level, apparently that would be more likely to be overlooked than if someone from that private school got the same grades that hardly seems fair
Reply 62
Original post by boba
I've noticed, I've also noticed that in these discussions only awful state schools and wonderful public schools seem to exist.

The state school I went to performs roughly equally as well as the only private school in the local area. (there are a few others a not that far away if people want to make the journey). I didn't do that well at A level, apparently that would be more likely to be overlooked than if someone from that private school got the same grades that hardly seems fair

In general, fee-paying schools will be better than free schools because they have to justify the extra cost. There will be exceptions, and I'm especially surprised at your state school being on a par with a nearby private school, but in general it will be true so it makes sense to consider those cases.
Reply 63
Original post by Hopple

Do you think by dumbing down secondary education it will have no effect on higher education? I have a friend who works as a scribe for people sitting exams at a University. They told me that most of the people they scribe for don't have a disability or learning difficulty but are illiterate. So we now have people walking around with degrees In graduate level jobs who can't read or write. Excellent.

I suppose we would have to define exactly what it is we are trying to treat. If you give a person a job or a university place in the place of a better candidate because they fill certain social criteria, what sort of message does that send out? Is this worth it? Do we really believe that these people will go on to achieve more than the people who's places they took?

Also the undercurrent in this thread suggests that if there are two pupils with exactly the same abilities, grades and attributes but one go's to private school, this pupil will be automatically selected. This is a nonsense.

The real issue is that because A Levels have been made far easier than before to allow more pupils to be accepted onto university courses for social and political reasons, Universities can't distinguish between pupils purely on academics because more and more pupils are getting A grades. This has actually damaged pupils from state schools more than it has helped them.

This means that University courses are having to be dumbed down because otherwise too many students would be failing when they aren't able to cope with the academic demands and so our whole education system becomes a farce. Just look at the number of remedial classes universities have to run now to try and get pupils up to speed and the more degrees that are being assessed by a greater and greater proportion of continuous assessment.

The only way to really solve this problem is by going to the root of it and making our primary and secondary education establishments fit for purpose.
Original post by LETSJaM
No they can't do that; it would be the logical thing to do. :rolleyes: :tongue:

<3 x

Webster defines 'logical' as: Characterized by clear, sound reasoning.

I think perhaps you should review the definition.
Reply 65
Original post by JCC-MGS
Public schools showing a petulant sense of entitlement, what a surprise. The entire system discriminates against state school applicants, where can we boycott? At my Oxford interviews last year I met ONE other person from a comp in a college which is 4th highest for state school intake. I'm finding it difficult to believe public school kids are suffering

Can i ask when you say 'public' do you mean all private schools or just 'public' ones?

I see where you're coming from, but i'd just like to say - I went to a private (not public) sixth form, and the numbers of students getting into Oxbridge etc has been rapidy decreasing every year from a peak of about 50 per year (of 150 students) to 5 in the year i left.

It is true that Oxbridge and other top rate unis are being more fussy about independent (particularly public) school students....because yes they are under pressure from the government and most of the population to let in more state school students. Just being at a private school certainly does not mean you get into the top rate institutions, in fact i think often they have to prove themselves even more to the university because they have come from a good school - compared with those who haven't.

However, i'd just like to point out most students don't choose to go to independent schools and often their fees are not paid for by their immediate family. And now they are less likely to get into top rate unis.

So everyone's at some kind of disadvantage...whatever school they went to.
Reply 66
Original post by Hopple
In general, fee-paying schools will be better than free schools because they have to justify the extra cost. There will be exceptions, and I'm especially surprised at your state school being on a par with a nearby private school, but in general it will be true so it makes sense to consider those cases.

but all state schools aren't bad. And although they are amazing private school ones they are ones that aren't as good (and accordingly are cheaper) and I don't think its unusual for the less expensive/lower ranked private schools to be about level with the higher performing state schools.

there are better (and more expensive) private schools about an hour away which some people who really wanted the really good schools did go to.
If I was spending multiple thousands of pounds per year on my kids' education, and then got told that their school would not support them if they wanted to apply to certain universities because of their silly political protest, I would not be impressed.
Reply 68
Original post by KAB1010101
It is true that Oxbridge and other top rate unis are being more fussy about independent (particularly public) school students....because yes they are under pressure from the government and most of the population to let in more state school students. Just being at a private school certainly does not mean you get into the top rate institutions, in fact i think often they have to prove themselves even more to the university because they have come from a good school - compared with those who haven't.

It's not only independent schools. There's also been a decline in numbers at my school, from a peak of around 40 to roughly 25-30. I think it's because the school you go to no longer determines how well you can do in exams compared to a decade ago. For example, there are so many resources available on the internet now that motivated people can overcome shortfalls in their schools. These people are likely to get into good universities, because they have the necessary self-discipline and determination.
Reply 69
Original post by und
It's not only independent schools. There's also been a decline in numbers at my school, from a peak of around 40 to roughly 25-30. I think it's because the school you go to no longer determines how well you can do in exams compared to a decade ago. For example, there are so many resources available on the internet now that motivated people can overcome shortfalls in their schools. These people are likely to get into good universities, because they have the necessary self-discipline and determination.

Yeah i agree with you completely, but i don't think that's fair since pretty much all people at private schools are there through no choice of their own - just their parents wanting the best for them. So they got a good education and didn't need to do AS much for themselves..doesn't meant they didn't try equally hard and shouldn't mean they have to jump over more hurdles to get into a good uni.

:mad:
Original post by JCC-MGS
I didn't accuse Oxford of discriminating against state school students, the fact that I knew of only two comp students in my time there including myself is evidence that there is no great conspiracy against public schools, that's all. And I don't get how the **** you've got insulting people who don't get into Oxbridge from what I said but w/e

Yet again, it shows absolutely nothing of the sort. The only thing you can (anecdotally - I personally know 3 from my state school got into Oxford in the year I graduated alone) interpret from that is there is no conspiracy against public school students at Oxford - not remotely what the Private schools were saying (and I think the idea that any school would ever "boycott" (whatever that means - they ban their students from applying!?) Oxford is ludicrous anyway!).

Because people (not necessarily you) go on about how it's such a devastating tragedy that not enough state school students are getting into Oxbridge. The clear implication being that Oxbridge is particularly special and those who don't attend are being failed.
Original post by callum9999
Yet again, it shows absolutely nothing of the sort. The only thing you can (anecdotally - I personally know 3 from my state school got into Oxford in the year I graduated alone) interpret from that is there is no conspiracy against public school students at Oxford - not remotely what the Private schools were saying (and I think the idea that any school would ever "boycott" (whatever that means - they ban their students from applying!?) Oxford is ludicrous anyway!).

Because people (not necessarily you) go on about how it's such a devastating tragedy that not enough state school students are getting into Oxbridge. The clear implication being that Oxbridge is particularly special and those who don't attend are being failed.

Other Russell Group unis are much the same, their public school intake is far higher than the 7% of the population receiving an independent education. What exactly are these schools looking for, when the disproportionate number of independently schooled students at top universities is a consistent reality?

Oxbridge is particularly special. That doesn't mean people who don't get there have failed
Original post by JCC-MGS
Other Russell Group unis are much the same, their public school intake is far higher than the 7% of the population receiving an independent education. What exactly are these schools looking for, when the disproportionate number of independently schooled students at top universities is a consistent reality?

Oxbridge is particularly special. That doesn't mean people who don't get there have failed

They are looking for the academically brightest in the country, which Private schools obviously contain much more of proportionally than the state schools (the entire point of their existence). Of course they aren't necessarily more intelligent than others, but they irrefutably perform better in exams - the key to getting into good universities.

That's exactly what it means. If it doesn't matter that they didn't get in then there would be no fuss. The fact that a fuss is made means that people think it is of serious detriment to them - not a complete failure, but some form of failure none-the-less (or, perhaps more likely, just another case of "I hate the rich"...).
Original post by callum9999
They are looking for the academically brightest in the country, which Private schools obviously contain much more of proportionally than the state schools (the entire point of their existence). Of course they aren't necessarily more intelligent than others, but they irrefutably perform better in exams - the key to getting into good universities.

That's exactly what it means. If it doesn't matter that they didn't get in then there would be no fuss. The fact that a fuss is made means that people think it is of serious detriment to them - not a complete failure, but some form of failure none-the-less (or, perhaps more likely, just another case of "I hate the rich"...).

Grades are not the key to getting into uni, at least not the key to getting into Oxford or Cambridge. Grades are the minimum requirement, there's much more to getting in than the grades otherwise they wouldn't have entrance exams and interviews. They're looking for a lot of things, and in state school applicants those things can be much harder to find but it doesn't mean they aren't there, so when public school applicants complain that they have six A*s, DoE adamantium and became PM of Uganda in their gap year but still didn't get in it's not a conspiracy, they're just a bit confused as to what is desirable

It doesn't matter on an individual level if you do or don't get into Oxford or Cambridge, not many do. It does matter on a broader scale that our two greatest academic institutions, and essentially two of our greatest exports in terms of our cultural image, have a deep class divide at their core. It's like the debate over football managers' ethnicity, not being a football manager is not a source of crippling shame for black and Asian people across the country, but the lack of diversity in positions of authority compared to diversity of players raises eyebrows
Original post by Cellar Door
I go to one of these big public schools, £30k a year type... our head of Oxbridge entrance...

Oh dear.
Original post by Eboracum
Yes nail on the head for me, nice comment.

It was the same at my brothers Oxford interview. He was state school, some of the best grades I'd ever seen and was rejected. In fact, everyone I've ever known who's been to a state school has been rejected at Oxford, and I only know one person that got into Cambridge.

We need a system in which these universities understand that just because you went to Eton and are polished, posh and well presented, that doesn't mean you are better than somebody from a state school with the same grades. It probably means the kid from the state school is better, as he's achieved those grades in a harder environment.

One of the problems is the lack of preparation. My brother's college hadn't told him about the Oxford interview. He thought he was going for a chat, he didn't realise it was a test. It was so rare for them to put kids in Oxford, that no one helped him. At private schools, you are coached into it. It must be an embarrassment to go somewhere like Eton and not get into Oxford.

It needs radical reform for me. Problem is, Blair, Thatcher, Cameron...turkey's don't vote for Christmas, they are not going to change a system that benefits them.

I think it needs so much reform that if I was PM, I'd simply be willing to abolish the admissions departments at Oxford and Cambridge and take a week doing it from Number 10, if that's what it takes to get more state schools in there. It's a sham and many that oppose it, do it because it benefits them and their close circles.

Nail. On. Head.
i come from a government school

not a SINGLE means of preferential treatment has been applied to me because of my school.

ONLY the worst schools have context added on i.e to explain poor grades.

again, we measely middle classes lose out.
Original post by JCC-MGS

The number of private schoolers at these unis is actually relative too the numbers of applicants too these top unis. Its morr a case of not enough state schoolers applying proportionately than any discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Sheldor
The number of private schoolers at these unis is actually relative too the numbers of applicants too these top unis. Its morr a case of not enough state schoolers applying proportionately than any discrimination.

Is that not down to what people think they'll get in their A Levels, so they don't waste a space applying to top unis? That in turn is down to being in a state school.
Original post by Hopple
Is that not down to what people think they'll get in their A Levels, so they don't waste a space applying to top unis? That in turn is down to being in a state school.

*a bad state school in a disadvantaged area
Kids from good or average state schools do just as well as kids from average private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending