The Student Room Group

To Kill A Mockingbird Study Group GCSE

I'm sorry if there is already a thread like this somewhere, if so please point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same, but I really struggle with english so I thought it would be very useful to have a place to discuss key characters, quotes and themes and share resources we have created or been given by teachers. Even sample essays or essay structures. Whatever you can think of really. Anyway, I couldnt really see a thread like that so I thought I'd start one :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One of my favourite quotes would be at the end of the book where Scout says 'But in the secret courts of men's hearts, Atticus had no case...'. It's a profound statement by Scout due to the fact that that she, as a child realises the evil that is hidden within humanity's core. It has a structural role too because it elaborates on the fact that over the course of the story, Scout has matured from a fairly ignorant child to one who recognises that society cannot simply be described in black or white. She recognises the shades of grey between.

I really advise you to analyse Atticus' speech because I'd argue that it is the most important part of the story. The line "This case is as simple as black and white." (in terms of disparity between ethnicity) is important because not only does it completely describe the situation at hand, but it also states that the answer is clear - ie Tom's innocence but his race prevents him from getting justice.
Original post by Caz.123
I'm sorry if there is already a thread like this somewhere, if so please point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same, but I really struggle with english so I thought it would be very useful to have a place to discuss key characters, quotes and themes and share resources we have created or been given by teachers. Even sample essays or essay structures. Whatever you can think of really. Anyway, I couldnt really see a thread like that so I thought I'd start one :smile:

Do you mean like, exchange quotes and analyse them?
Reply 3
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
Do you mean like, exchange quotes and analyse them?

Or exchange analysis done in class/as revision?
Reply 4
Sounds like a good idea, commenting for thread updates, I'll contribute in the future.
Reply 5
How do you all plan to revise for mockingbird other than reading it over and over?
Reply 6
Original post by Caz.123
How do you all plan to revise for mockingbird other than reading it over and over?

I haven't even read it once.

We had a homework to read a few chapters last year, and I was picked to summarise the chapters we read for homework to the rest of the class.

I talked a bit about the chapter I read in school before we were given that homework and was stuck so said "it's the same as the movie", which got me in trouble.

I'm no expert but from what I've gathered, reading the book repeatedly isn't going to help much as you focus on small quotes? Or am I wrong in saying that?
Reply 7
Original post by Cubic
I haven't even read it once.

We had a homework to read a few chapters last year, and I was picked to summarise the chapters we read for homework to the rest of the class.

I talked a bit about the chapter I read in school before we were given that homework and was stuck so said "it's the same as the movie", which got me in trouble.

I'm no expert but from what I've gathered, reading the book repeatedly isn't going to help much as you focus on small quotes? Or am I wrong in saying that?

I think you have to show knowledge of the whole plot and be able to reference other parts of the book and make links to the extract given (are you doing aqa?). So you pretty much need to know the book inside out. Also for AQA you are given the section to use so the quotes you analyse might not be applicable for the exam, although of course you need to be able to analyse. Thats as far as I'm aware anyway, I could be way off
Reply 8
Original post by Caz.123
I think you have to show knowledge of the whole plot and be able to reference other parts of the book and make links to the extract given (are you doing aqa?). So you pretty much need to know the book inside out. Also for AQA you are given the section to use so the quotes you analyse might not be applicable for the exam, although of course you need to be able to analyse. Thats as far as I'm aware anyway, I could be way off

Yeah AQA, and good reply, thanks.
Original post by Caz.123
Or exchange analysis done in class/as revision?

Original post by Caz.123

:yep: Sounds like a pretty decent idea tbh.

My plan of action is just to read the book again, extract relevant and important quotes and see how much mileage I can get of of them.
Bump. :smile:
I did TKAMB for GCSE English Lit, not *that* long ago so I'm here if anybody wants to ask for an opinion/perspective :smile:
I swear everyone except my class has studied this book, it's so popular in the education of English.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
I swear everyone except my class has studied this book, it's so popular in the education of English.

The most popular is "Of Mice and Men" if I remember correctly :redface:
How did you guys find the book? I'm doing it so far Boo radley really intrigues me :smile:
I love that book! I did this last year, and I'm not really keen on English, but if there is one piece of advice I can give it's that the exam does not need stressing over - learn your analysis, don't learn the book. You will feel like you haven't learnt anything, but studying 'To Kill A Mockingbird' was, to me, like learning a language; rather than testing yourself and seeing an improvement, trust yourself to be improving over time. Also, I didn't conclude the first question, and I only wrote ten minutes worth of the final essay question, but I still did well. Quality, not quantity! Also, I may have some notes lying around, so I'll check back at some point and see if I can help ^^
I'm with WJEC can I comment?

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Everyone is welcome :smile: I'm with aqa. It's a pretty interesting book, such a shame she didn't write any others...
Original post by undiscovered_
Everyone is welcome :smile: I'm with aqa. It's a pretty interesting book, such a shame she didn't write any others...

:woo: she did... But they weren't anywhere near as good :tongue: they're a shame to her :colone:

I have an exam in January! Anyone else?

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:woo: she did... But they weren't anywhere near as good :tongue: they're a shame to her :colone:

I have an exam in January! Anyone else?

Well, none of them got published so I guess we won't know.. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending