The Student Room Group

Do you believe the world really will END this month?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I hope not, my flight home's on the 22nd, the timing would be very irritating.
Is it just the whole Mayan thing that's making people think this? Because surely they just got bored and decided that when it got to 2012 they'd make a new calender.
Original post by rcummins1
You must be a riot at parties.

Why I am. It's murder on the dancefloor.
Reply 22
the world will not end it just a load of rumors that have got bigger and bigger
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
On Thursday 20th I might go out and try to bed girls with the line "We could all die tomorrow". It's worth a shot. :colone:
Well, I'm going to get partying at Fort Amherst anyway. Looks awesome, Napoleonic fort and cave system turned into a club for a night.
No.

How could the Mayans predict the end of the world but not the end of their own civilisation?

That's because they didnt even predict the end of the world. Thats just when their calendar ended. They probably didnt see the point in doing more as they probably intended to carry it on when it got to being close to now.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I are planning on seeing the sunrise the day after. 1) it'll be romantic 2) it'll be one of the latest sunrises of the year and we're lazy so it works for us 3) we can post a picture of it to facebook/twitter etc saying how the world it obviously still here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by anony.mouse
No.

How could the Mayans predict the end of the world but not the end of their own civilisation?

Excellent point. I hadnt thought of that :smile:
No, think about all the other apparent 'ends' that never happened :rolleyes:
Reply 28
62616_2012calendar.jpg

No, I don't.
Reply 29
Well everything has got to end at some point but I highly doubt the world will end in 2012. No one knows when we will all die so what is the point in worrying about it, you would be better off enjoying your life :smile:
Reply 30
The end of the world is on my 17th birthday :wink:
One of my mates recently handed in her notice at a well-known supermarket, saying "I'm taking some time out of work in the event that the world ends in December". That's got to be one of the best notices ever.
No, not a chance. Which is, IMO, unfortunate, because I'm fed up of life.
I hope it does. I don't want to go back to school for another semester :frown:

edit: geez, what's the neg for?! it was a joke! come on :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think it will, but even if it does, there's no point worrying as no one can do anything about it, so meh. And End of the World party seems interesting though :smile:

Original post by 19eightynine
One of my mates recently handed in her notice at a well-known supermarket, saying "I'm taking some time out of work in the event that the world ends in December". That's got to be one of the best notices ever.

Was she resigning anyway and just using that as a joke excuse, or was she actually being serious? :lol:
Original post by anony.mouse
No.

This is exactly the point: they didn't predict the end of the world at all. This date is supposedly the last date of a particular cycle in their Long Count calendar, and there is no mention of any apocalyptic events. Think of it like the end of a millenium, it's just a period of time. There's also a fair bit of evidence to suggest that it wasn't even the Mayans who came up with the calendar, but I guess that's slightly irrelevant.

In short, there is no prediction (apart from what people are saying now, of course)!
No.

But heh if it did at least I'd get out my uni exams and practical write-ups due in for January :biggrin:
My milk says it will expire in 2013 so no.
Original post by coolhansel
it´s phisically impossible that the world could be ended in short space of time, is possible that start ending our society, but this is a fact, the humans are destroying the world, but we are smallest thing in the universe and when we dissapear from this world, the life and the universe will continuate...

sorry about my english, i´m learning...

being pedantic, but its not physically impossible at all... the laws of physics permit us to be gone in seconds! say a planet hits ours, we die straight away. but nevertheless ive still gotta wake on on the 22nd to go to work :frown:
Reply 39
If the world ends on December 21st i will be so annoyed. Not because of the fact that I'll be dead, but because of all those idiot, lunatics being able to smugly say, "I told you so" (probably just before being smashed in the face by an meteorite or something).

Quick Reply

Latest