The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Arts and Sciences

Hi! Is anyone here currently studying Arts and Sciences at UCL, or knows anyone who does? I would like to know a little more about the workload and anything else important about the course that I wouldn't get on the official website.

I should be getting the right grades (and hopefully a little over) but is it a particularly competitive course in terms of intelligent people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if it's only me and you who are applying for this course, it's gonna be easy to get it, since no one is interested in this thread. :biggrin: (heh, I wish)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Oh mean Prongsi! Well I am a current BASc (Bachelors of Arts & Sciences) student so I can cover some of your questions.

1. Workload - Depends on what modules you take, since you pretty much have a selection of much of UCL's modules you can have one term busy and one term free. This term I have 5 modules Physics, Engineering, Maths, Japanese & Approaches to Knowledge. Next term is Law, Quantitative Methods, Research Methods and Japanese. Having all your science ones in one term is a bit tough. Plus for the core modules much of your learning is done home via lecture videos and assignments, so you have to watch lectures before class. This means that some people say that BASc is worth 1.5 degrees time-wise because of the different types of subjects you study and the innovative way of teaching. But if you're good enough you should be able to handle it which links nicely onto the next part,

2. People - A diverse range of high quality candidates, obviously it being UCL you would expect strong candidates to apply, but honestly I would say that these students are some of the best and most motivated students you can find at UCL (even though I am biased, but then again I have been around UCL for 3 years now and have studied a previous course, so maybe not so biased).

Hmmm it's only been a few weeks since I started so I don't know what else to say. Oh we have the newest common room in UCL and by far the best, it's MASSIVE compared to other departments with it's own conference room (fitted with widescreen tv) computer stations, sofas and kitchen. Plus the staff are very responsive, any queries you have are answered almost immediately and they really go far to accommodate you. So much so that they are taking us on an all-expenses paid trip to Windsor next month. Anymore questions just post them up and I'll try and answer them :smile:
Reply 3
Thankyou so much :smile:) Can you tell us something about writing a personal statement for this course? Do they ask you to hand in the separate one?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Pretty much the personal statement can be as different from your main PS as you want. If I would have to say anything it would be that they are looking for intellectual curiosity and an interest in fields which spans the sciences, humanities and social sciences. Pretty vague I know but then again the PS is a blank canvass which you have to paint in YOUR own style. Just be yourself and if your right for the course they will pick you.

For my PS I focused on the field of Energy and explained how it covered different subject areas. Looking through the course modules on the website should be helpful in seeing what you can talk about.
Reply 5
Original post by Torvus
Oh mean Prongsi! Well I am a current BASc (Bachelors of Arts & Sciences) student so I can cover some of your questions.

1. Workload - Depends on what modules you take, since you pretty much have a selection of much of UCL's modules you can have one term busy and one term free. This term I have 5 modules Physics, Engineering, Maths, Japanese & Approaches to Knowledge. Next term is Law, Quantitative Methods, Research Methods and Japanese. Having all your science ones in one term is a bit tough. Plus for the core modules much of your learning is done home via lecture videos and assignments, so you have to watch lectures before class. This means that some people say that BASc is worth 1.5 degrees time-wise because of the different types of subjects you study and the innovative way of teaching. But if you're good enough you should be able to handle it which links nicely onto the next part,

2. People - A diverse range of high quality candidates, obviously it being UCL you would expect strong candidates to apply, but honestly I would say that these students are some of the best and most motivated students you can find at UCL (even though I am biased, but then again I have been around UCL for 3 years now and have studied a previous course, so maybe not so biased).

Hmmm it's only been a few weeks since I started so I don't know what else to say. Oh we have the newest common room in UCL and by far the best, it's MASSIVE compared to other departments with it's own conference room (fitted with widescreen tv) computer stations, sofas and kitchen. Plus the staff are very responsive, any queries you have are answered almost immediately and they really go far to accommodate you. So much so that they are taking us on an all-expenses paid trip to Windsor next month. Anymore questions just post them up and I'll try and answer them :smile:

Where's the common room? I'm curious as to how this course works.
And I'm guessing you're off to Cumberland Lodge - enjoy! was one of the highlights of my first year.
Original post by sundogs
And I'm guessing you're off to Cumberland Lodge - enjoy! was one of the highlights of my first year.

It's just opposite the Malet Place Engineering Building.
Reply 7
Original post by sundogs

We're heading off to the Beaumont Hotel in Old Windsor http://www.beaumonthousewindsor.co.uk/ it looks pretty awesome and it's all expenses paid :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Torvus
We're heading off to the Beaumont Hotel in Old Windsor http://www.beaumonthousewindsor.co.uk/ it looks pretty awesome and it's all expenses paid :biggrin:

Lots of jealousy coming your way! Have fun though :smile:
Reply 9
I was wondering if applying on a 4 year degree with a year abroad will give me more chance to get in or not?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
I think this doesn't have to great of an effect on your chances, but I would highly recommend the year abroad :smile:
Reply 11
Hello! Is there any current UCL Arts and Sciences student who can give me an insight into the open day/test. Also whether this involves an interview too?

Thanks!
This is the first time that I have heard of this course and it seems very interesting. Does somebody know if I can change my choices, although I am already too late. I do however have applied to the Mathematics course at UCL.
Original post by Torvus

LIES. ESPS students are far superior :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by donedone02
Hello! Is there any current UCL Arts and Sciences student who can give me an insight into the open day/test. Also whether this involves an interview too?

Thanks!

Open Day involves a test (no interview, unless you can't make the open day then it's a skype interview) which is based on your major and minor choices. It will be on stuff you covered in IB/A Levels etc so revise!!!
Reply 15
Original post by SimonAmsterdam
This is the first time that I have heard of this course and it seems very interesting. Does somebody know if I can change my choices, although I am already too late. I do however have applied to the Mathematics course at UCL.

You can potentially switch when you get to UCL, as there is a month at the beginning when you can change degrees in UCL. But you will need the prerequisites of a Science and Humanities subject (eg. Math, History, Physics and Philosophy).

Contact Amanda Cater on the BASc staff and query her about your options, and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by lifeisgood.
LIES. ESPS students are far superior :wink:

You ESPSers are only jealous because we have maths and you don't ;P
Original post by Torvus
You can potentially switch when you get to UCL, as there is a month at the beginning when you can change degrees in UCL. But you will need the prerequisites of a Science and Humanities subject (eg. Math, History, Physics and Philosophy).

Contact Amanda Cater on the BASc staff and query her about your options, and good luck :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! Fortunately I am doing 8 subjects, so I hope it won't be a problem.
Reply 18
Original post by Torvus
Open Day involves a test (no interview, unless you can't make the open day then it's a skype interview) which is based on your major and minor choices. It will be on stuff you covered in IB/A Levels etc so revise!!!

Oh so it will be based on a level stuff? The email said i can't really prepare for it though? It will be based on 'movement and flow' which i havr no idea about and nor can i find anything particularly useful on the net! Eeekk i'm feeling nervous now!!! heeeelp!!
Reply 19
Original post by donedone02
Oh so it will be based on a level stuff? The email said i can't really prepare for it though? It will be based on 'movement and flow' which i havr no idea about and nor can i find anything particularly useful on the net! Eeekk i'm feeling nervous now!!! heeeelp!!

For Sciences and Engineering it will definitely cover A Level stuff, I got Differentiation and Integration for Maths, and Enthalpy of Vaporisation (something like that) equations to calculate. Stuff you should know from your current studies, so read up on your AS Level Science and Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending