The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meat is Murder
Leeds, Newcastle and Southampton are not upper-middle universities. Put your copy of the Guardian down; they are top unis.

Unless you go to the big 5 then the next 20/30 unis vary in strength depending on the department. Southampton for example has one of the best engineering departments in the country.

Just wondering what you consider as the 'big 5'? (Excluding Oxbridge since that will obviously be in that list :tongue:)
Original post by Hungry Ghost

Certainly worth the outlay since you will only pay the money back when you are successfully employed in a good paying job; Southampton has a very strong Chemistry department.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Just wondering what you consider as the 'big 5'? (Excluding Oxbridge since that will obviously be in that list :tongue:)

If you really care what I think then PM me because I am sure no one else will care and I don't want to start another pointless debate on subject :biggrin:
Original post by Meat is Murder
If you really care what I think then PM me because I am sure no one else will care and I don't want to start another pointless debate on subject :biggrin:

Good point :P
Reply 24
Its still worth it to go to a low ranking ex-poly an degree is a must these days, I dont think on this form people relaise just how hard it is for an unskilled person to make a living let a lone reach finical freedom by their old age
I don't really see that this is any of your business, but if you must know, my place at QMUL was arranged via the Open University's 'Openplus' scheme, not through UCAS. Now could you possibly address the question posed in my OP?

Why on earth am I getting negged for this? :confused:

Because you sound like a snotty little kid.
Reply 26
Original post by EffieFlowers
Because you sound like a snotty little kid.

Why? Because I wasn't immediately forthcoming in offering personal (and irrelevant) information to a stranger on the internet?
No, it really isn't. You'll have much better job prospects if you didn't go to any uni.
Reply 28

Why on earth am I getting negged for this? :confused:

Your not very polite
Reply 29
Original post by t-swiper
Your not very polite

Neither are a lot of people on this forum, I don't see them getting 20+ negs per impolite comment.
Reply 30
Ok, my apologies. :redface:

May I ask why you mention Southampton specifically? I was learning towards Newcastle if anything.

Perhaps because Southampton is so highly rated for chemistry as a subject? See here:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Chemistry
Reply 31
Having witnessed the dreaded "unsuccessful" message come up on my UCAS page for both my first and second university choices, I'd like peoples' opinions on whether obtaining a degree from an upper-middle range university is still an economically sound decision given the increase in tuition fees and the abysmal jobs market?

To give a you little more information to go on: I've applied to study Chemistry and I'm currently holding offers from Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton and Queen Mary, University of London. As I say, I'd like to know your personal view of whether studying my subject at one of the aforementioned universities is worth getting into £30,000-£40,000 worth of debt?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

queen mary is part of the russel group anyway who cares?
get a good degree
get a 2;!
get a good job
hello
top unis are not the be all end all???
Is Durham actually that amazing?
Reply 33
Southampton is the 8th best university in the country for Chemistry, it is most certainly not "upper-mid range". There are many hard working students in this country who would love an offer from the universities you've listed who have to settle for places at truly mediocre institutions. Perhaps you should consider how fortunate you are before you go thoughtlessly rejecting your offers on the basis of some misconceived notion of prestige.
Thank you very much for your opinion.

Regarding the 'upper-mid range' thing, it's just a label I've attached to them to distinguish them from the 'top' universities that I've been rejected from.

I would have thought you would want to associate them with the 'top' universities to make your rejection feel better!
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Is Durham actually that amazing?

Well, it's in the top 5... obviously it's subjective as to what you think is 'amazing'... but given that the people I know who have offers from Queen Mary need on average about 320 points (not even specific grades) and those from durham are A*AA, I can't see how people can put them anywhere near each other, to be blunt.
Reply 36
No, you're going to die.
Reply 37
Original post by Rascacielos
I would have thought you would want to associate them with the 'top' universities to make your rejection feel better!

I see little point in deluding myself; whilst I recognize that universities like Newcastle and Southampton are still pretty good, they're clearly not on a par with Imperial, I don't think I could convince myself otherwise if I wanted to.
Reply 38
Having witnessed the dreaded "unsuccessful" message come up on my UCAS page for both my first and second university choices, I'd like peoples' opinions on whether obtaining a degree from an upper-middle range university is still an economically sound decision given the increase in tuition fees and the abysmal jobs market?

To give a you little more information to go on: I've applied to study Chemistry and I'm currently holding offers from Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton and Queen Mary, University of London. As I say, I'd like to know your personal view of whether studying my subject at one of the aforementioned universities is worth getting into £30,000-£40,000 worth of debt?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

All Russell Group unis, so I wouldn't turn your nose up at any of them. Definitely worth it, especially for a course like chemistry
I think the only thing you really need to look at is the graduate employment rate. Even some truly fantastic universities can have bad employment rates if their staff are unhelpful in career advice, or if the university has bad links with employers or a certain sector.

Latest

Trending

Trending