The Student Room Group

The interview discussion & help thread

Scroll to see replies

I got an interview for Secondary History at MMU on the 19th Dec.
My interview will involve a three minute presentation on a current educational issue, a group discussion, a written task and an individual interview. Nervous already but got plenty of time to prepare!
Hi guys,

I've got an interview coming up for Primary PGCE - part of the interview is a maths, english and science multiple choice test. Has anyone had a similar interview? I'm doing plenty of revision, but am also getting very worried about the test!

Good luck with your interviews everyone :smile:

Thanks x
Reply 442
Hi all!

can anyone give me any advice on how you 'revised' the national curriculum. I just cant seem to take it all in. At the interview, can anyone (who has had an interview) let me know how the incorporate the national curriculum into the interview/discussion? What kinds of questions do they ask regarding it? Im really struggling taking in all the other policies ive been advised to read aswell.
Does anyone have a link to KS3 core topics within subjects? All I can find is stuff like "pupils should be learning to develop their skills and grow emotionally in this way" and not have any clue on the kind of topics they should be studying.
Reply 444
I have an interview next month for a primary PGCE. I've chosen a trouser suit to wear for the interview but I'm unsure as to what shoes as should wear as I have a tattoo on the top of my foot and if I wear ballerina or courts it will be visible. Should I cover up my tattoo by wearing boots or not worry about it??
Original post by shellouf
I have an interview next month for a primary PGCE. I've chosen a trouser suit to wear for the interview but I'm unsure as to what shoes as should wear as I have a tattoo on the top of my foot and if I wear ballerina or courts it will be visible. Should I cover up my tattoo by wearing boots or not worry about it??

I'd say it shouldn't be an issue but go with boots just in case. You'll probably have to cover it up on placement anyway so might as well treat yourself to some nice work boots now if you haven't already got some! Xxx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 446
Hi,

Has anyone had an interview at Kings for Chem?? I am extremely rubbish at interviews!! Please please help as I have no idea what and how to prepare!!!!!!!!!!!

many thanks
Reply 447
Original post by DanUK
:smile: whens yours? mines the 3rd feb... i'm not sure how to prepare :woo:

Hi Dan-

Check out these interview tips from the National Career Service: http://bit.ly/X8IzJ5. Their website is full of advice for future teachers too.

Goodluck with your interview!
Hi, I have an interview at the end of this month for primary pgce part time and need to choose a childrens book to take a long for the group discussion. Once which I think could be used in the classroom to support learning and cteaching in more than one area of the curriculum and enhance social and emotional development, just wondering if anyone had a good idea about which book to choose or have had to do similar for their interview? Thanks :smile:
Hello! First post on TSR ever.

I have an interview at Cambridge on Feb 4th for a Classics secondary PGCE. I have to do the actual interview (of course), take an AS-level Latin test, and teach a 5 minute lesson on a Latin extract. The 'class' I'll be teaching is a group of 14-15 year old boys and girls of mixed ability, about 20 in total. Does anyone have any general ideas? 5 minutes doesn't seem very long at all, so I'm not sure exactly how to go about it! So far I'm thinking about drawing up lesson objectives/plans as if the lesson would be a full hour.

Also, I will have half an hour to write an essay on 'my perceptions of Classics teaching in schools today and developments in Classics teaching'. This is a little vague for my liking, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm assuming by developments they mean things like introducing Smartboards, etc. into lessons but not sure what they want to know about my perceptions exactly...

Any help at all would be really appreciated! And on a practical note, I don't suppose anyone knows of anywhere cheap to stay in Cambridge? I'm studying in Wales at the moment so I'd probably have to stay for at least 2 nights :frown:
Reply 450
Interview for drama at Edinburgh next week.
Got to prepare an audition monologue, a play text for an as-yet-unrevealed set task, plus a group discussion and an individual interview.
The group discussion and the set task are the ones freaking me out at the minute.
I'm wondering if the set task could be something to do with lesson planning? But not sure what sort of play to pick for it, other than it says I should be "fully familiar with it".
I just found out that I have an interview for PGCE Physics with Maths at Durham at the end of March! :biggrin: I was just wondering has anyone been interviewed for this or similar before? Any interview tips would be appreciated :smile:
I've got my first teaching pool interview next week. Anyone got any tips/advice regarding how to prepare and what sort of questions to expect?
Reply 453
Original post by liv89
Hi, Does anyone have any tips/advice regarding doing a teach a skill task at a primary pgce interview? Also I have been told that i have to provide written answers to some questions about my teach a skill task ie, what do want them to learn, how will you teach it, how will you know when they have learnt it, what will you do if they find it too easy/hard. They seem pretty straight forward questions but im worried they are expecting something more than the obvious answers. Also does anyone have any tips/advice for preparing a presentation on the day?

Hello, I have applied for the SCITT course and have been offered an interview!!!
What skill did you end up teaching? Also, what was teaching observation like? Did they ask you anything difficult?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 454
I need clarification.

I have an interview in a few weeks. Do I need to complete my QTS tests before or can I do them after?
Reply 455
Original post by Meus
I need clarification.

I have an interview in a few weeks. Do I need to complete my QTS tests before or can I do them after?

Depends on where you have applied. Some want it before interview and other don't mind. You should contact the training provider.
Hello! First TSR post ever!

I have an interview for SCITT at Two Mile Ash ITT Partnership (Milton Keynes) next month. In my last interview at Bedford Uni for PGCE I was unsuccessful because I wasn't strong enough on 'Knowledge and understanding of current educational issues / Understanding of the teacher's wider role, when working with children and in a school'.

I was just wondering how people have gone about preparing for these types of questions and what resources people use to get their information.

I am currently a TA in Year 5.

Thanks in advance for your help!
One of the questions I got asked at interview was "What is the greatest challenge facing the teaching profession today?"

For me it's parents. Definitely. The lack of ability or interest to be involved in their child's life.

What does everyone else think? Have you had this question?
Reply 458
I would say the near constant change that education undergoes, for example the shake-up to the national curriculum in both Primary and Secondary. I have been told by teachers that it is hard to keep up as people at the top keep moving the goal posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree. However, I talked about this at my interview and my feedback said that I didn't have a strong knowledge of the challenges facing teaching today. Maybe I didn't articulate my point well, but maybe this isn't a good thing to focus on at interview? I guess it totally depends on how you talk about it, but I suppose going in to teaching we know this is the nature of the job now.

Does anyone have any tips on preparing for the knowledge and understanding of teaching section of the interview? What do you read to stay up to date etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending