The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Skeppy
No its like asking a Pakistani if he feels Indian seeing though it used to be one big country, we look different to Africans, I dont feel African atall

How are africans supposed to look? Your analogy is rubbish- it wasn't one big 'country' there were many kingdoms
If anyone else with Jamaican identity has a few minutes I'd be grateful if you could complete my survey for me. It's about Usain Bolt and national identity.
Thanks.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/UsainBoltsocialmediaidentities
They are of African descent, but they're now Jamaicans, so they should consider themselves Jamaicans, however they shouldn't be delusional and say oh I have no african in me whatsoever I hate africans blah, blah. That's just being absurd, because slavery clearly says it all. Perfectly analytic. I'm Somali, my ancestors are of Arab descent. I acknowledge this but I say I'm Somali first.
Original post by gijops
this discussion is a less-sensitive version of the Japan origination theory. Science proves that Japanese people originated in Korea and migrated there, but if you ask a Japanese person if they feel they are Korean they will stick a katana in your face before you can finish the sentence.

Bit extreme shoving a sword in someone's face:confused:. But rightly so.
Not all Jamaicans are of African decent, there are white or Chinese Jamaicans too, for example.
Reply 106
Original post by Fuzzlepuff
Bottom line is, Africans and West Indians are two seperate ethnicities. And come off that we will never be indigenous to the West Indies rubbish, African Americans will never be natives to the USA but no one tells them they can't call themself African American.

Dur they are still American but do you see 'african american', they are of african descent. White Americand are not indigenous to America. Black Caribbeans are NOT indigenous to the Caribbean. You have problems ,how can you call yourself the 'slave race'.

Obviously there are all types of Caribbeans but Black caribbeans are not indigenous to the Caribbean. Why is this such a dificult concept for you to grasp? You are Caribbean but you are of African descent aswell
Original post by AvocatInTraining
They are of African descent, but they're now Jamaicans, so they should consider themselves Jamaicans, however they shouldn't be delusional and say oh I have no african in me whatsoever I hate africans blah, blah. That's just being absurd, because slavery clearly says it all. Perfectly analytic. I'm Somali, my ancestors are of Arab descent. I acknowledge this but I say I'm Somali first.

What do you mean your ancestors are of arab descent, wallah i hate when somalis say they are arab or crap like that. You are a black african nothing more and nothing less. Stop begging to be arab, it is not healthy.
Reply 108
Original post by Ebuwa
How are africans supposed to look? Your analogy is rubbish- it wasn't one big 'country' there were many kingdoms
You are and idiot if you are Jamaican and cant tell the difference. I bet you have never even been to Jamaica we are much lighter than Africans we are mixed with Indian heritage to. The vast majority of Jamaicans have Indian in them.
Reply 109
Original post by AvocatInTraining

Original post by kaboon-supreme
What do you mean your ancestors are of arab descent, wallah i hate when somalis say they are arab or crap like that. You are a black african nothing more and nothing less. Stop begging to be arab, it is not healthy.

The definition of an Arab is someone who speaks Arabic natively, identifies with the Arabic culture and who is in sympathy with the aspirations of the Arabic speaking peoples.

Alternatively, one could be classified as an Arab if he has Arabic linage even if he did not speak the language. Even though that is a weak association.

Regardless, calling people black african? Begging to be an arab? Your stupid and racist and certainly ignorant of the definition of an Arab.

And in case you did know Somalia IS an Arab country.

Salam
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kaboon-supreme

This lol
Original post by FinancialPanther
Not all Jamaicans are of African decent, there are white or Chinese Jamaicans too, for example.

Dont agree with this at all tbh .
They are NOT jamaican .
A white man born in china will never be considered chinese so why can they be considered jamaican ?
IMO Jamaicans should never be asked to forget their roots .But im talking about both .
If you are jamaican you are both jamaican and african .
All this "im not african talk" is air
Nooooo I would NEVER call a Jamaican African! Why would any African want to?
Reply 114
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
Dont agree with this at all tbh .
They are NOT jamaican .
A white man born in china will never be considered chinese so why can they be considered jamaican ?

Yes o. Jamaican is a nationality; hence you have black jamaicans, chinese jamicans, indian jamaicans etc . As I said before the Arawaks, Caribs etc are native and the only indigenous people of Caribbean nations such as Jamaican.
Reply 115
Original post by mousa
The definition of an Arab is someone who speaks Arabic natively, identifies with the Arabic culture and who is in sympathy with the aspirations of the Arabic speaking peoples.

Alternatively, one could be classified as an Arab if he has Arabic linage even if he did not speak the language. Even though that is a weak association.

Regardless, calling people black african? Begging to be an arab? Your stupid and racist and certainly ignorant of the definition of an Arab.

And in case you did know Somalia IS an Arab country.

Salam

looool you are so funny , go and post that in the somali society
Original post by Ebuwa
Yes o. Jamaican is a nationality; hence you have black jamaicans, chinese jamicans, indian jamaicans etc . As I said before the Arawaks, Caribs etc are native and the only indigenous people of Caribbean nations such as Jamaican.

hmm . Get what you are saying but i don't agree with you 100percent .
For instance i was born here but i am african .
I know for a fact that dave from essex aint seeing my black ass as english and i don't expect them to.
And neither do i.
Even the way i get asked by people "what country are you from" even when i am speaking better english than them .
Reply 117
Original post by Ebuwa
looool you are so funny , go and post that in the somali society

I don't know what is the big deal? Somalia is an Arab country as it is a member of the Arab league and its constitutions clearly states that it is an Arab country?

Thanks for posting it for me in the Somalian society
Reply 118
i wish people would realise jamiaca is the not the only carribbean island. i am half jamaican and from anuva carribbean island.

what people should understand is how diverse the ethnicities in the westindies are and that you can not deny west indians the right to call themselves west indian regardless whether there indo/black and e.t.c

i understand you feel carribbeans should acknowledge the afro in them but it opens a bigger can of worms as many are so mixed with ancestors from other races. i am jamiacan and have a taino grand mum a mixed great grandad on my other side and lord knows what other races are lurking it is just long calling yourslef all these races. just owning the fact we are west indian alone de complexis our lives.

west indies have established a culture and a whole way of life and i feel peaople should just let them own that and not empose on their culture and make them feel like its a big lie and there not actually west indain but african
Reply 119
Original post by sausageez
is ur real name Folashade? cos that's a Nigerian name, yoruba to be precise :confused:

Yes i am half nigerian and half jamaican, my mum is jamaican and my dad is nigerian, i have both a jamaican and nigerian name but my first name is folashade. i was born in nigeria but i lived in jamaica since i was one now i am 18+.:colondollar::smile:

Latest