The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
Of course. Many people prefer to head overseas to the US for their masters, but a fair number stay back in the UK to do postgrad studies at Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/etc. :smile: You should note that there aren't very many people who do postgrad studies at the first place.. I read that the figure was something like 20-30% of graduates.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
There's no reason why you shouldn't do your postgrad at Oxford if what you are interested in researching and the department's research interests conincide and they are interested in having you.

If you are only starting undergrad now try not to worry there will be so many opportunities that face you between now and the time you get to postgrad level - who knows whether your path and Oxford will cross?
Reply 3
I'm at Cambridge and we have postgrad students here from all sorts of random unis from all sorts of countries. There are more people from random places from places you never would have heard of. The only requirement is you get a First!
Reply 4
that will be my goal then! lol can any universtiy students advise me on how difficult they think getting a first is?
I know it depends on the uni and subject but any ideas? i'll most likly be reading politics...
Reply 5
Getting a first takes a lot of work. You need to be comfortable with your subject, and be dedicated to it. Your work should be concise, and exams require a LOT of studying. There's more to it than that of course! :wink:
Reply 6
Well im definatly DEDICATED to the subject! and i've become pretty addicted to hard work!! lol
ill just have to try my best...
Reply 7
well, what if my gcse's were all B's, I do well to get into Queen Mary or City, Get a first in my undergrad... Will I be able to then get into Oxford or Cambridge for postgrad??
Reply 8
abzyyy
well, what if my gcse's were all B's, I do well to get into Queen Mary or City, Get a first in my undergrad... Will I be able to then get into Oxford or Cambridge for postgrad??

wtf??! nobody cares about your ****ing gcses or a levels when you apply for postgrad!!!
Reply 9
Niccolo
wtf??! nobody cares about your ****ing gcses or a levels when you apply for postgrad!!!

LOL Well thank goodness for that!!!
It's because I herd to get into oxford or cambridge straight, they want 7 A stars minimum and rest A's... So i was wonderin if that still applies for after u get a under grad degree; which you have told me it doesnt so im very pleased! LOL.

Thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 10
abzyyy
It's because I herd to get into oxford or cambridge straight, they want 7 A stars minimum and rest A's... So i was wonderin if that still applies for after u get a under grad degree; which you have told me it doesnt so im very pleased! LOL.

Postgraduate application forms don't even include a section that asks for your GCSE grades (and they usually don't ask for A-level results either), so I think it's a pretty safe guess that they won't affect a university's decision.:wink:
Reply 11
Hi Kyle,

Im at King's cambridge and came from kings london, so its definitely possible.

I wouldn't think your gcse grades would make a difference, or A-levels. As to getting a first, well that depends on what you're studying, so don't think i can give much adivce, except to be original and self-critical.
A 2:1 can be enough for many fields to get a postgraduate place, most universities (including oxbridge) have the same level of requirements for postgraduate study in particular fields. My advice would be, when you know what you wish to study at postgraduate level, to have a look around and see who is best at doing that kind of thing (it is highly possible that it is not Oxford) and apply there. Don't make the mistake of doing a masters at Oxford thinking that this will impress certain employers because there is no guarentee that it will and that is a lot of money to waste.
Reply 13
Fer Jaysus' sake, what did we even put this sticky thread together for if people are still going to ask this question?

OP, read the thread I've linked to.
Reply 14
abzyyy

Christ. Groan. Ugh. Again, go to the above link.
common or not, i imagine it'll would be boring. london and oxford are two very different places.
Reply 16
The Boosh
common or not, i imagine it'll would be boring. london and oxford are two very different places.

Exactly. London is big, scary and non-bubbly. Eeek.:eek:
Reply 17
hobnob
Exactly. London is big, scary and non-bubbly. Eeek.:eek:

I will be finding out the differenc for myself in less than a fortnight :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending