The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They're entitled to do as they wish. It's their country. It may be racist and it might not be right, but they can do what they like. If you don't like it, don't go there.
Reply 2
Original post by paddlesnap
They're entitled to do as they wish. It's their country. It may be racist and it might not be right, but they can do what they like. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Please. Allowing repressive regimes that kind of autonomy is a recipe for disaster. Perhaps you're one of the people who also feels Adolf Hitler was entitled to carry out the Holocaust on the basis of "they can do what they like. It's their country".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Inzamam99
Please. Allowing repressive regimes that kind of autonomy to such regimes is a recipe for disaster. Perhaps you're one of the people who also feels Adolf Hitler was entitled to carry out the Holocaust on the basis of "they can do what they like. If you don't like it".

Not at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

What I'm saying is that yes, it's racist, and yes, it's unpleasant, and yes, I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through but if you were going to Israel having been to countries that Israel doesn't like, exactly what did you expect? There are multiple reasons as to why Israel is so protective - the Arabs kicking off after WWII, Six day war in the late sixties - if you have enemies on all sides that want to kill you, you're going to be very careful as to who you let in.

Nonetheless, I don't understand what you aim to achieve by posting this online - perhaps to rile the anti-Israel crowd? If you really want to attempt to bring about change, write letters to your MP, to the Israeli Embassy, whatever.
Reply 4

What I'm saying is that yes, it's racist, and yes, it's unpleasant, and yes, I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through but if you were going to Israel having been to countries that Israel doesn't like, exactly what did you expect? There are multiple reasons as to why Israel is so protective - the Arabs kicking off after WWII, Six day war in the late sixties - if you have enemies on all sides that want to kill you, you're going to be very careful as to who you let in.

Nonetheless, I don't understand what you aim to achieve by posting this online - perhaps to rile the anti-Israel crowd? If you really want to attempt to bring about change, write letters to your MP, to the Israeli Embassy, whatever.

I have never in my whole life been to an Arab country- my recent visits were to France and Belgium. Having experienced the discrimination Israel subjects both foreign Muslims and Muslims in its own territory on a first hand basis, I'am merely trying to raise awareness.

We would have to agree to disagree.
Reply 5

Dem illegal settlements...
I have never in my whole life been to an Arab country- my recent visits were to France and Belgium. Having experienced the discrimination Israel subjects both foreign Muslims and Muslims in its own territory on a first hand basis, I'am merely trying to raise awareness.

You indicated that you've been to Pakistan. Pakistan supported the anti-Israeli forces in the 1967 war and that's probably why you were considered suspicious. Coupled with the fact that you are a Muslim (I assume, please correct me if I'm wrong) and all of the states giving Israel grief are Islamic states, I can't believe you don't see why they didn't just wave you through.

Nevertheless - I agree to disagree.

Original post by Spaz Man
Dem illegal settlements...

That's a separate issue altogether, and I don't support Israel in what they're doing to Palestine. They may well have claim to the territory but oppression of those in the Gaza strip and the denial of the Palestinians of a sovereign state is plain wrong. There are better ways to achieve what they want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
You indicated that you've been to Pakistan. Pakistan supported the anti-Israeli forces in the 1967 war and that's probably why you were considered suspicious. Coupled with the fact that you are a Muslim (I assume, please correct me if I'm wrong) and all of the states giving Israel grief are Islamic states, I can't believe you don't see why they didn't just wave you through.

Nevertheless - I agree to disagree.

That's a separate issue altogether, and I don't support Israel in what they're doing to Palestine. They may well have claim to the territory but oppression of those in the Gaza strip and the denial of the Palestinians of a sovereign state is plain wrong. There are better ways to achieve what they want.

Let me tell you something, my white friend who was waved through immediately had been to Egypt, Syria (before the civil war) and Morocco in the past five years. The ONLY people who were interrogated twice were either Muslim or Arabs. You can make any excuse you wish for the Israelis but this disgusting treatment of innocent civilians based entirely on the basis of their race/religion is despicable.

I would rather not go into a circular argument with you over this.
Reply 8
OP, I've just read your blog and I really don't know what to say. I'm quite speechless to be honest, other than that is just terrible. Horrific, infact.

I'm happy for you that you were able to control your temper and manage your patience, something that would've defeated me. There's so much I want to say but I just don't know where to start.

I'm speechless. Literally, speechless.
Reply 9
Let me tell you something, my white friend who was waved through immediately had been to Egypt, Syria (before the civil war) and Morocco in the past five years. The ONLY people who were interrogated twice were either Muslim or Arabs. You can make any excuse you wish for the Israelis but this disgusting treatment of innocent civilians based entirely on the basis of their race/religion is despicable.

I would rather not go into a circular argument with you over this.

Yes but it would seem that is the only viable means for national security in terms of Israel, it's the target for many Muslims, and its not easy to pick out the muslim that wants to damage Israel, from the one that doesnt.

Its despicable if it was happening somewhere that wasnt in the position that Israel is in.

Adding to this, if its a despicable policy why would you want to go there?
Reply 10
Original post by Rybee
OP, I've just read your blog and I really don't know what to say. I'm quite speechless to be honest, other than that is just terrible. Horrific, infact.

I'm happy for you that you were able to control your temper and manage your patience, something that would've defeated me. There's so much I want to say but I just don't know where to start.

I'm speechless. Literally, speechless.

Probably the most difficult time was the second day in that cell, I lost it once when I started banging my shoe against the door repeatedly but fortunately it didn't result in anything negative.
Same here, I'm not happy either with discrimnation from what you have experienced in Israel, no one should be interrogated so badly like that. Not even bad, disgusting behaviour

I am planning to when I'm older to go to Israel Jeruaslem to see the Blue Mosque, looks beautiful

I also want to see what life is like for Palestinians in Israel, but also I'll look to hopefully smash my own stereotypes Jews in Israel, and hopefully help out Palestinians, maybe buy kids loads of footballs, or donated football shirts etc, to help them pass them the time, and to let them be well, kids.

What will it be like for me if I went to visit Israel?
Reply 12
Original post by Apocrypha
Yes but it would seem that is the only viable means for national security in terms of Israel, it's the target for many Muslims, and its not easy to pick out the muslim that wants to damage Israel, from the one that doesnt.

Its despicable if it was happening somewhere that wasnt in the position that Israel is in.

What position is Israel in?
Reply 13
Original post by Apocrypha

I wanted to visit Jerusalem mostly. Unfortunately the only way to get there is to fly in to Tel Aviv and take a shared Taxi from there or cross the border from Jordan. I was advised that the former was far less time consuming... Further to this, I don't consider Jerusalem to be part of Israel.

is that dude on the camel you, or have you pasted someone elses blog? anyway you can perfectly understand israels suspicion of muslim given the history of terrorism and threats, and also you are Pakistani so that probably adds another alert. to be perfectly frank form what I know of Israelis, im surprised they let you in at all - that might sound harsh but its a harsh reality
Reply 15
Original post by Pendulum3
Same here, I'm not happy either with discrimnation from what you have experienced in Israel, no one should be interrogated so badly like that. Not even bad, disgusting behaviour

I am planning to when I'm older to go to Israel Jeruaslem to see the Blue Mosque, looks beautiful

I also want to see what life is like for Palestinians in Israel, but also I'll look to hopefully smash my own stereotypes Jews in Israel, and hopefully help out Palestinians, maybe buy kids loads of footballs, or donated football shirts etc, to help them pass them the time, and to let them be well, kids.

What will it be like for me if I went to visit Israel?

If you are white and non-Muslim, you should not have a problem :smile:

If you are a Muslim then ensure you get a new passport before leaving if you've been to any Arab countries/Pakistan etc. Answer their questions calmly and if you're going planning to visit the West Bank do not let them know this. Make sure you have it planned out exactly what you will them if they insist on going into details of how you're going to spend your time.
Reply 16
Original post by cosimakarateman
is that dude on the camel you, or have you pasted someone elses blog? anyway you can perfectly understand israels suspicion of muslim given the history of terrorism and threats, and also you are Pakistani so that probably adds another alert. to be perfectly frank form what I know of Israelis, im surprised they let you in at all - that might sound harsh but its a harsh reality

It's my Facebook page.

Being harsh reality does not in any way make it justifiable.
Oh dear. Why don't you try seeing how easy it is to get into Pakistan with an Israeli stamp in your passport. They have every right to interrogate people who they believe to pose a threat to national security - just as this country does the same. Your claim that Israel is the "only country" on earth which practises "ethnic cleansing" and "apartheid" (despite the fact that international courts and legal scholars have repeatedly found that it doesn't) is somehow voided by the numerous examples of states who do it every day - Turkey has been doing far worse to the Kurds than Israel ever have to the Palestinians, and Syria has been in a state of civil war over the issue for two years now.

Every state divides its population by ethnic criteria, and even religious criteria. Ireland was partitioned based on ethno-religious grounds and Scotland is on the verge of voting to separate from the UK based on ethnic nationalism. Every European nation state in existence today stands as the state of one dominant ethnicity (Poland is the state of the Poles, Greece is the state of the Greeks), and all combine a certain element of religion in this too. To pretend that Israel is a) the only country that represents a minority group and b) the only place in which you will find racist people, is rather biased of you.

And, yes, the fact that you were banged up in the same hole as Cynthia "the Jews did 9/11" McKinney shows exactly what company you are in.

Anyway, I have a friend (and former poster on this site) who is from Afghanistan and visited Israel a few years ago. He did not have the same experience you did.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's my Facebook page.

Being harsh reality does not in any way make it justifiable.

isralei is perhaps the most hated country by muslims, in particular foreign muslims, so its justifiable to them that they are susicous of you- add to that you come form a country Pakistan that is argueably the Islamic terrorism capital of the world right now. it is only logical you aregoing to be monitored, possibly harassed. I known that Malaysian muslims got harassed there, so you were bound to- in fact as I said I think you got off lightly, I wouldn't have been surpised if you had got the full strip search/interrogation treatment given you flew in from Pakistan, I mean how many pakistanis go on genuine holiday to Israel? You heard of the 'Coke Bottle Treatment' right - equally as someome has just pointed out, places like Pakistan , Saudi etc would hardly be welcoming places for an Israeli to visit either, so you've really nothing to be surprised about
(edited 10 years ago)
I wanted to visit Jerusalem mostly. Unfortunately the only way to get there is to fly in to Tel Aviv and take a shared Taxi from there or cross the border from Jordan. I was advised that the former was far less time consuming... Further to this, I don't consider Jerusalem to be part of Israel.

Side question, what country were you born in? Generally if you're muslim and have been in countries such as Pakistan, Israel arent gonna be nice to you.

If you were in the position you were in, you have to be a pro-Israeli if anything. You're view that you believe Jerusalem isn't Israeli wont get you into Israel.

Also declaring your reason for wanting to go, if you mentioned anything about journalism youd get shunted instantly, also if you said you specifically wanted to explore religous (specifically islamic) sites, you're also gonna get shunted.

Remember this is a country that once a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship leaves the country, they arent getting back in.

Their policies are pretty raw.

Latest

Trending

Trending