The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dr. Django
CHOOSING UNIS IS SO DAMN HARD.

Thought I was down to 5, now im up to 6...

Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Leicester, Edinburgh, Oxford...GODDAMNIT

eurgh! I know, I'm really struggling. It's such an important decision and I feel nowhere near ready to make it! My parents have no clue either bless them!

Go for where you think you'll fit in the most, What are your stats like?
Original post by Lucyloo859
eurgh! I know, I'm really struggling. It's such an important decision and I feel nowhere near ready to make it! My parents have no clue either bless them!

Go for where you think you'll fit in the most, What are your stats like?

It's so hard!!! My parents are so funny " why does it matter, you'll get in anywhere " are the naive responses chucked around in our chats on the matter!!

I'm trying to do that but they all look so good!! My stats are decent I think: 9A*2A, 4A AS, 4A* predicted, 792.5 band 1, I don't really know how my ps is but hopefully it'll at least be average
Reply 62
It's so hard!!! My parents are so funny " why does it matter, you'll get in anywhere " are the naive responses chucked around in our chats on the matter!!

I'm trying to do that but they all look so good!! My stats are decent I think: 9A*2A, 4A AS, 4A* predicted, 792.5 band 1, I don't really know how my ps is but hopefully it'll at least be average

Wooahh! Nice one! I can see where your parents are coming from, well done on your grades!

I know what you mean though, noone in my family seems to understand how competitive it is. I told my grandad my AS grades and he said 'oh well, as long as you get C's you'll get in'.

Out of those Newcastle, Leicester and Oxford seem like your safest options as they are very academic-y and you're almost certain to get interviews at them! The others rely a bit more on the PS statement which is obviously more subjective. I reckon you'll be good for Edinburgh though cause they don't interview do they? So your academics will stand you in really good stead. :smile:
Wooahh! Nice one! I can see where your parents are coming from, well done on your grades!

I know what you mean though, noone in my family seems to understand how competitive it is. I told my grandad my AS grades and he said 'oh well, as long as you get C's you'll get in'.

Out of those Newcastle, Leicester and Oxford seem like your safest options as they are very academic-y and you're almost certain to get interviews at them! The others rely a bit more on the PS statement which is obviously more subjective. I reckon you'll be good for Edinburgh though cause they don't interview do they? So your academics will stand you in really good stead. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yeah, family members are a little naive when it comes to medicine! Can't blame them though as they don't know much about it :tongue:

Those are the 4 I was thinking of, although Oxford is a massive risk due to BMAT :s-smilie: I think Leeds is my choice if not Oxford as I loved leeds but it doesnt play to my strengths!!! Edinburgh is a lovely place too :wink: Hows your application coming along
Reply 64
Thanks :smile: Yeah, family members are a little naive when it comes to medicine! Can't blame them though as they don't know much about it :tongue:

Those are the 4 I was thinking of, although Oxford is a massive risk due to BMAT :s-smilie: I think Leeds is my choice if not Oxford as I loved leeds but it doesnt play to my strengths!!! Edinburgh is a lovely place too :wink: Hows your application coming along

Yeah, I guess they have no reason to know anything about it :biggrin: It is a bit risky but I guess it depends on how much you like it. It is only one BMAT one aswell, and I'm pretty sure you'll get interviews so you can afford to be a bit risky. You're in a really good position, well done :biggrin:

Yeah, it's ok thanks! Just really concentrating on personal statement stuff at the moment. That's the last bit to do then I'm done!
Reply 65
9a*s gcse 4 a's at as inc biol and chem

702.5 uk cat sjt band one

Is ukcat okay for Leeds? Also worry I don't have enough ECs

3 weeks medically based work exp, labs, theatre, physio, gp etc

Week in disabled Playscheme
Ongoing volunteering at pharmacy
Starting mentoring course

Was part of school leadership team (welsh runners up) prefect, peer mentor etc
Bronze d of e.. Basic life support..

To de stress I horse ride.. Before a serious accident I was competing up to county level, although still recovering I hope to be riding again when medically able

What else can I do to enhance my ps? Or is Leeds not a viable bet?
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't realise you were A2L too! Was you offer ABB then? Ahh, that's helpful advice, thanks! I only live about 10 minutes away from Warwick so I'll definitely look into that :smile:

It was :smile: made the wait for results day slightly less stressful, and I actually found both the modules really interesting :smile: and you might need your head of sixth form to make contact first, but they are really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9967
9a*s gcse 4 a's at as inc biol and chem

702.5 uk cat sjt band one

Is ukcat okay for Leeds? Also worry I don't have enough ECs

3 weeks medically based work exp, labs, theatre, physio, gp etc

Week in disabled Playscheme
Ongoing volunteering at pharmacy
Starting mentoring course

Was part of school leadership team (welsh runners up) prefect, peer mentor etc
Bronze d of e.. Basic life support..

To de stress I horse ride.. Before a serious accident I was competing up to county level, although still recovering I hope to be riding again when medically able

What else can I do to enhance my ps? Or is Leeds not a viable bet?
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I think the things you've mentioned tick the boxes mentioned here: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/selection-first_pass/6

Very impressive set of extra curricular activities! Your UKCAT is certainly better than mine was, though I have no idea how the new admissions policies could affect it, but it's a good score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Hey guys, I'll be applying to Leeds for 2014, absolutely loved the open day! Concerned about my personal statement, only got 5 days to write it before my school's internal deadline. Struggling to get it under 4000 characters, I think I'm going to have to miss out some achievements in favour of explaining in more detail what others have taught me etc. Is this the right route to go down? I don't feel confident doing it, as it seems to me that Leeds are going to require an ocean of extra-curricular stuff. Thanks!

My stats are (before anyone asks :smile: )
GCSE: 9A* 1A
AS Level: AAAA
UKCAT: 852.5
Reply 69
Original post by FP19
Hey guys, I'll be applying to Leeds for 2014, absolutely loved the open day! Concerned about my personal statement, only got 5 days to write it before my school's internal deadline. Struggling to get it under 4000 characters, I think I'm going to have to miss out some achievements in favour of explaining in more detail what others have taught me etc. Is this the right route to go down? I don't feel confident doing it, as it seems to me that Leeds are going to require an ocean of extra-curricular stuff. Thanks!

Wow amazing ukcat! And fab other stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FP19

Yeah you should always explain what you've learnt, or taken from, your experiences because the admissions tutors want to know about you. No matter how many activities you do if you just reel them off in a list (which I'm sure you weren't going to anyway) it doesn't really tell the admissions tutors anything about yourself. Try and be as concise as you can, whilst maintaining the quality of your explanations, to fit as many in as possible. Don't worry if you have to cut a few out, I did too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
ohhh, what's your remark for? I hope it goes well. I'm going for Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham and somewhere else (I can't make my mind up)

Quite similar choices then! :biggrin: It's for music - I got a D in my composition which pulled my grade down to a B. Quite annoying really!
Reply 72
Original post by heythere247
It was :smile: made the wait for results day slightly less stressful, and I actually found both the modules really interesting :smile: and you might need your head of sixth form to make contact first, but they are really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's brilliant! Do you know if everyone that applies to access to Leeds gets to do the course?

Original post by Lucy_95
Quite similar choices then! :biggrin: It's for music - I got a D in my composition which pulled my grade down to a B. Quite annoying really!

Yeah, it seems so! Oh ok, yeah that sounds fustrating!
Wow that's brilliant! Do you know if everyone that applies to access to Leeds gets to do the course?

As in gets to complete the access to leeds programme? As far as I'm aware as long as you meet 2 (I think it's two, I recommend double checking don't quote me on it) points if the eligibility criteria then you'll be put onto the programme :smile: then of course if you're made an offer you'll complete the modules, if you make leeds your firm choice. You do have to pass the modules to get the A2L offer though. :smile: I never actually applied to the A2L scheme but was luckily automatically identified when Leeds made me an offer, but definitely apply because not everyone who's eligible is automatically identified, for example my friend who's doing Physics wasn't identified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
As in gets to complete the access to leeds programme? As far as I'm aware as long as you meet 2 (I think it's two, I recommend double checking don't quote me on it) points if the eligibility criteria then you'll be put onto the programme :smile: then of course if you're made an offer you'll complete the modules, if you make leeds your firm choice. You do have to pass the modules to get the A2L offer though. :smile: I never actually applied to the A2L scheme but was luckily automatically identified when Leeds made me an offer, but definitely apply because not everyone who's eligible is automatically identified, for example my friend who's doing Physics wasn't identified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, i'll definitely apply. Are the modules very hard to pass? (thanks for answering all these questions by the way, I really appreciate it :smile: )
yeah, i'll definitely apply. Are the modules very hard to pass? (thanks for answering all these questions by the way, I really appreciate it :smile: )

No problem! :smile: and I found them alright, no more difficult to pass than a piece of a level work. They're sort of like very short pieces of coursework. The modules are marked at a level equivalent to A2 work, so it's nothing you won't be used to, just make sure you put the effort in which I'm sure you will. You have to get a 'pass' on both to be eligible for the A2L offer and the grading goes: Excellent pass, Very good pass, Good pass, Sound pass, Pass, Fail and Serious fail. You could look at it as a pass being an E grade then the rest would go up in order. But yeah as long as you don't rush them last minute or anything I imagine you'd pass :smile: I got very good pass on both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
No problem! :smile: and I found them alright, no more difficult to pass than a piece of a level work. They're sort of like very short pieces of coursework. The modules are marked at a level equivalent to A2 work, so it's nothing you won't be used to, just make sure you put the effort in which I'm sure you will. You have to get a 'pass' on both to be eligible for the A2L offer and the grading goes: Excellent pass, Very good pass, Good pass, Sound pass, Pass, Fail and Serious fail. You could look at it as a pass being an E grade then the rest would go up in order. But yeah as long as you don't rush them last minute or anything I imagine you'd pass :smile: I got very good pass on both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ok then, as long as they're not ridiculously hard! Thanks :smile:
Reply 77
Hi,

I want to apply to Leeds this year. My GCSE grades were 9A*'s and 1 A and my AS grades were AAAB, I am expecting to predicted either AAA or A*AA at A2 level. I scored 2920 in the UKCAT which is 730 average, band 1 SJ

I'm worried that my b at AS level might make me less of a competitive candidate - should I still apply?
Original post by li-vvy
Hi,

I want to apply to Leeds this year. My GCSE grades were 9A*'s and 1 A and my AS grades were AAAB, I am expecting to predicted either AAA or A*AA at A2 level. I scored 2920 in the UKCAT which is 730 average, band 1 SJ

I'm worried that my b at AS level might make me less of a competitive candidate - should I still apply?

Well according to OP's open day notes, you're rank using your best 9 GCSE's OR AS results whichever is better. Seeing as your best 9 GCSE's are A*'s you'll probably be fine in that sense :smile: assuming those 9 include maths, English language and the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Hi

GSCE 10 x A* and 2 x A* SHORT COURSE
AS AAAB
A2 predicted AAA or A*AA
UKCAT VR 470 :angry:QR 630 AR 740 DA 900 :colondollar: SJT 2 AV 685

so long as WE and EC and PS are ok/good will the UKCAT be enough to get me into Leeds?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending