The Student Room Group

Not paying for her cinema ticket

Out with my girl, she asked me to pay for her ticket, I was like "no, this is my money, you pay for it". She then went into a fit, telling me how her friends BF pay for them. So I was like:

"that is is them, this is me."

She ended up paying for it, and got moody. A few days later, she dumped me.

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Move on. If she has a hissy fit because you won't pay for everything for her then you're better off without.
Reply 2
Original post by tibbles209
Move on. If she has a hissy fit because you won't pay for everything for her then you're better off without.

Was I wrong for not paying for her at all?
Original post by Anonymous
Was I wrong for not paying for her at all?

No. It is a nice gesture to occasionally treat your boyfriend or girlfriend, but it should not be an expectation.
Reply 4
Move on. You're better off without someone draining your finances. Sure it's nice to pay for it every so often but if they expect you to do it every time then that is just unfair on you.
Reply 5
Original post by tibbles209
No. It is a nice gesture to occasionally treat your boyfriend or girlfriend, but it should not be an expectation.

Unless she is my mum, I don't generally like spending money on somebody.
Reply 6
No, I don't think you were wrong for suggesting that she needs to pay for herself but I think the manner in which you said was a little bit rude.

She is actually your girlfriend, not some girl who's turned up to a first date expecting a free movie and snacks. Whilst I agree that she was wrong to have the expectation but perhaps when you asked her to go to the cinemas she thought you were treating her? It is nice to treat your other half occasionally, equally, it's nice to be treated too.
Reply 7
Original post by H0ls
No, I don't think you were wrong for suggesting that she needs to pay for herself but I think the manner in which you said was a little bit rude.

She is actually your girlfriend, not some girl who's turned up to a first date expecting a free movie and snacks. Whilst I agree that she was wrong to have the expectation but perhaps when you asked her to go to the cinemas she thought you were treating her? It is nice to treat your other half occasionally, equally, it's nice to be treated too.

I guess so.

But at the end of the day, girls come and go. She was no exception.

She should be happy to be spending time with me.
It depends on the situation. I'm in a relationship where my older boyfriend hardly pays for anything for me. I completely appreciate it when he does though. If you had the money and she asked, I would have thought you would have happily paid for her, considering you are her boyfriend and it's a lovely gesture to pay for your other half from time to time. Maybe you should have gone half and half on sweets and tickets?
Reply 9
You weren't in the wrong but I don't blame her for dumping you either. First date is first impressions. But she wasn't exactly gf material.
Reply 10
Original post by NatalieRamsden
It depends on the situation. I'm in a relationship where my older boyfriend hardly pays for anything for me. I completely appreciate it when he does though. If you had the money and she asked, I would have thought you would have happily paid for her, considering you are her boyfriend and it's a lovely gesture to pay for your other half from time to time. Maybe you should have gone half and half on sweets and tickets?

I'd rather pocket the money or spend it on myself.

Dont want to spend it on someone that may not be around long term. Better off giving it to charity.
Chivalry is just positive sexism, by not paying you are helping to advance women's rights.

FIGHT THE POWAH
Reply 12
Original post by michaelhaych
Chivalry is just positive sexism, by not paying you are helping to advance women's rights.

FIGHT THE POWAH

That's a point. Why couldnt she pay for me?
I guess so.

But at the end of the day, girls come and go. She was no exception.

She should be happy to be spending time with me.

#lad
I'd rather pocket the money or spend it on myself.

Dont want to spend it on someone that may not be around long term. Better off giving it to charity.

I totally disagree with you there. When you enter a relationship, you should only consider getting a girlfriend if you plan to be with her for as long as possible. There is no such thing as a temporary girlfriend! I find that to be rather selfish. My boyfriend took me out for a meal the day after getting together! Why waste your time with someone if you're unsure if it will last?
Reply 15
Original post by NatalieRamsden
I totally disagree with you there. When you enter a relationship, you should only consider getting a girlfriend if you plan to be with her for as long as possible. There is no such thing as a temporary girlfriend! I find that to be rather selfish. My boyfriend took me out for a meal the day after getting together! Why waste your time with someone if you're unsure if it will last?

people get together and break up all the time.

As I said, she should just be happy that she is spending time with an awesome guy like me.
That was pretty rude for her to expect you to pay when you hadn't even offered. However you should have paid if you were the one that asked her out on the cinema date. If I asked a guy out to the cinema I would at least try and pay for both tickets.

Although if you go out together a lot then I think it's fair to take turns paying or just pay for your own.
Reply 17
Original post by therisenmitten
That was pretty rude for her to expect you to pay when you hadn't even offered. However you should have paid if you were the one that asked her out on the cinema date. If I asked a guy out to the cinema I would at least try and pay for both tickets.

Although if you go out together a lot then I think it's fair to take turns paying or just pay for your own.

The way I see it.

Time is money.

I could have spent that time hanging out with my mates.

So - she should go dutch.
people get together and break up all the time.

As I said, she should just be happy that she is spending time with an awesome guy like me.

You have turned from someone who thinks people should pay their fair share, a fair suggestion to an egotistical little troll. You not paying her ticket doesn't sound like the only reason she broke up with you.
Reply 19
Original post by themedicalgeek
You have turned from someone who thinks people should pay their fair share, a fair suggestion to an egotistical little troll. You not paying her ticket doesn't sound like the only reason she broke up with you.

what are the other reasons?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending