The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by winniestar57
Mine is too. Is it Newcastle?

No, Reading.
Original post by Dilzz
No, Reading.

Good luck! Can I ask, what are you going to wear?
Reply 62
Original post by winniestar57
Good luck! Can I ask, what are you going to wear?

Thanks, you too! ..Not sure myself, tbh lol
Reply 63
I have my AC in two weeks at nottingham and I am wondering what the group exercise is like and what you actually have to do in it? I'm stressing out on what I need to prepare aha!
Original post by Jess_1324
I applied to the Nottingham one and got sent a form to fill in but got an e-mail today saying I was unsuccessful but they gave me an offer for an accounting course, just not the degree programme. So still a happy ending!
I have applied to the KPMG on and waiting for the 1st round interview (think everyone gets a 1st round interview)

How is your application going?

I got the same from Nottingham but asked to be considered for Financial Mathematics and got an offer for that :smile: also got into the PwC Flying Start course at Newcastle Uni and got into KPMG School Leavers at Birmingham Uni/Nottingham office :smile: definitely not everyone gets a first round interview, well done for getting that far! If anyone has any questions about applying for either course just ask :smile:
Original post by KForshaw
They just rung me about an hour ago and told me that I have been given an offer for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I was at the same AC as you! I also got an offer :smile: do you know if anyone else did?
Reply 66
Original post by Doz123
I have my AC in two weeks at nottingham and I am wondering what the group exercise is like and what you actually have to do in it? I'm stressing out on what I need to prepare aha!

I have this too. The University of Nottingham right?
I am so so so nervous!
Reply 67
Original post by sunitab
I have this too. The University of Nottingham right?
I am so so so nervous!

Yes, mines on the 21st and I have no grasp of what it will be like. I'm stressing out on the most stupid things like what to wear!:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 68
Original post by Doz123
Yes, mines on the 21st and I have no grasp of what it will be like. I'm stressing out on the most stupid things like what to wear!:confused::confused::confused:

Hey, out of interest do you think the questions asked in the interview will be the same for both Reading and Nottingham?
Reply 69
Original post by Dilzz
Oh ok thanks :smile: ..Did they ask any questions in relation to your Personal Statement and what where the other common themes that frequently came up? ..Oh I applied to reading and it requires you to take a psychometric test (Numerical only)

I didn't get asked anything off my PS no, but i think a few of the other people on my day did. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know it back to back you will be fine. The key thing is teamwork and having examples of where you have worked in a team to talk about. That seems like the key theme they talk about and want you to tell them your experience of.

Ahhh okay. Dont underestimate the test. I have taken them in the past for EY and KPMG and they can be tough but if you prepare they are fine. KPMG's are the hardest, and i completely failed it (i applied for their school leavers course), but EY's was ok but it was in with a diagrammatical reasoning test that i messed up. Know how to do the things such as ratios, percentages increase and degrease, things like that and you will be fine. Its basic maths, you just have to apply it to simple graphs usually.
Reply 70
Original post by Doz123

We were in a small group of 6 in a small room. You get given a case study, (for us it was a Palm Oil company) and don't need any outside knowledge you just use whats given to you. Then we were given 20 minutes to prepare individually which wasn't too bad. We basically each had our own document that had a certain method of making the company more environmentally friendly. So you sit there in silence and basically jot down the important points from the document onto a sheet of paper so that you can present your case when the twenty minutes is up. Go round the table methodically, one person presenting a case at a time, and take notes of other peoples. Then you can either discuss the pro's and con's in-between each one or do it at the end but BE SURE to keep track of time, its tight.

Key thing is teamwork, if there are flaws in what you are supposed to present, i.e. the method is expensive or time consuming, then say that and openly admit it. You're not expected to fight your corner, just have to come to a group conclusion. Get everyone involved, stay focused and chip in.

Don't speak too much, but not too little :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Doz123

Guys all wore suits, the girls all just dressed smartly in shirts tucked into skirts with blazers over the top etc. Just look presentable and fairly formal :smile:
Reply 72
I didn't get asked anything off my PS no, but i think a few of the other people on my day did. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know it back to back you will be fine. The key thing is teamwork and having examples of where you have worked in a team to talk about. That seems like the key theme they talk about and want you to tell them your experience of.

Ahhh okay. Dont underestimate the test. I have taken them in the past for EY and KPMG and they can be tough but if you prepare they are fine. KPMG's are the hardest, and i completely failed it (i applied for their school leavers course), but EY's was ok but it was in with a diagrammatical reasoning test that i messed up. Know how to do the things such as ratios, percentages increase and degrease, things like that and you will be fine. Its basic maths, you just have to apply it to simple graphs usually.

Ahh okay. Did they ask you any questions in terms of what was on the supplementary application form? And, do you think the questions asked in the interview will be along the same lines for both Reading and Nottingham ... because you applied at Nottingham right?

Also, what normally is the pass mark for the numerical reasoning tests..and how many questions are there exactly/time limit you have to do them within? Atm I'm practicing the SHL ones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Doz123

I know how you feel!! Ah yeah me too, mine's on the 21st. Where are you from?

I'm just going to wear either a smart shirt tucked into a smart skirt with a blazer or a formal black dress.

Anyway.. forget the dress code!!

From what I've heard about the assessment day:
Alot of the interview is example led, so it's a good idea to prepare ourselves with potential questions and answers.
The group exercise - participate, not too much - not too little.
& I haven't heard much with regards to the numerical and verbal reasoning tests!

Preparation and confidence is key I suppose! Quite nervous still!!
Reply 74
Original post by Dilzz
Ahh okay. Did they ask you any questions in terms of what was on the supplementary application form? And, do you think the questions asked in the interview will be along the same lines for both Reading and Nottingham ... because you applied at Nottingham right?

Also, what normally is the pass mark for the numerical reasoning tests..and how many questions are there exactly/time limit you have to do them within? Atm I'm practicing the SHL ones.

Not that I can remember but I think a few points were sort of repeated. Liked they asked me what audit was and what i could expect to do on placement (which was on the supplementary application form in a form) and also asked me if i have read any interesting articles (so I used the same one that I referred to in my ideal client question on the form). So nothing really testing you on it from my experience.

And I applied for newcastle but the general advice I am giving is the same for everyone I think. Because its the same company and practically the same course (i think there are only a very few minor differences, if any), then the recruitment process should be the same if not very similar. However its obviously going to be the case that each interviewer is different and may slightly vary their approach (there were about 6 alone at my AC day just for about 12 of us).

As for the pass mark it really depends on the test. I have no experience with PwC ones because Newcastle doesn't require one. But generally i know that if it is a very hard test, they drastically reduce the pass mark. KPMG's is extremely low because its so hard. PwC isn't anything as bad as theirs though so it will be a little higher. Time is usually quite pressed, i think you will be looking at around 60 seconds for each question, maybe 45. My ernst and young one had 3 sections (numerical, verbal etc) and then in each section there were two lots of 4 questions, each of which you had to do in 3 minutes. So 18 minutes for 24 questions. But they were fairly easy so didn't take long to complete each one.

Hope this helps.
Reply 75
Not that I can remember but I think a few points were sort of repeated. Liked they asked me what audit was and what i could expect to do on placement (which was on the supplementary application form in a form) and also asked me if i have read any interesting articles (so I used the same one that I referred to in my ideal client question on the form). So nothing really testing you on it from my experience.

And I applied for newcastle but the general advice I am giving is the same for everyone I think. Because its the same company and practically the same course (i think there are only a very few minor differences, if any), then the recruitment process should be the same if not very similar. However its obviously going to be the case that each interviewer is different and may slightly vary their approach (there were about 6 alone at my AC day just for about 12 of us).

As for the pass mark it really depends on the test. I have no experience with PwC ones because Newcastle doesn't require one. But generally i know that if it is a very hard test, they drastically reduce the pass mark. KPMG's is extremely low because its so hard. PwC isn't anything as bad as theirs though so it will be a little higher. Time is usually quite pressed, i think you will be looking at around 60 seconds for each question, maybe 45. My ernst and young one had 3 sections (numerical, verbal etc) and then in each section there were two lots of 4 questions, each of which you had to do in 3 minutes. So 18 minutes for 24 questions. But they were fairly easy so didn't take long to complete each one.

Hope this helps.

Ahh I see. Yeah this is really helpful thanks..just worried that's all. The questions on Readings supplementary application are different eg one asked for greatest acheivement, one for greatest challenge etc. Out of interest, was your interview conducted by PwC or a staff member from reading?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Ahhh okay that sounds good then. Just to clarify, what do LTT LMT BCM and IIM stand for specifically?

Thanks again!

LTT- London Top Tier- Audits FTSE100 companies
LMT- London Mid Tier- Audits FTSE250 companies
BCM- Banking and capital market- deals with large investment firms (some shared with IIM) banks, building societies etc
IIM- Investment and Insurance markets

Hope that helps (sorry so used to acroymns now)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the specific types of questions that come up in the individual interview ? Also I'm assuming it's suits for guys ? Thanks
Reply 78
Original post by Dilzz
Ahh I see. Yeah this is really helpful thanks..just worried that's all. The questions on Readings supplementary application are different eg one asked for greatest acheivement, one for greatest challenge etc. Out of interest, was your interview conducted by PwC or a staff member from reading?

Yeah i think the supplementary application forms are slightly different but they are fairly similar in terms of the types of questions they ask so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

And mine was from a member of staff who was kind of the director of the programme for the university, but some of the other people at my AC were interviewed by PwC staff so it varied. It just depends who you get put with, but I don't think it will have too much impact on the types of questions they will ask (don't hold me to that haha) :smile:
Reply 79
I've got an email along with the questionnaire (round one) and I'm finding it very difficult to answer at all, whilst i've worked with people in a few projects and so forth, I don't really have any idea what sort of challenges would be appropriate for the question (name a situation and then below how you solved it). If it's cheating to ask for examples then don't, but could anybody drop me a few pointers for them
(this is for Nottingham)
Thank you ^_^

Latest

Trending

Trending