The Student Room Group

GCSE Summer Exams 2014

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Wow so many exams, how and when are you gonna start revising for them?
Reply 21
I did that but i'm making new ones again now.
I started revision like in september because we do mock exams in november and also we will do them in march.
This makes us prepared for our exams so its no stress when you're preparing way before the real ones.
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido

Spoiler

I've started revising for most of my subjects now!
I've made revision cards for each of the topics in the 3 Sciences, PE and Geography. I'm also practicing things I struggle in, in Maths with a friend who studies Maths at Uni or going to school sessions.
Then nearer the exams I'm probably going to do lots of past papers for nearly all the subjects and see where I went wrong and act on it :smile:
I try to make sure I don't cram too much revision in exam season by spreading it around the year as cramming the day before doesn't work for me :biggrin:
Original post by kdizzle97
I've started revising for most of my subjects now!
I've made revision cards for each of the topics in the 3 Sciences, PE and Geography. I'm also practicing things I struggle in, in Maths with a friend who studies Maths at Uni or going to school sessions.
Then nearer the exams I'm probably going to do lots of past papers for nearly all the subjects and see where I went wrong and act on it :smile:
I try to make sure I don't cram too much revision in exam season by spreading it around the year as cramming the day before doesn't work for me :biggrin:

Nice, good methods, so how many hours are you getting in? Or do you prefer to set targets of what content to learn? Also what grades are you aiming for?

Original post by AlphaNick
I started making notes in Year 9-11 and I will return to them very shortly and start memorising them again.

Cool, any other methods you are going to use?
Original post by Hibzish
I did that but i'm making new ones again now.
I started revision like in september because we do mock exams in november and also we will do them in march.
This makes us prepared for our exams so its no stress when you're preparing way before the real ones.

So what are you focusing on currently?
Reply 25
Hi, I completed Triple Science, Geography and IT in year 9 and 10. I had 12 exams in year 10 (last year) and this year I have...

2 Maths
1 Science (Human health and physiology)
1 English language
1 English literature (unsure on this to be honest)
2 Religious studies
2 History
1 Physical Education

So I have... 10 exams, it's a lot lower than some of those who have posted on this thread. Good luck everyone!
Reply 26
I'm in Year 11, my school doesn't believe in modular GCSEs OR taking them early so we do fewer GCSEs all at the end...
anyway I have

2 Biology
2 English Lit
1 IGCSE English lang
4 Latin
1 textiles (10 hours over 2 days)
2 French
1 Drama
2 Maths

Edit: So thats 15 exams, Way less than most people :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
So what are you focusing on currently?

My science subjects because we just started the last unit so im making notes and revising at the same pace. I wanna do these in A level too!
However Geography is LOOONG I have a whole stack of revision cards and we haven't even finished the second unit and theres still a third one left. Too much information to remember, Even the smartest people in my year were only able to get a B in their mocks. Geography is no joke.
Original post by Hibzish
My science subjects because we just started the last unit so im making notes and revising at the same pace. I wanna do these in A level too!
However Geography is LOOONG I have a whole stack of revision cards and we haven't even finished the second unit and theres still a third one left. Too much information to remember, Even the smartest people in my year were only able to get a B in their mocks. Geography is no joke.

Nice, I don't think Science'll be too hard for me, I'm generally getting 90% in my mocks, so strong A*s, and that's with a 60/75 A* grade boundary, where as the actual ones are 46-50/75 for an A*.

Yep, I'm doing Geography now, still got Rivers and Coasts and Population to go, just finished the coursework, went over the word limit, but it was hard not to, and I think I;m fairly confident, but the fact that this year the resource booklet won't be released early, means that it'll be impossible to predict the questions.
Original post by Ben44
Hi, I completed Triple Science, Geography and IT in year 9 and 10. I had 12 exams in year 10 (last year) and this year I have...

2 Maths
1 Science (Human health and physiology)
1 English language
1 English literature (unsure on this to be honest)
2 Religious studies
2 History
1 Physical Education

So I'm assuming your doing 7 GCSEs?

So I have... 10 exams, it's a lot lower than some of those who have posted on this thread. Good luck everyone!

So I'm assuming your doing 7 GCSEs?

Spoiler

I use revision cards and I will probably start soon, because I have mocks in February, so I can get a good start on revision!
Original post by CreatorGal14
I use revision cards and I will probably start soon, because I have mocks in February, so I can get a good start on revision!

Nice, what grades are you aiming for?
Nice, what grades are you aiming for?

I'm aiming for A's and A* but I think, I'll get a B in English and History... I have a terrible memory for History!! What about you? Do you want to stay on to sixth form?
Original post by CreatorGal14
I'm aiming for A's and A* but I think, I'll get a B in English and History... I have a terrible memory for History!! What about you? Do you want to stay on to sixth form?

Well I'm aiming for majority A*s and some As, but I think for English Ill get a B, because I'm rubbish at writing.
I hope to go to sixth form, but to a different one from my school's, it's a grammar sixth form, but it's pretty new.
Well I'm aiming for majority A*s and some As, but I think for English Ill get a B, because I'm rubbish at writing.
I hope to go to sixth form, but to a different one from my school's, it's a grammar sixth form, but it's pretty new.

I'm mostly A's with one or two A* and two B's. I want to stay at my school, simply because I actually love my school! I think most of my friends are staying on too, which will be awesome :biggrin: Grammar school sound pretty cool! Is it a boarding school type thing? (I have no idea about these things, my dad went to a grammar boarding school..)

Spoiler

I was thinking of starting revision roundabout now or perhaps at the start of February. I already have some notes from my mocks and the internal exams I have, but I normally makes new ones anyway :smile: I'm probably going to spend about a week on each subject depending on how much there is to revise for each subject.

How about you?
Nice, good methods, so how many hours are you getting in? Or do you prefer to set targets of what content to learn? Also what grades are you aiming for?

I prefer to set targets so I'd aim to complete a topic in a set amount of time. I'm predicted 7 A*s and 5 As :biggrin:
Reply 37
Hmm

9 Science
2 Maths
2 English
2 Geography
2 French

17 exams in total, not too bad I guess :tongue:
Original post by Magnesium
I was thinking of starting revision roundabout now or perhaps at the start of February. I already have some notes from my mocks and the internal exams I have, but I normally makes new ones anyway :smile: I'm probably going to spend about a week on each subject depending on how much there is to revise for each subject.

How about you?

Yeh I'm gonna start revising at Feb half term, I'll making notes out of the revision guide, then learning them, and I've constructed a revision timetable.

Original post by kdizzle97
I prefer to set targets so I'd aim to complete a topic in a set amount of time. I'm predicted 7 A*s and 5 As :biggrin:

Nice, I've assigned two points on the spec for me to learn in an hour or less, good set of grades, there, what do you want to study at a-leve?

Original post by AlphaNick
Not really, everything I need to know is on those sheets. I may do some more past papers and stuff but honestly I just need to initiate it and get going. I could probably sit all exams which I've got the notes for and do well, we just haven't finished all the content.

Good luck on your exams
Yeh I'm gonna start revising at Feb half term, I'll making notes out of the revision guide, then learning them, and I've constructed a revision timetable.

Nice, I've assigned two points on the spec for me to learn in an hour or less, good set of grades, there, what do you want to study at a-leve?

Good luck on your exams

Good luck with yours too!

Seems to be a bit surreal with the exam being so soon :P

Quick Reply

Latest