The Student Room Group

What do I need to do to get in to Oxford?

I am currently in my AS year studying English Lang, Maths, Biology and Psychology. I have 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and I am planning to apply to Oxford to study Human Sciences. I want to give myself the best possible chance of getting an offer from them so should I be doing anything now that I could put on my application when the time comes? For example, some kind of internship or work experience? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

From what I've heard you need A's at As. Have you checked out the particular entry requirements of your course?
Original post by kathy4
I am currently in my AS year studying English Lang, Maths, Biology and Psychology. I have 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and I am planning to apply to Oxford to study Human Sciences. I want to give myself the best possible chance of getting an offer from them so should I be doing anything now that I could put on my application when the time comes? For example, some kind of internship or work experience? Thanks!

I don't know much about human sciences, but I did work experience for my course and it was never brought up in interview, so I don't think they cared.

The most important thing is making sure you get great AS results. You can do all the work experience you want, but if you end up with something other than AAAA/AAAB then your chances will be slim.
Reply 3
Original post by anonymouspie227
From what I've heard you need A's at As. Have you checked out the particular entry requirements of your course?

Yep, they want AAA, specifically Maths & Biology. I was just not sure whether just good A level results were enough :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CJG21
I don't know much about human sciences, but I did work experience for my course and it was never brought up in interview, so I don't think they cared.

The most important thing is making sure you get great AS results. You can do all the work experience you want, but if you end up with something other than AAAA/AAAB then your chances will be slim.

Okay, I'll work hard and keep that in mind then. Thanks!
Reply 5
Well they do like people who can write in proper English, I believe - it's into, not "in to". :tongue: Your GCSEs are fantastic but don't forget, since it's Oxford, you'll be competing against people who got more A* grades than you. So, make sure you get all A grades at your AS levels and pick appropriate A-levels for the course you want to do. Obviously you'll need exceptional predictions/ grades at A-level so make sure you work extremely hard! Also, completing summers schools, getting some work experience and doing related extra-curricular activities always helps. Don't forget though, there are plenty of other amazing universities other than Oxbridge; like Edinburgh, UCL, Newcastle, Durham, etc. so maybe think about some other universities too and widen your horizons a bit. Good luck with everything! :smile:
Reply 6
I’d suggest lots of wider reading to develop specific interests within the field you want to apply for. You can then mention some interesting things in your personal statement which might give you an opportunity to shine at your interview. Something like human sciences requires intellectual flexibility, so it would probably be good to find some ways to develop and demonstrate it in your personal statement.
Reply 7
Original post by Dylankj96
Well they do like people who can write in proper English, I believe - it's into, not "in to". :tongue: Your GCSEs are fantastic but don't forget, since it's Oxford, you'll be competing against people who got more A* grades than you. So, make sure you get all A grades at your AS levels and pick appropriate A-levels for the course you want to do. Obviously you'll need exceptional predictions/ grades at A-level so make sure you work extremely hard! Also, completing summers schools, getting some work experience and doing related extra-curricular activities always helps. Don't forget though, there are plenty of other amazing universities other than Oxbridge; like Edinburgh, UCL, Newcastle, Durham, etc. so maybe think about some other universities too and widen your horizons a bit. Good luck with everything! :smile:

Yes, I am aware - autocorrect. Thanks for the help, though :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mr A Smith
I’d suggest lots of wider reading to develop specific interests within the field you want to apply for. You can then mention some interesting things in your personal statement which might give you an opportunity to shine at your interview. Something like human sciences requires intellectual flexibility, so it would probably be good to find some ways to develop and demonstrate it in your personal statement.

Good idea! :smile:

proper English - you mean the current standard English. A language is a communication tool- and so long as you can understand what is being said- then what's the problem?
And then there's the whole issue of how English has and is continuing to change through technology "Apple" "Google" "Friending" etc and immigration, and how the English we use today is made up from those factors anyway!
Lol. :tongue:
A/A*s

or alternatively,

How much do your parents earn?
You need good grades and enthusiasm for learning. I don't think anything else is required. As far as I know, extracurriculars are pretty much ignored unless they are to do with the subject you are interested in.
Reply 12
Learn to love the subject, not Oxford. Then Oxford will love you
Reply 13
Original post by Are you Shaw?
A/A*s

or alternatively,

How much do your parents earn?

Not as much as I'd like!

:wink:
Reply 14
proper English - you mean the current standard English. A language is a communication tool- and so long as you can understand what is being said- then what's the problem?
And then there's the whole issue of how English has and is continuing to change through technology "Apple" "Google" "Friending" etc and immigration, and how the English we use today is made up from those factors anyway!

Good point :smile:

Of course language is developing, as it always has and is, but if you're hoping to go to Oxford then yeah, it does matter that you can use proper, or rather standard English. By that logic, I could hand an essay in with text-speak and all sorts of "mistakes" and it should be fine because my teacher knows what I'm saying.
Oxford care about nothing non-academic. So don't waste time trying to do extra-curricular stuff to flesh out a personal statement.

Try to do the best you can academically, that's it really.
Reply 17
Of course language is developing, as it always has and is, but if you're hoping to go to Oxford then yeah, it does matter that you can use proper, or rather standard English. By that logic, I could hand an essay in with text-speak and all sorts of "mistakes" and it should be fine because my teacher knows what I'm saying.

I agree with what you're saying of course, but this is an internet forum, and I typed this very quickly and didn't bother checking it. I would obviously proof read an Oxford application :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Oxford care about nothing non-academic. So don't waste time trying to do extra-curricular stuff to flesh out a personal statement.

Try to do the best you can academically, that's it really.

That's much better than having to worry about extra-curriculars - Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by kathy4

Don't worry about work experience.

Work hard to get all As (preferably high As, which makes your life easier at A2). If you get 90%+ each of your subjects, you should get 4A* predictions. Then after your summer exams work hard to prepare for your entrance exams and interview.

Quick Reply

Latest