The Student Room Group

EPQ: Whether or not?

I am considering doing the EPQ at my college, but would like to know more about it. Is it hard to complete? Or is it something that requires no worrying?

Thanks for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kcorbins
I am considering doing the EPQ at my college, but would like to know more about it. Is it hard to complete? Or is it something that requires no worrying?

Thanks for your help.

Start early! And I mean VERY, VERY, VERY EARLY! Manage your time and you don't have anything to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I am almost definitely going to do that. I will not have a relaxing summer holiday like everyone else but hopefully I get rewarded with a decent grade. Did you find it hard to carry out? Or was it just extra research on the side which wasn't a bother? People have been saying that it's really hard, but I don't get how?
I am almost definitely going to do that. I will not have a relaxing summer holiday like everyone else but hopefully I get rewarded with a decent grade. Did you find it hard to carry out? Or was it just extra research on the side which wasn't a bother? People have been saying that it's really hard, but I don't get how?

It's "really hard" in the sense that if you want a top grade, you have to put a lot of work in. That's what I can say from experience.

Thanks for your help.

I would discourage you - HOWEVER, it can be good for uni applications etc.

The reason I would discourage it, is the shear work that it requires which may hinder your other subjects. But, if managed properly, it is do-able. So it's up to you and your existing work load :smile:
Reply 5
I think I heard somewhere that it takes 6 months to complete. Is that true? If it was I would be able to concentrate on my other subjects.
Reply 6

I wouldn't say it was hard in anyway, but it requires a lot of work. You are starting with a topic that you know very little about and by the end of the project you are expected to be an 'expert'. And for top marks remember that your essay and log book will not be enough to get you that A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I did the EPQ and so did my best friend - I found it rather fun to complete, as I chose a subject I love dearly and was willing to research in my own time. My friend chose a subject she vaguely liked and hated it - and as a result, her project was rushed. So I would only do it if you chose a subject you were certain you loved :smile: I worked on it over the summer holidays and wrote a 4500 essay in the September, with a presentation in October.
Reply 8
Original post by Osu
I did the EPQ and so did my best friend - I found it rather fun to complete, as I chose a subject I love dearly and was willing to research in my own time. My friend chose a subject she vaguely liked and hated it - and as a result, her project was rushed. So I would only do it if you chose a subject you were certain you loved :smile: I worked on it over the summer holidays and wrote a 4500 essay in the September, with a presentation in October.

So were you done by October then? And also, I thought it had to be 6000 words.
Reply 9
So were you done by October then? And also, I thought it had to be 6000 words.

I was told 5000 haha, mine included a lot of diagrams (it was about the changing geography of an area) and I guess the concept of a picture = 1000 words may have applied :biggrin: jokes aside, as long as you cover your topic in enough depth, then anything over 4000 was deemed acceptable by my teacher :smile: I know she stressed the importance of the presentation you have to give after the essay, and I think this is the part many people have failed at in my sixth form.
Reply 10
Original post by Osu
I was told 5000 haha, mine included a lot of diagrams (it was about the changing geography of an area) and I guess the concept of a picture = 1000 words may have applied :biggrin: jokes aside, as long as you cover your topic in enough depth, then anything over 4000 was deemed acceptable by my teacher :smile: I know she stressed the importance of the presentation you have to give after the essay, and I think this is the part many people have failed at in my sixth form.

So did you finish by October then? How long are you allowed to take?
Reply 11
So did you finish by October then? How long are you allowed to take?

I finished in early October. I was doing bits of research from the start of year 12 up until July, when I started writing the essay. I then showed the first draft to my teacher the first week in September and kept editing it until the end of September.
Reply 12
Original post by Osu
I finished in early October. I was doing bits of research from the start of year 12 up until July, when I started writing the essay. I then showed the first draft to my teacher the first week in September and kept editing it until the end of September.

Oh, ok, nice. What grade did you get? And how long do you have to finish it completely?
I was doing it but then I dropped it. I lacked motivation (log diaries- ain't nobody got time for that) and didn't want it to take time off my main subjects, plus I'm not the biggest fan of essays.

Advantages? It looks good when applying to university. In my school it's finished around April, so time for revision.
I just gave my presentation today!
It has been quite stressful for me and only my exam results will tell if I've managed it but I think I have.
However I must say I'm glad it's over, but I'm equally glad i stuck to it when so many people dropped out, mine was a 'fun' project in which I created an artefact, a lot of people went for every academic projects.
I feel my report and presentation is really good, over this month I'll just be trying to perfect my logbook,
I'll be happy with a B,
Bear in my mind this is part of my Bacc, so that was added pressure (which isn't complete yet, but is getting there)

I'd recommend it,
if you start to struggle, then drop it, no big deal,

good luck
I'm currently finishing it off. As great as it is for interviews/personal statement, once you've got offers, it can become more a hindrance to revision and becomes relatively worthless when compared to your other A-Levels (or equivalent)

Edit: What subjects are you planning on doing? And what do you want to do at Uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
I just gave my presentation today!
It has been quite stressful for me and only my exam results will tell if I've managed it but I think I have.
However I must say I'm glad it's over, but I'm equally glad i stuck to it when so many people dropped out, mine was a 'fun' project in which I created an artefact, a lot of people went for every academic projects.
I feel my report and presentation is really good, over this month I'll just be trying to perfect my logbook,
I'll be happy with a B,
Bear in my mind this is part of my Bacc, so that was added pressure (which isn't complete yet, but is getting there)

I'd recommend it,
if you start to struggle, then drop it, no big deal,

good luck

Cheers mate, and good luck in yours, hope you get a good grade
Reply 17
Original post by JammyGit07
I'm currently finishing it off. As great as it is for interviews/personal statement, once you've got offers, it can become more a hindrance to revision and becomes relatively worthless when compared to your other A-Levels (or equivalent)

Edit: What subjects are you planning on doing? And what do you want to do at Uni?

I'm an AS-level student at the moment thinking of doing the EPQ next year so that I can revise well for the final exams in my other subjects. And I am thinking of doing civil engineering at university.
Reply 18
Oh, ok, nice. What grade did you get? And how long do you have to finish it completely?

I'm not sure what grade I have yet, but I know another girl in the year just gave hers in, so in my sixth form I guess we had until March to finish it :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Osu
I'm not sure what grade I have yet, but I know another girl in the year just gave hers in, so in my sixth form I guess we had until March to finish it :smile:

Yh, I heard in my college people hand it in during march

Quick Reply

Latest