The Student Room Group

In elementary school all meat options are replaced by halal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99

Congratulations on posting the most ridiculous post in the thread.

*clap* *clap*
Original post by mojojojo101
So you would want a school to cater to everyone's dietary likes and dislikes, or no ones... that's either going to be very expensive or you'll be left with some very hungry kids (and probably a lawsuit of some kind).

But isn't it discrimination to cater for muslim children by taking away pork from non-muslim children?
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's more to it than just not having pork or bacon at school. Some people have ethical objections to the method of slaughter (this isn't a matter of bigotry - even the British Veterinary Association says it's cruel on scientific grounds). Furthermore, some people have religious prohibitions on eating halal meat - for instance, Sikhs (and to a lesser extent Hindus) are forbidden from eating halal and kosher meat.

The remaining 80% should at least be given a choice as to whether or not to eat halal meat - either that or the minority can opt for the vegetarian option.

Thanks!!

I'd always thought that people who were anti-halal were being fussy :frown: but I hadn't considered these points :h:.
Only today I found out that the school I work at serves Halal meat as default in the meals on certain days.
Reply 104
Im actually disgusted by it, and they tried it back when I was in high school at my school but everyone complained. Why should we be forced into eating something we might not agree with? do we make the Muslims eat non-halal meat? those saying its not an issue are just plain wrong.
Reply 105
I wonder if I went to Pakistan to a school that happened to have 20% people that do not eat halal meat. would they make non-halal meat mandatory for everyone?

Surely the simple solution is to just offer both options? I mean it cant be that hard can it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by DZJX
I wonder if I went to Pakistan to a school that happened to have 20% people that do not eat halal meat. would they make non-halal meat mandatory for everyone?

Surely the simple solution is to just offer both options? I mean it cant be that hard can it?

Why compare us to Pakistan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could have been any Muslim country could it not?
Original post by Chlorophile
I really don't understand why people are making such a fuss. I agree that it does sound a little bit unreasonable but come on... if not having any pork at school is your biggest problem, I'd say you've got a pretty good life. It's not going to have any kind of an impact on anyone else and it will make the muslim children a bit more comfortable. I really don't think it's a huge deal.

Of course you could flip that around and say that if not having halal meat is your biggest problem at school, you've got a pretty good life. But then once again it's about pandering to this belligerent religious minority at the expense of everyone else - you don't see Hindu families demanding that beef be banned from their children's school dinner menus.
Original post by majmuh24
So what? Some kids have to live without pork or bacon at school. Is that really that much of a struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much of a struggle is it to live without halal meat?
Original post by Joaqueem
I agree there should be a choice, however, I don't see it being a problem unless you had a problem with the method of slaughter :dontknow:

Slitting an animal's throat and letting it writhe around in agony until it bleeds out, nah, can't see why anyone would have a problem with that.
Original post by De Mortimer
Let's be honest, it's not an issue at all really.

Then tell that to the Muslims who are making it one.
Original post by Ray Barone
How much of a struggle is it to live without halal meat?
It wouldn't be that hard, I would probably miss it but there are other options.Do you mean meat that has been slaughtered in a halal way or meat that is halal?
Original post by Rlove95
But schools do have to have a vegetarian option.
They are already catered for through the vegeratian option. It seems a bit impractical to have a seperate halal meat option when people who aren't muslim can still eat halal meat.

Newsflash - Muslims can still eat non halal meat as well, it won't cause them to vaporise on the spot. :rolleyes:
Original post by majmuh24
It wouldn't be that hard, I would probably miss it but there are other options.Do you mean meat that has been slaughtered in a halal way or meat that is halal?

Meat slaughtered using the halal method. The thing is there should be a choice of meat for both Muslims and non muslims, that's only fair. What champagne liberals(who tend to be white, middle class and distinctly atheist) can't comprehend is that removing the choice of the majority to favour one particular religion just breeds resentment between different communities, which seems counterproductive to their dream of an harmonius multicultural melting pot.
Original post by MujtabaBajwa
+lolling here at some of the super ridiculous posts, tsr has become a westernised version of a terrorist's training camp, people here vent and exercise their anger and disgust at Islam in the most violent and vicious manner.

Yes - a thread where people are slightly annoyed at a school needlessly pandering to a minority is exactly the same as a load of fanatics in the desert practicing how to destroy the infidel. Yeah:rolleyes:
the meat tastes the same, i don't see what the problem is tbh.
Original post by Ray Barone
Then tell that to the Muslims who are making it one.

I'm sure the muslims are perfectly capable of reading these posts.
Reply 118
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just picking a Muslim country, first one that came to mind..
Reply 119
Original post by Radicalathiest
It could have been any Muslim country could it not?

No, because the UK is a far more civilised and modern than any of them. Let's hold ourselves to higher standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending