The Student Room Group

Girls, would you be ok with a part-time working husband?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Huskaris
More women stay at home than men, I'm guessing OPs next question to you would be "would you be content working part-time while he works full time"

Having said that I admire your honesty. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't want some lazy husband.

The answer that question would also be no. I don't see why one should work half as hard as the other regardless of gender. It's only hypocritical of me if I'd be happy to work part-time, which I'm not.
Reply 21
Yeah I'd be fine with it as long as they are earning enough to contribute properly and would in the future then take on more of the childcare as I'd be working full time.
Reply 22
Original post by Viva Emptiness
The answer that question would also be no. I don't see why one should work half as hard as the other regardless of gender. It's only hypocritical of me if I'd be happy to work part-time, which I'm not.

I agree, I would resent working all day with some lazy ass back home riding off it.
Reply 23
Original post by RosyPearl
It's not an issue for me if he has a great personality and is the one, I would just wait for him until he's financially stabled and then I will marry him.

No it doesn't work like that. It says husband in the title , you're already married. And how gracious of you to wait for him to be financially stable then marry him.
Original post by jamieTT
But millennial women say that they are tired of gender roles and expectations.

Surely a part-time working husband is going against expectations? Traditional gender roles would be the man in full time work while the wife stays at home?
Reply 25
Original post by eelnais
Yeah I'd be fine with it as long as they are earning enough to contribute properly and would in the future then take on more of the childcare as I'd be working full time.

He makes enough to cover his side of expenses, that's it. No more, no less. Minimum. He's not playing part time for Atletico Madrid.
As long as we could afford things, yes, part time is fine by me. I think it's good if you both have a day off mid week anyway because it gives you more chance to do things as a couple :smile:.
Reply 27
Original post by jamieTT
He makes enough to cover his side of expenses, that's it. No more, no less. Minimum. He's not playing part time for Atletico Madrid.

I want to be with someone I can have a joint bank account with in the future - so "his side" of expenses wouldn't really exist. But in that case that changes my answer then - no, I wouldn't like that.
Reply 28
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
As long as we could afford things, yes, part time is fine by me. I think it's good if you both have a day off mid week anyway because it gives you more chance to do things as a couple :smile:.

Like I said several times , he makes enough to eat and pay his side of the bills/rent and that's it. No more, no less. You don't have to support him but you're not getting any of his money either.
Original post by MichaelYEAH
Surely a part-time working husband is going against expectations? Traditional gender roles would be the man in full time work while the wife stays at home?

You're not gonna get a sane response to that post :cookie:
Original post by Serendipitee
You're not gonna get a sane response to that post :cookie:

I feel like he ignores me </3 :cry:
Reply 31
Holly poll, looks like most girls are fine with it. I guess the future will have a lot more men working part time or even stay at home. Right? :s-smilie:
Original post by MichaelYEAH
I feel like he ignores me </3 :cry:

You need to post that drawing of you and him! :gah:
Reply 33
Ideally I think both working part time would be amazing, two people can definitely live off ~20 grand a year and then you get lots of time together :smile:
Original post by jamieTT
No it doesn't work like that. It says husband in the title , you're already married. And how gracious of you to wait for him to be financially stable then marry him.

What's wrong with waiting for him? If he's not financially secured then I won't marry him because he lacks the financial needs of supporting his wife and children when we have them, therefore I will wait for him until he's financially stabled.
Reply 35
Original post by jamieTT
Holly poll, looks like most girls are fine with it. I guess the future will have a lot more men working part time or even stay at home. Right? :s-smilie:

I think this will definitely increase in years to come but at the moment a lot of men would feel immasculated by being a sort of 'house husband'
Reply 36
My boyfriend is going to be doing this very soon (though he won't have enough money to cover his half of everything so will be using savings for a while/my money) and I'm ok with it.
I often think about being a part-time worker and stay-at-home-Dad if my salary allows.

Teaching my young protégé the ropes and doing loads of cool activities.
Original post by Serendipitee
You need to post that drawing of you and him! :gah:

Original post by Kazbian
My boyfriend is going to be doing this very soon (though he won't have enough money to cover his half of everything so will be using savings for a while/my money) and I'm ok with it.

Will that cause tension? Does he plan on having a full-time career at some point?

(Go benevolent members!)

Quick Reply

Latest