The Student Room Group

Why do people care what other people do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Made this after seeing a few comments in threads. Perticularly along the lines of stay at home mums are lazy (even when she's supporting herself/wealthy enough not to work and not on benefits), vegetarians are stupid (wow, I don't even), people who dress as goths are attention seekers (what are we, 12?), girls who don't shave are "gross"... and it got me thinking...why do people care what other people do if it doesn't affect them? As long as they're not involving me or hurting anyone, I don't give a toss what people want to do :lolwut:

I'm genuinely curious

I'm sure you've heard this before but..

Small minds discuss people.
Average minds discuss events.
Great minds discuss ideas.

I think this can be applied to innovative engineering companies, political parties, even individual families. For example parties who are always targeting a group of people (e.g BNP, UKIP) always have the worst solution to some of our issues. Where-as parties with genuine ideas are (imo) the best. :smile:

Although it's 2014, we are still evolving, and eventually (and hopefully) we will realise what we should, and shouldn't concentrate on.

Idk if I'm making sense, but hey, I tried.
Reply 21
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This is a really good argument. I wonder if that goes for a lot of things? They're threatened by someone who doesn't need to conform, and so they try to attack them to push those feelings onto them.

I think with stay at home mums it is also sometime jealousy, and also in part the fact that the media has conditioned people to see anyone that doesn't work as a scrounger.
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
I'm sure you've heard this before but..

Small minds discuss people.
Average minds discuss events.
Great minds discuss ideas.

I think this can be applied to innovative engineering companies, political parties, even individual families. For example parties who are always targeting a group of people (e.g BNP, UKIP) always have the worst solution to some of our issues. Where-as parties with genuine ideas are (imo) the best. :smile:

Although it's 2014, we are still evolving, and eventually (and hopefully) we will realise what we should, and shouldn't concentrate on.

Idk if I'm making sense, but hey, I tried.

This is a good argument
Original post by Jibola240
We inhabit many irrational behaviours, that being one of them, it's unlikely you're immune to it. If you think carefully, you have probably been guilty of it in the past at some point.

I will admit that at some points I probably have done it, but for the most part I don't whereas I can think of numerous examples of people who do very regularly. I have been guilty of being nasty to people before, but that doesn't mean I cannot find people who are constantly obnoxious as being out of order
Reply 24
Original post by redferry
I think I can speak for the vegetarianism one as a recent convert.

People feel the need to justify themselves by attacking vegetarians as they feel threatened by the fact vegetarians are 'strong enough' to take a very moral life choice which they themselves are unwilling to do. It threatens them as they feel like vegetarians see themselves as/are seen as morally superior.

They feel the need to justify their life choices in the face of that and for many people it means attacking that lifestyle.

I doubt it is that. I think the reason some people occasionally think vegetarians are stupid is because the arguments many vegetarians put forward for their choice are ill-informed and illogical.

The rate of vegetarianism amongst people who have grown up working with lifestock and have a good understanding of the nature of farming is extremely low - and for good reason.
Original post by redferry
I think with stay at home mums it is also sometime jealousy, and also in part the fact that the media has conditioned people to see anyone that doesn't work as a scrounger.

Yeah I agree. There seems to be this thing that you should work for the sake of it, and when I questioned the person, I got told "aww didums. Everyone else does. Deal with it" which just screams jealousy. You're not better than someone else because you prioritise different things
Reply 26
Original post by LekiPrzeciwzak
I wonder if you asked one of these people why they felt that way about X, what they would say, if they would even have a response?

I have actually done this on here a few times. Each time I didn't get any reply off them.

At OP: I find it very strange myself. Personally I don't care what others do as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.
Reply 27
Original post by cole-slaw
Are they? How?

People inhaling an excess amount of smoke in certain places can get damaged lungs

People who are associated with smokers may have to deal with their friends/family members addiction costing time, money and cause emotional strain

The NHS will have to pay for long term healthcare for people who have smoked too much and now have cancer which could've been avoided
Original post by gemmam
I have actually done this on here a few times. Each time I didn't get any reply off them.

That really doesn't surprise me :rolleyes:
Original post by PythianLegume
What's with this recent trend of people using the word debunked in inappropriate contexts?

Adding the word 'debunked' to the end of your post doesn't lend it anything.

Response: You haven't proven anything. Debunked.
Reply 30
They want to fit in with the crowd as much as possible. If they find something weird, not normal or what they would do/ wear then they want to know why the other person is doing it. And e.g. dressing like a goth is not the norm so they attack/question them so THEY can fit in with the norm.
This is standard human nature for a lot of people that can't think for themselves.
If they feel threatened by anything that they feel like is not the norm, they attack to simply fit in with the crowd.
You will see this everywhere especially in how people dress.
In my 6th form, almost every girl wears the same shoes, very similar clothing and jackets. And the ones that don't are separated from the "crowd".
Reply 31
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Response: You haven't proven anything. Debunked.

I don't think you know what that word means, do you.
Original post by james1211

It clearly means that everything the person you quoted said is wrong. :rolleyes:

Response: I do. Debunked.
Reply 34
Original post by Robbie242
People inhaling an excess amount of smoke in certain places can get damaged lungs

People who are associated with smokers may have to deal with their friends/family members addiction costing time, money and cause emotional strain

The NHS will have to pay for long term healthcare for people who have smoked too much and now have cancer which could've been avoided

1. Smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal. Unless you're sitting on the smoker's lap, it is impossible to be exposed to enough smoke in the outdoors to ever damage your lungs. The pollution from car fumes are 100x more significant.

2. Could be said of any hobby or interest. My missus would probably say the same thing about my "addiction" to playing sport. :biggrin:

3. More than covered by their excessive taxes, smokers are a significant net contributer to the exchequer even after factoring in health costs.
They don't. Bitching about other people like this feeds their egos and makes them feel superior because they're so insecure about themselves that they need to put others down to pick themselves up. It's human nature.

Either that or they're just being sarcastic and it's being taken too seriously.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37

You just got debunked. YEAH
Reply 38
I doubt it is that. I think the reason some people occasionally think vegetarians are stupid is because the arguments many vegetarians put forward for their choice are ill-informed and illogical.

The rate of vegetarianism amongst people who have grown up working with lifestock and have a good understanding of the nature of farming is extremely low - and for good reason.

It is genuinely that.

That's why I used to do it, that's why people I know that have spoken to about it do it. I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone but it is very common.

The rate of vegetarianism among people who work in the environment (do it for sustainability reasons) and in vets (welfare reasons) is very high. For equally good reasons.

Personally I'm a vegetarian for sustainability reasons and the only reason I have any respect for for not being a vegetarian is 'I don't care enough about the environment to give up meat'. I mean what is the point in attacking vegetarianism.
Reply 39
1. Smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal. Unless you're sitting on the smoker's lap, it is impossible to be exposed to enough smoke in the outdoors to ever damage your lungs. The pollution from car fumes are 100x more significant.

2. Could be said of any hobby or interest. My missus would probably say the same thing about my "addiction" to playing sport. :biggrin:

3. More than covered by their excessive taxes, smokers are a significant net contributer to the exchequer even after factoring in health costs.

Stop trying to justify smoking, it brings along several negative externalities which impact people in everyday society. Yeah well addiction to playing sport isn't as harmful and having lifelong cancer after smoking too much is it?

So what if its covered? We shouldn't have to deal with the cost in the first place. Well haven't you heard of those stories where parents are smoking around their children at home, which is highly irresponsible and could severely damage their children's lungs

Quick Reply

Latest