The Student Room Group

Ed Miliband would scrap Jobseeker's Allowance for 18-21 year olds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
Yeah except if you actually bother to join the labour party you can stop policies like this happening ?

If they know it will lose them votes they won't do it. Simple as that.
Much more effective to change a party as a supporter than not vote at all.

I think you are also underestimating the right wingness of lots of young people :/

You make a good point though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I think you are also underestimating the right wingness of lots of young people :/

Less right wing than old people though, or so YouGov polls say.
Original post by Amazing.
Genius idea! The thick people will starve!

Yes survival of the fittest
Original post by DErasmus
you'd have to be a complete halfwit with no work ethic.

20% of the country don't get 5 Cs.
Yeah except if you actually bother to join the labour party you can stop policies like this happening ?

If they know it will lose them votes they won't do it. Simple as that.
Much more effective to change a party as a supporter than not vote at all.

I'm not sure, because in principle you're absolutely right, but I'm a Labour Party member and I just feel spammed half the time and don't feel I'm being invited to suggest or comment on their policies..
Original post by Numberwang
I'm not sure, because in principle you're absolutely right, but I'm a Labour Party member and I just feel spammed half the time and don't feel I'm being invited to suggest or comment on their policies..

I've met Ed Miliband twice this year. Where's your nearest target seat? Get talking to the coordinator there.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've met Ed Miliband twice this year. Where's your nearest target seat? Get talking to the coordinator there.

I've shaken hands with Ed, and was promised to talk to him, but it didn't materialise. Brighton Pavilion.
Original post by Numberwang
I've shaken hands with Ed, and was promised to talk to him, but it didn't materialise. Brighton Pavilion.

If you speak to the people there you should have more opportunities to get involved with your local councillors and go to events etc. They were very good in Leeds which was a target but I've moved to Lewisham now which is really firm labour so we'll have to see.

Are you going to the party conference in September?
Original post by nexttime
20% of the country don't get 5 Cs.

then the educational system is failing 20% of the country, or they are failing themselves.
Original post by WinOrDie
Yes survival of the fittest

Although I am very,left wing if you dont get 5C grades you have got to be really, really thick. (Having said that if it includes GCSE english and maths i'm ****ed because I dont have a GCSE in maths :tongue:)
Original post by DErasmus
then the educational system is failing 20% of the country, or they are failing themselves.

A grade C is meant to be a marker - not accessible by all

When GCSE was designed the "average" student was meant to achieve a D and the qualification was deemed appropriate for the top 80%

If everyone could get 5Cs in En and a then we would need a higher bar
Although I am very,left wing if you dont get 5C grades you have got to be really, really thick. (Having said that if it includes GCSE english and maths i'm ****ed because I dont have a GCSE in maths :tongue:)

I only have 3 GCSEs but I still got into two of the best universities in the country. Am I really thick?

I might suggest you think about your politics, those of us on the Left tend not to dismiss people as stupid because of academic qualifications gained within a Capitalist education system...
i
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Read the full ****ing story.

They loose it only if they leave school with less than 5 GCSE's.

And if they are doing that......christ.

I barely scraped 5 due to some family issues at the time, yet I still like to think I'm moderately intelligent. My brother got 4 and he seems pretty successful. Don't generalise.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
I think that his plan for young people is correct.

Earlier on, he announced that he will put a further tax on bankers' bonuses to guarantee a job for every young person. Scrapping Jobseekers Allowance gives people less of an incentive to stay on benefits and get to work. On top of that, he'll strengthen the minimum wage by linking it to median earnings and give businesses incentives to pay a living wage. So, while this policy in isolation may seem somewhat harsh, I think Miliband's overall plan is quite sensible.
Original post by The Socktor
i

I barely scraped 5 due to some family issues at the time, yet I still like to think I'm moderately intelligent. My brother got 4 and he seems pretty successful. Don't generalise.

Ill generalise all I wan't thank you very much.

Generalisations are just that...general trends, they don't claim to be hard rules with no room for exceptions.

So don't tear up just because you and your brood happen to happy exceptions my friend.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Samual
I only have 3 GCSEs but I still got into two of the best universities in the country. Am I really thick?

NO.I am not trying to imply that. If you want to prove yourself by going to university later on in life, then by all means do that.
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
I might suggest you think about your politics, those of us on the Left tend not to dismiss people as stupid because of academic qualifications gained within a Capitalist education system...

I'm left wing because I'm voting Labour. (also because I ****ing hate the tories :colone:) Happy now?

Still a stupid policy, if they bring it in Im pretty sure it would be illegal unless they brought in similar stipulations for pensioners (How about they have to have a level 3 qualification to withdraw their pension!?) but its not like anyone in that age bracket votes anyway so they may as well pander to the ignorant pensioners and right wing press to gain more votes.

That... would be ridiculous.
This is actually an eminently practical policy. The pressure will force out laziness and maintain the integrity of the welfare state.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending