The Student Room Group

Oxford 2014 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucilou101
Why can't you?

rejected because of poor credit score- kept overdrawing while at school.
Original post by Arcane1729

Contact the main university finance department and explain your situation (and just point out financially you may struggle with the move to Oxford without your student funding and they you were rejected for an overdraft on the basis of your credit score). They may pop a cheque in the post for you to repay once you get your funding.
Original post by Noble.
Not sure, you can ask. That said, is it really that much of an extra hassle to get the laptop a couple of weeks into the course as opposed to right at the beginning? The university payments for the Opportunity Bursary are scheduled for 2nd week of term (I think the payments run off the same timeline as staff payroll - in which case it'll all get paid Thursday 30th October)

You get £1000 of it at the same time as student finance, and then the rest is in 4th week. So I should be able to get it around the 12th when I get Student Finance if I budget well.

It is definitely doable to wait - just not entirely pleasurable :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Usually the first payment of term is late, because you have to be confirmed attending before SF releases the money (and the way this is confirmed is not watertight from my experience :lol:)

I'd expect it more around the 15th of October (mine says 10th as well). Although bear in mind that Student Finance and university bursaries/scholarships are paid through different systems.

I've got some money in the bank now so I won't struggle financially at first, but it's good to know, thanks for the help Noble :h:

I've got really bad credit because of high credit card debt and managed to get one. I did get rejected from Santander and Co-op first though. Do you not have a youth account with any banks? In the end I just stayed with Lloyds as most banks don't credit check you if you upgrade an existing account :smile:
I've got really bad credit because of high credit card debt and managed to get one. I did get rejected from Santander and Co-op first though. Do you not have a youth account with any banks? In the end I just stayed with Lloyds as most banks don't credit check you if you upgrade an existing account :smile:

HSBC do :frown:

Guys is there an Oxford Finance representative on tsr?
(edited 9 years ago)
HSBC do :frown:

Guys is there an Oxford Finance representative on tsr?

There's plenty of other banks though!

I tried HSBC, Lloyds, Halifax, Santander and Co-Op in the end!
There's plenty of other banks though!

I tried HSBC, Lloyds, Halifax, Santander and Co-Op in the end!

please name me as many that are unlikely to reject me because rejection decreases the credit score even more. I will go to them all and if one work then you are my saviour and I will forever be your humble servant during my time at Oxford.

Edit: Just read what I wrote- what a sad and pathetic young man I am :emo:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
please name me as many that are unlikely to reject me because rejection decreases the credit score even more. I will go to them all and if one work then you are my saviour and I will forever be your humble servant during my time at Oxford.

Edit: Just read what I wrote- what a sad and pathetic young man I am :emo:

Spoiler

Lloyds, Natwest and RBS should be easier to get because they have a tiered overdraft. Instead of the others where you just get £1500 odd straight away!

Or Barclays because their overdraft is as low as £200 and they accepted me for my credit card with bad history :smile:
Original post by Noble.
You don't even need to rely on the college to sort this out. The central Oxford finance department regularly lends people money (usually around £500) to tide them over until their SF comes in. All you have to do is sign a small form agreeing to repay it when your SF is paid into your account, and they pidge a cheque.

Sorry but this isn't how it works. Oxford Student Finance would refer a Fresher (or other undergraduate) in need to their college in the first instance. The college would provide credit on battels or make a small advance. They would also help chase up the late payment from Student Loan Company or similar.
Original post by admissionshost
Sorry but this isn't how it works. Oxford Student Finance would refer a Fresher (or other undergraduate) in need to their college in the first instance. The college would provide credit on battels or make a small advance. They would also help chase up the late payment from Student Loan Company or similar.

Yes, you're right. That is how it's supposed to work. You saying it just reminded me that my college issued the cheque, but when I repaid it I bank transfered it into a main university account, not one belonging to my college.

Looking back at the original emails now Student Financial Support (at Oxford) offered to send me the money from the Access to Learning Fund, but they weren't able to pay it out for a good few weeks - so they contacted my college who issued the cheque and the main university department then sent the money from the ALF to my college (which is why I then owed the money to Student Financial Support and not my college).
Original post by Noble.
Yes, you're right. That is how it's supposed to work. You saying it just reminded me that my college issued the cheque, but when I repaid it I bank transfered it into a main university account, not one belonging to my college.

Looking back at the original emails now Student Financial Support (at Oxford) offered to send me the money from the Access to Learning Fund, but they weren't able to pay it out for a good few weeks - so they contacted my college who issued the cheque and the main university department then sent the money from the ALF to my college (which is why I then owed the money to Student Financial Support and not my college).

I just spoke to the finance department and they said I could either get an advance on my scholarship or a hardship loan - but that it would be done departmentally and I should contact the head of admin at the classics faculty...
I just spoke to the finance department and they said I could either get an advance on my scholarship or a hardship loan - but that it would be done departmentally and I should contact the head of admin at the classics faculty...

It may be different because I was having issues with Student Finance, so they gave an advance. The problem with the hardship loans, I'm sure admissionhost will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure to qualify you have to outline your income/expenditure and essentially prove you're in hardship - the process is far more complicated than when it's just an issue with Student Finance.

To be fair, having worked at this university for two years over the summer (in two different departments) everything is run in such an uncentral (and inefficient) fashion it doesn't surprise me that there are independent departments dealing with different types of financial problems.
Lloyds, Natwest and RBS should be easier to get because they have a tiered overdraft. Instead of the others where you just get £1500 odd straight away!

Or Barclays because their overdraft is as low as £200 and they accepted me for my credit card with bad history :smile:

Every single one. REJECTED
Every single one. REJECTED

Ouch! :s-smilie:
Thought this was funny... http://norwich.tab.co.uk/2014/09/17/the-church-of-thomas-rees-meets-on-sundays-and-wednesdays/

(haven't actually watched the video though)
Original post by fluteflute
Thought this was funny... http://norwich.tab.co.uk/2014/09/17/the-church-of-thomas-rees-meets-on-sundays-and-wednesdays/

(haven't actually watched the video though)

That is the cringiest thing I've seen in my life, and I saw Cameron flirting with Lucinda

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AKell17
That is the cringiest thing I've seen in my life, and I saw Cameron flirting with Lucinda

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM, Adam, I do love you :lol: :rofl:

It might be difficult to get an overdraft but you should be able to get an account (apologies if you already have an account and just want one with an overdraft, haven't gone back through the thread to check). Try looking at moneysavingexpert.com for 'basic bank accounts' (these don't have overdrafts). They also have advice on how to improve your credit score.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts
Original post by cheshiremum
It might be difficult to get an overdraft but you should be able to get an account (apologies if you already have an account and just want one with an overdraft, haven't gone back through the thread to check). Try looking at moneysavingexpert.com for 'basic bank accounts' (these don't have overdrafts). They also have advice on how to improve your credit score.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts

these aren't student accounts, but might help you start to improve your credit score - you can always try for a student account with perks a little later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending