The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I'm on the supported progression scheme, but my offer for English Lit just came through tonight! 😄🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Aye same here for geology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Woo! It's all so exciting! Now we're just waiting for collage allocations! 🎉🎉🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any one else got an offer for Pharmacy at the Queens campus? I've never been to look around as they offered me without an interview and I just would like to know what you thought of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
got in politics! unconditinal offer!! i actually received the offer about a month ago but still..
Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
Any one else got an offer for Pharmacy at the Queens campus? I've never been to look around as they offered me without an interview and I just would like to know what you thought of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently studying Pharmacy at Durham Queens Campus :smile: feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello
I am a potential mature student with long-standing health problems from another EU country. Actually, I was a student before, but my studies were unsuccessful. I nearly died from serious illness. Unfortunately my doctors have forbidden me from studying at university again, unless I can be a part-time student for the first two years or so. I had plans to apply for Combined Honours in Arts/Social Sciences as that was reportedly a part-time course, but different webpages are vague. Have things been changed? I hope they haven't because I am desperate for a place and most of the universities in my country are mediocre.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?
Reply 388
Original post by liondemocrats
Hello
I am a potential mature student with long-standing health problems from another EU country. Actually, I was a student before, but my studies were unsuccessful. I nearly died from serious illness. Unfortunately my doctors have forbidden me from studying at university again, unless I can be a part-time student for the first two years or so. I had plans to apply for Combined Honours in Arts/Social Sciences as that was reportedly a part-time course, but different webpages are vague. Have things been changed? I hope they haven't because I am desperate for a place and most of the universities in my country are mediocre.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Tbh most people here won't be able to help you - try emailing Durham directly
I can't reach anyone. The thing is, I started doing my A-Levels all over again just to get the A* so that I can do the part-time combined honours course. I spoke to them in September and everything was alright. Now it seems things might have changed.
Hi applying to study biology and want to be on the Bailey. Not sure what collage to apply for out of: Hatfield, University or St Cuthberts. Really keen at dance and drama. PLEASE HELP!! :smile:
Reply 391
I applied to health and human sciences!

Already got an offer from Exeter for psychology!:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone who has applied for Law know what Durham's cut off is for the LNAT?
Original post by Kirsty0712
Does anyone who has applied for Law know what Durham's cut off is for the LNAT?

I can't officially verify it but apparently it's 22.
Will everyone have had their rejection/offer by the end of January? Literally everyone in my school has heard back from their unis except me, still waiting on Durham for engineering :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 105263
I can't officially verify it but apparently it's 22.

Thank you :smile:. Mhmm... I hope I got more then 22... Their website says they have no minimum for the multiple choice, but I guess we'll see. Did you apply?
Original post by Kirsty0712
Thank you :smile:. Mhmm... I hope I got more then 22... Their website says they have no minimum for the multiple choice, but I guess we'll see. Did you apply?

There is no official cut-off so to speak. But some Universities base their weighting on the national average or the applicant average to the department. Either way the LNAT is one of many significant aspects of your application. Durham will look at your application holistically so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

And yes I received an offer shortly before Christmas.
Original post by 105263
There is no official cut-off so to speak. But some Universities base their weighting on the national average or the applicant average to the department. Either way the LNAT is one of many significant aspects of your application. Durham will look at your application holistically so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

And yes I received an offer shortly before Christmas.

Congrats on your offer! Are you an international applicant? :biggrin: How heavily do you think Durham weighs on the Personal Statement? What is the national average for the LNAT?

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions!
Original post by cchan1120
Congrats on your offer! Are you an international applicant? :biggrin: How heavily do you think Durham weighs on the Personal Statement? What is the national average for the LNAT?

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions!

Thank you and feel free to ask me anything. I'll try to answer the best I can. And yes I'm a domestic applicant. :smile:

The Personal Statement in my opinion is important and will most likely be given a similar weighting akin to your predictions or achieved grades.

The logic follows that Durham's Law course is heavily oversubscribed according to applicant : place ratio which was published by the University in the last five years. Because Durham, like many other top Universities do not interview, it becomes harder to differentiate applicants motivation for the course.

Many people who apply to Durham Law will probably also apply other top Universities such as Oxbridge/Et al so many applicants will be at a high standard academically. This is why the personal statement becomes more important in selecting applicants that would benefit the most specifically for their Law course.

Of course - this is just one important aspect of the application and will probably be used in conjunction with your LNAT to gain a more holistic view as you as an applicant.

The LNAT MCQ average has fluctuated in recent years ranging from 17-21. I would predict the average this year to be 20 but with 21 as a safe bet.
Reply 399
Original post by ChloeW123
Hi applying to study biology and want to be on the Bailey. Not sure what collage to apply for out of: Hatfield, University or St Cuthberts. Really keen at dance and drama. PLEASE HELP!! :smile:

cuths always (university is over subscribed every year, so there is very little chance you'll get it and hatfield get the piss taken outta them a lot aha)

http://guides.tab.co.uk/guide/durham/

check that out to help you make your choice

Quick Reply

Latest