The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Do you have anything of value to contribute to this discussion?

nah :nah::nah:

I value my happiness immensely. Hence I am trying to right the right balance between my religion and my relationship. And if somewhere down the line I can't find it, I will abandon my religion in favour of my relationship. If Islam won't permit my happiness with her, then quite frankly I don't want to be a part of the faith anymore.

Why would you abandon your religion??
Have you actually researched on it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by All_TheCyanide
You can "believe" all you want, it's not true and science is against you. I could choose to believe that gravity isn't real but that doesn't mean what I'm saying is true (and I'd rightly sound like an idiot for saying it).

OP, I hope you have a very happy and prosperous life. :smile:

Thank you for your kind words, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours :smile:
My Muslim friend states that homosexuality is a test from God - obviously some of us are born with it and it is our duty to fight it and overcome it, find the straight path (pun unintended lmao) and so on.

Her conservative views on my sexuality have caused me to essentially ''go back in the closet'' - it is not something I speak of freely now, not like I used to before. I am not usually someone that is afraid to express their views and identity, I am completely fine with who I am. She would just constantly make me feel wrong, however, like I am a disappointment of some sort. She did something that was particularly annoying - when she found out I was bisexual, she was shocked and felt terrible for previously exposing her hair to me. Ever since that time, she would never again even show me pictures of her if she didn't have her hijab on. I know males (unless they are mahrams) are not permitted to see the women's hair if she wears the hijab, but me, as a female? I felt discriminated. She said it had to do with my sexuality and impurity. I do think she's absolutely beautiful without her hijab but I would never be attracted to her, therefore there is absolutely no possibility of zina being committed on my behalf! I just felt like she didn't trust me enough, and that she thought Allah wouldn't like it if she let me see herself unveiled.

I am a believing person, I do believe in God but I do not practise any religion at the moment (although my friend is a little crazy and wanted to convert me to Islam as I was bought up a Christian anyway and I am very familiar to the teachings of Islam due to having studied it in detail - I have dealt with a massive exposure to Islam in the past two years). Right now, I believe I am too young to ''settle down'' and be faithful to God. To quote Kendrick Lamar, ''I'm a sinner who's probably gonna sin again, God forgive for things I don't understand'' lmao. I know God is merciful and will forgive me when/if I come to repent. For now, I just want to explore who I am, so that I don't have regrets later on.

What are your views on this?
Original post by gagafacea1
yaaas binch, go all out honey. Forget about religion, only remember it when you're down and use it to help you go back up. People these days use religion for hate and all of that, when it should between the person and him/herself. So ignore everybody, just be happy with your girlfriend; don't talk about religion with anybody, it's really no use, everybody has a different opinion, ALWAYS.

hahaha, thanks loooool.... I'm good for now, I like the notion of believing in something out there looking out for me. However, if He doesn't have my best interests and my happiness at heart, then I don't want him looking out for me. That said, I praise Him when good things happen to me, and I call Him when 'm in need. It works both ways.
I am an open person, hence I began this thread. It helps me to think about my faith and my relationship deeply as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if I don't like their opinion, don't hold it against me if I choose to shoot it down. There's far too many naysayers on TSR, it's really sad.
Reply 45
good on you for breaking away from the stone age dumb pricks who deny freedom to people to do what they want because of a book and a man who is in that book
I wouldn't be so open.......... Muslims have a reputation for being somewhat violently exclusive to those that aren't the 'right kind' of Muslim.

Does your family know ?

Is there anyone related to you that you are afraid to tell ?

Also stay safe amigo......... amiget ? What do you call a female amigo ?
Original post by JohnCrichton89

Lol uhh I think it's amiga ??
Best of luck OP, my sound advice is to try to hold onto your faith in essence, even if you are an impossible situation with the more intricate teachings
Interesting you still call yourself a muslim.

Anyways, do you plan on marrying her?
hahaha, thanks loooool.... I'm good for now, I like the notion of believing in something out there looking out for me. However, if He doesn't have my best interests and my happiness at heart, then I don't want him looking out for me. That said, I praise Him when good things happen to me, and I call Him when 'm in need. It works both ways.
I am an open person, hence I began this thread. It helps me to think about my faith and my relationship deeply as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if I don't like their opinion, don't hold it against me if I choose to shoot it down. There's far too many naysayers on TSR, it's really sad.

My mother always told me and my sisters; this is God, he knows everything and he created us to love us not to hate us and throw us in hell. I mean if you are doing good by others and by yourself tell me why would god punish you? why would god punish two people who are in love? That's God, not the God who wants you to hate yourself and restrict yourself based on rules made a thousand years ago. Just live your life to the fullest and you'll be happy and god will be happy. That's all I have to say, good day (or night lol).
Lol uhh I think it's amiga ??

Not quite what I was going for, you can be an amiga if you like though.
This is like a hot fantasy of mine.
Reply 53
and I wear the hijab.

See... this is what I struggle with. Why do you feel the need to wear it, if you're already doing something bad?

To me, it's like seeing a woman with the hijab eating a bacon roll in Greg's. What's up?
Original post by suudsioee
hey im a bisexual muslim also. are you out to your family? if not, do you ever plan on coming out to them?

Yaaay! How nice. No, I am not. Are you? I'm pretty sure if I came out to my family, it would be my funeral. I intend on telling my parents after I graduate, around the time when my parents would be searching far and wide for suitable Muslim men for me to marry. I will tell them then. I should be old enough and strong enough to fight my battle by that point - if not, a couple of years later down the line. If they do not support me, then I can't do anything about it. I shall wed my girlfriend under British Law, with haste, and then my parents can't do much about the choice I've made.
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Why would you abandon your religion??
Have you actually researched on it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Islam has no place for in it the religion, then I have no place for Islam in my heart. My happiness is very important to me. Life is not would living if you cannot fulfil your hopes, dreams and happiness. Or try, at least. I have researched it, and when I have time, I continue to do so. It's a continuous learning process.
Don't worry about me, I am entirely responsible for the decisions I make in my life.

That's true.

Ok let me ask you something else. Forget the fact you're bisexual. What do you think about the fact that relationships before marriage are also haram in Islam?
Original post by JD8897
good on you for breaking away from the stone age dumb pricks who deny freedom to people to do what they want because of a book and a man who is in that book

Ummm, thank you...?! The way I see it, Islam needs fresh interpretations for the modern day Muslim. I'm not suggesting the Qur'an needs rewriting.. just, a consideration for such modern-day issues. Such as trying to be Muslim and happy in my sexuality at the same time. It's honestly not a lot to ask.
Original post by JohnCrichton89
I wouldn't be so open.......... Muslims have a reputation for being somewhat violently exclusive to those that aren't the 'right kind' of Muslim.

Does your family know ?

Is there anyone related to you that you are afraid to tell ?

It's a darn shame I can't be open and proud. I know where you're coming from, and you're right. I go to a school/sixth form college that's about 70% Muslim and I get stares all the time. It's uncomfortable, but I don't care because i'm happy, and that's all that matters.
Only my cousin knows. My secret is safe with him.
I am afraid to tell my parents and my older brother. Everyone in my house is suddenly becoming increasingly religious, which makes my situation increasingly difficult...
Thank you... I shall, dude.
That's true.

Ok let me ask you something else. Forget the fact you're bisexual. What do you think about the fact that relationships before marriage are also haram in Islam?

That, I understand. And I know my pre-marital relationship is wrong/haram. But surely it would be weird, rushing in to marry a girl without having dated her? I think it's very important that you get to know someone inside-out before you enter a legally binding contract to spend the rest of your life with them. Many marriages end in divorce because of incompatibility, due to the fact that there was no 'getting to know each other' opportunities available. That's sad.

Latest

Trending

Trending