The Student Room Group

Will it be a BIG thing? :o

Do you guys think jobs with ALOT of coding and programming would be good and demanding in the future? Meaning 4 years time ish... And. What sector of banking requires coding etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Yes - this is why coding is being brought into the curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Holy crap is it! Do you think it would be wise if i teach myself now? Add in around 30 mins - 1 hour of programming&coding a day? Also is there any coding to banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The supply currently outweighs the demand hence the poor quality of programmers securing decent jobs. The government is making a push to train more people to do it.
Original post by Aliobeid
Do you guys think jobs with ALOT of coding and programming would be good and demanding in the future? Meaning 4 years time ish... And. What sector of banking requires coding etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technology, Algoritmic Trading, Quant Analysis etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Technology, Algoritmic Trading, Quant Analysis etc.

Does investment banking require coding? And what type of coding? Also does investment banking require a lot of maths? Some people said it does... Some said it doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TheSilentBang
The supply currently outweighs the demand hence the poor quality of programmers securing decent jobs. The government is making a push to train more people to do it.

Ahh... Is there alot of demand for investment banking etc? Or any type of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh... Is there alot of demand for investment banking etc? Or any type of banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're asking a number of questions about investment banking, and clearly want to go in to the field, but know nothing about it. Do some research instead of just seeing £ signs.
Does investment banking require coding? And what type of coding? Also does investment banking require a lot of maths? Some people said it does... Some said it doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, it depends what role you go into.

The ones I have specified tend to involve a heavy amount of maths and functional programming. Also, there is scope to go into hedge funds and other proprietary trading firms.

In IBD, you won't be doing any coding really. It's mostly excel and powerpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Again, it depends what role you go into.

The ones I have specified tend to involve a heavy amount of maths and functional programming. Also, there is scope to go into hedge funds and other proprietary trading firms.

In IBD, you won't be doing any coding really. It's mostly excel and powerpoint.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool! What about Analysis investment banking? I heard there is a little maths but mainly business, checking markets and coding? How true is this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh cool! What about Analysis investment banking? I heard there is a little maths but mainly business, checking markets and coding? How true is this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what you mean by "analysis investment banking"?

There's research, where you analyse markets and draft investment suggestions and reports - there's barely any coding there.

An "Analyst" in IB is generally the job title given to entry level employees, those in Research (Research Analyst), or Quants (Quantitative Analyst)
Reply 10
Not sure what you mean by "analysis investment banking"?

There's research, where you analyse markets and draft investment suggestions and reports - there's barely any coding there.

An "Analyst" in IB is generally the job title given to entry level employees, those in Research (Research Analyst), or Quants (Quantitative Analyst)

Yeah an Analyst in investment banking. Is there alot of maths and equations? I heard there is so much maths but then i heard there is just a lot of checking the markets and analysing them etc. Do you think its a good job? I'm 16 and want to work my way towards being an Analyst in Investment Banking or any good banking but not a TON of maths like heavy equations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah an Analyst in investment banking. Is there alot of maths and equations? I heard there is so much maths but then i heard there is just a lot of checking the markets and analysing them etc. Do you think its a good job? I'm 16 and want to work my way towards being an Analyst in Investment Banking or any good banking but not a TON of maths like heavy equations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, the maths is pretty much GCSE level to be honest, the investment banking division is geared towards helping companies buy/sell other companies, helping them raise money to expand or providing advice.

It's more about understanding the companies you are dealing with (via financial statements etc.), modelling scenarios using excel (this is where the maths comes in) and presenting your findings via PowerPoint.

From my friends who are in it: "It's hellishly stressful, and the hours are killer but the opportunities in Private Equity/Hedge Funds later make up for it".

You'll be working 9am - 11pm (might be 1am the next day sometimes!) on average and about 80+ hours a week.

My advice is to just keep your head down, get amazing grades, try to dabble in some entrepreneurship/extracurriculars. You should definitely attend open days during year 12 - 13 to get more a feel for the industry.

Worry about spring weeks and internships etc. once you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Well, the maths is pretty much GCSE level to be honest, the investment banking division is geared towards helping companies buy/sell other companies, helping them raise money to expand or providing advice.

It's more about understanding the companies you are dealing with (via financial statements etc.), modelling scenarios using excel (this is where the maths comes in) and presenting your findings via PowerPoint.

From my friends who are in it: "It's hellishly stressful, and the hours are killer but the opportunities in Private Equity/Hedge Funds later make up for it".

You'll be working 9am - 11pm (might be 1am the next day sometimes!) on average and about 80+ hours a week.

My advice is to just keep your head down, get amazing grades, try to dabble in some entrepreneurship/extracurriculars. You should definitely attend open days during year 12 - 13 to get more a feel for the industry.

Worry about spring weeks and internships etc. once you get to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

80+ HOURS? The pay is crazy but how can it be that much ! Also the bonus is amazing? And the maths at GCSE level? Ahh that actually calmed me down as maths at my level now (GCSE) is actually do-able. But what type of maths, like equations? What type. Also what are the requirements for investment banking? Anyways, what other types of banking is there with not much maths, hours not as long, good pay, checking markets, coding (not much) business finance etc? Investment banking seems interesting but the hours put me off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
80+ HOURS? The pay is crazy but how can it be that much ! Also the bonus is amazing? And the maths at GCSE level? Ahh that actually calmed me down as maths at my level now (GCSE) is actually do-able. But what type of maths, like equations? What type. Also what are the requirements for investment banking? Anyways, what other types of banking is there with not much maths, hours not as long, good pay, checking markets, coding (not much) business finance etc? Investment banking seems interesting but the hours put me off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry bro, you won't find a role in banking with "not much hours". You are going to work hard for that pay cheque, did you honestly expect it to be a breeze? No one gets paid a lot unless they put in the effort.

I suggest you do some googling, there is only so much I can tell you. But as I said, it's still a long way away for you to worry about this stuff.
Reply 14
Original post by Mathsz0r
You're asking a number of questions about investment banking, and clearly want to go in to the field, but know nothing about it. Do some research instead of just seeing £ signs.

This
Reply 15
Original post by Quady
This

Mind giving me links related with the career please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Mind giving me links related with the career please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://bit.ly/1F0rAQX
Reply 17
Heya, I need a hand! survey takes 2mins and one person gets £150- we're creating the uk version of Khan academy- if you could fill this out we'd be very greatful :smile:!

surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6
Reply 19
What I’ve done is that I’ve looked through job specifications on job vacancies and I’ve noticed that for middle to back office roles more and more quantitative knowledge is needed.

ESP for fixed income , risk , pricing and quantitative roles. Lots of unis now offering the Msc quantitative finance or financial engineering. R, and C++ are in demand and so is the CFA.

I think as time progresses there will definitely be a merger between programming , IT and finance. Look at vacancies that you’ll want to be applying for in 5 years time and look at what they’re looking for and that will give you a little map on how to plan your career.

I’m not expert.. I’m not in industry .: still taking my masters . Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending