The Student Room Group

Should I tell him the real reason I don't yet want sex?

I've been seeing a guy for a few weeks and we've really hit it off. However, I've recently had a couple of bad expériences where things seemed to be going well with a boy, we slept together, and then he ended it. Therefore, even though I feel things with this boy are different, and he assures me he's not just interested for the sex, I'm stil a bit cautious. I've told him I'm cautious but not the reason why; should I make reference to my past expériences? I don't want him to think I'm some crazy, insecure girl, but then I think the honesty might make him feel less 'hurt' when I say I don't yet feel ready.

Any thoughts appreciated. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been seeing a guy for a few weeks and we've really hit it off. However, I've recently had a couple of bad expériences where things seemed to be going well with a boy, we slept together, and then he ended it. Therefore, even though I feel things with this boy are different, and he assures me he's not just interested for the sex, I'm stil a bit cautious. I've told him I'm cautious but not the reason why; should I make reference to my past expériences? I don't want him to think I'm some crazy, insecure girl, but then I think the honesty might make him feel less 'hurt' when I say I don't yet feel ready.

Any thoughts appreciated. :smile:

Tell him. It's win win:

- He gets offended and leaves ... Not worth your time, saves you the effort

- He's understanding and stays ... found a winner
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Tell him. It's win win:

Or

He lies to get into her bed.

Your not going to escape this unless you take a leap of faith.
You don't have to tell him every detail. Simply say you are not ready yet. If he understands, then he will stick around. If he doesn't respond well at least you know the deal. Take your time and use your own judgment to determine his character and his intentions.
Reply 4
Original post by jakeel1
Or

How is that an option? OP has already made it clear she won't have sex yet.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
Tell him. It's win win:

Brill, thank you for your response. That's what I thought!

And it wouldn't put you off if a girl told you she had had bad expriences?
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
How is that an option? OP has already made it clear she won't have sex yet.

He's not a machine he does actually react to these responses. He can easily choose to fake his sympathy to sleep with her.
Reply 7
And it wouldn't put you off if a girl told you she had had bad expriences?

Not if I liked her enough.
Reply 8
Original post by jakeel1
Or

Your not going to escape this unless you take a leap of faith.

I don't believe he would do that. He genuinely seems a nice, sensitive guy and the only reason I'm hesitating is because of past expériences, as I say. Hence why I'm keen to give a reason for my hesitancy, so he understands the problem isn't with him.
Reply 9
Original post by jakeel1
He's not a machine he does actually react to these responses. He can easily choose to fake his sympathy to sleep with her.

But where has OP even suggested she would be willing to sleep with him if he showed sympathy? Surely by showing sympathy it will reinforce the point to OP that it is ok NOT to sleep with him.. :confused:
Original post by Reue
Not if I liked her enough.

Thanks for the response. :smile:
Original post by Reue
But where has OP even suggested she would be willing to sleep with him if he showed sympathy? Surely by showing sympathy it will reinforce the point to OP that it is ok NOT to sleep with him.. :confused:

Guy might see it as an oppurtunity to look noble so he can sleep with her after.... Your assumption is not everyone is a sleazeball.
I was in a similar position feeling very cautious about sex, although my reasons were different. Anyway, he pestered me about it a lot until I told the guy my reasons, however he still persisted, we fought and broke it off, although I was heart-broken at the time, actually I realise now a few months on, he wasn't worth it, I'm worth more than sex! You are too!

As has been said before, if they're a decent guy they'll stick around and be understanding, if not then they're not worth the time or effort... :smile: xx
Reply 13
Original post by jakeel1
Guy might see it as an oppurtunity to look noble so he can sleep with her after.... Your assumption is not everyone is a sleazeball.

But she still isnt going to sleep with him and so OP is no worse off than if she had just never mentioned it.
I was in a similar position feeling very cautious about sex, although my reasons were different. Anyway, he pestered me about it a lot until I told the guy my reasons, however he still persisted, we fought and broke it off, although I was heart-broken at the time, actually I realise now a few months on, he wasn't worth it, I'm worth more than sex! You are too!

As has been said before, if they're a decent guy they'll stick around and be understanding, if not then they're not worth the time or effort... :smile: xx

So true, thank you! As one of my friends and another poster in this thread says, if he's nice enough/likes me enough he'll stick around anyway (and then I won't have 'lost' anything).
Original post by Reue
But she still isnt going to sleep with him and so OP is no worse off than if she had just never mentioned it.

What if his answer changes her opinion of him, and that the guy thinks this to.
Reply 16
Original post by jakeel1

I suspect that if her opinion of him would change her attitude to having sex so soon.. we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.
Original post by jakeel1

I don't think your hypothesises are helping the situation XD
I don't think your hypothesises are helping the situation XD

Lol i'm just covering every ground, if you can dismiss it as nonsense then good, however if my concerns are genuine do so at your own peril :tongue:

Original post by Reue
I suspect that if her opinion of him would change her attitude to having sex so soon.. we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

That assumes the OP is a rational actor.
So true, thank you! As one of my friends and another poster in this thread says, if he's nice enough/likes me enough he'll stick around anyway (and then I won't have 'lost' anything).

Exactly, good luck with it all... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending