The Student Room Group

University of Westminster: Stop ANTI-GAY preacher Sheikh Haitham Al Haddad speaking

It seems someone has invited a well know homophobic hate preacher to an event at the University of Westminster

Do we have any member who go to this UNI?

Just wondered what their Views are on this .

For me he should not be allowed on campus on the group who organised this should apologise to all students for thinking this was acceptable

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Article in the Independent from the last time he was invited

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/westminster-university-students-furious-after-controversial-islamic-preacher-booked-for-charity-dinner-talk-8939980.html

National Charity Week began in controversy after Westminster Islamic Society (ISOC) asked an anti-gay and anti-semitic Muslim scholar to give a speech to over 300 students.

ISOC had originally arranged for the moderate Wasim Kempson to come in as a guest speaker, but students were left confused after the controversial figure Sheikh Haitham Al-Haddad replaced Kempson less than 24 hours before the dinner.

Al-Haddad’s views on many subjects are outspoken to say the least. In a recent article published online with his name underneath it, entitled “Standing up against homosexuality and LGBTs”, the words “the scourge of homosexuality” are used, which is referred to as a “criminal act”.
(edited 9 years ago)
According to this article he is pro FGM. How on earth could anyone think that this speaker is even vaguely appropriate?

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-gay-preacher-speak-westminster-university-day-student-pride200215

I am not one for blocking speaker but this taking the ****.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
According to this article he is pro FGM. How on earth could anyone think that this speaker is even vaguely appropriate?

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-gay-preacher-speak-westminster-university-day-student-pride200215

I am not one for blocking speaker but this taking the ****.

I just can't believe the members of the ISOC though this was suitable at all

But then we commonly sees ISOC's hosting hate preachers so not sure why I'm shocked they are doing it again (Hell even the ISOC on TSR regularly post materials from know hate preachers and it's rare anything is done about it so perhaps they do it because no one seem willing to stop them.)

But it would be nice if just for once some members of the ISOC's found their voice on this and simply said NO.
Original post by PopaPork
I just can't believe the members of the ISOC though this was suitable at all

But then we commonly sees ISOC's hosting hate preachers so not sure why I'm shocked they are doing it again (Hell even the ISOC on TSR regularly post materials from know hate preachers and it's rare anything is done about it so perhaps they do it because no one seem willing to stop them.)

But it would be nice if just for once some members of the ISOC's found their voice on this and simply said NO.

My assumption is that the ISOC agree with his views. I can't see any other reason one would choose to ask a hate preacher to speak to them.
Reply 6
My assumption is that the ISOC agree with his views. I can't see any other reason one would choose to ask a hate preacher to speak to them.

Sadly I have to agree

It's just that I thought generally they were better than that

But good to see this making the news and the petition has 2500 sigs already and is being promoted everywhere
Reply 7
If he has been invited he should be allowed to speak.
You can't just ban people because you don't like what they say.
Original post by Falcatas
If he has been invited he should be allowed to speak.
You can't just ban people because you don't like what they say.

Actually you can. That is what the "No platform" policy is all about.
Reply 9
Actually you can. That is what the "No platform" policy is all about.

Quite.
Reply 10
News has it the event is going to be crashed with loads of people with Mohammed Cartoons and the LGBT community are going to get down and dirty

Let see how he gets on with loads of gay people snogging each other at the back:biggrin:
You can disagree with people, but you shouldn't try to stop them from speaking...
Reply 12
I cringed reading this article.

We are very quickly adopting a attitude if a majority (usually the left wing) don't like something, it should be just banned or censored. Whilst i don't agree with his message i also don't agree with a massive amount of people, doesn't mean i don't think they should be allowed to hold their views.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
What did he actually say about homosexuality? Are you not allowed to say you disagree with it?
Original post by al_94
What did he actually say about homosexuality? Are you not allowed to say you disagree with it?

He said that LGBT(I?) people are "evil" and a "scourge". That is hate speech.
Reply 15
Original post by al_94
Are you not allowed to say you disagree with it?

Yes but you will be called an intolerant homophobic idiot and told to go away
Reply 16
Original post by Lady Comstock
How, exactly does "nothing good" come from homosexuality? How does it lead to "destruction"? I look forward to tangible examples to support your argument.

he made 2 posts before being banned!!
Reply 17
Where's the freedom of speech you were all banging on about a couple of weeks ago?
Original post by HAnwar
Where's the freedom of speech you were all banging on about a couple of weeks ago?

There is a difference between freedom of speech and allowing hate speech.
Reply 19
Looks like muslims are supporting this nut

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending