The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

What do SOAS students think about their university?

just wondering if there are any SOAS students out there? What are you studying and what is the university life like :smile:?
Original post by IloveSpongebob22
just wondering if there are any SOAS students out there? What are you studying and what is the university life like :smile:?

BA Chinese (Modern and Classical) first year student here. I love SOAS and being a student in London. SOAS is far from perfect, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The teaching that I get is mainly very good. I've made some really wonderful friends from all around the world, which is the best thing about SOAS.

Do you have any particular questions about student life?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by jonnymorrison
BA Chinese (Modern and Classical) first year student here. I love SOAS and being a student in London. SOAS is far from perfect, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The teaching that I get is mainly very good. I've made some really wonderful friends from all around the world, which is the best thing about SOAS.

Do you have any particular questions about student life?

Thank you so much for your reply :biggrin: !
Yes kinda: does it bother you that the uni is so small compared to places like UCL etc.? And also, is it hard knowing that many of the friends you make are from different countries so it will be more difficult to keep in contact after uni?
Reply 3
Soas is like sauce in some dish... u dont know the recipe but it taste terribly good.
Hope it helps :wink:
Hi, BA History 3rd year here. The quality of the courses here are great, expect to meet some great people. However, in terms of getting the fun, social, uni experience, soas can be quite dry unless you actively seek out and make an effort to be social, attend events, join societies etc. Being small isn't so much of an issue and its nice having so many international friends, opens your eyes to different cultures and the stories are always more interesting :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by IloveSpongebob22

I studied at the SOAS (from 2001 to 2005).
I finished with an LLB (a Bachelor degree in Law).
This is quite a unique and special university in its own right.
And I remember the library was very interesting too, with a variety of books on the region(s) of their specialization.
Good memories from my days there... Fast approaching a decade since I completed my degree there (this summer).
Next year, the SOAS - the School of Oriental and African Studies - will have its centenary. A big event!
(edited 8 years ago)
I read law and finished with an LLB as well several years ago, but I absolutely hated it. There are good faculty, but there are some really bad ones as well. The degree and uni don't have a very good brand either and catering to such a narrow niche limits your options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending