The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9600
Could someone please inform me on the social nature and facilities of Astor College, James Lighthill House, Frances Gardner House, Ann Stephenson/Neil sharp House, Langton Close and Schafer House?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by heyfran
Copied this from the Accommodation FAQ: 'You do not get to choose a particular residence as accommodation is randomly allocated. You do have the opportunity on the accommodation application to indicate a preference for catered or self-catered accommodation.'

Basically it's a gamble. Personally, when filling out the application form I wrote 'Please could you consider placing me in ____' in the note section lol I doubt that this will work though

Oh no:-( Then it is not possible to choose to stay close or with a friend ?
Original post by Bombvac

When I filled in my application, there was a section where you could ask for a specific person to be your roommate. So yes, you should be able to stay with a friend, or at least ask to be :smile:
Original post by Bombvac

What the poster above me said! 👆There is a section where you can ask for a specific person to be your roommate in a shared room. 😊
OK, I've got several questions. Sorry if they've already been asked.

1) The accommodation check in date in the 'Key Facts' section is the 19/09/2015, but the latest date you can arrive is the 16/09/15 (possibly this is a typo and should be the last date you can leave in 2016)- does anyone know what's up with that?

2) Is there any way of specifying that you want to be considered for intercollegiate halls as well as standard UCL accommodation? There doesn't seem to be any way of doing this.

3) At, for example, Ramsay, how many people share a bathroom and what's that like? Would it be worth it to go for en-suite?
The UCL says that graduate students from the UK/EU will not be made an offer of accommodation before the start of the first term.

Does this only mean that EU graduate students are not guaranteed a place or are they even not eligible to apply before the start of the first term?
If the former is the case, how high are the chances to receive a place in one of the student residence for prospective EU graduate students?
HI All we are Alex Marks estate agents and we have just been instructed on 2, 2 bedroom apartments in the heart of CAmden if they are of interest please feel free to contact us 0207 078 7950
Hi Guys!

A few useful links for 2015!

Freshers Week Event:
facebook.com/events/780867875360317/

Facebook Group:
facebook.com/groups/678095185645989/

Facebook Like Page:
facebook.com/pages/University-College-London-2015-Freshers/314539385421568
I'm an international student looking at alternate accommodations than the university's. I looked into two places "the arcade" and "Tufnell house". I want to make sure they are in a good location for getting to the univeriaty and that they are generally a good place to live. Any thoughts or information on these or any other good alternate accommodations would be so greatly appreciated!
Original post by Pete1121
I'm an international student looking at alternate accommodations than the university's. I looked into two places "the arcade" and "Tufnell house". I want to make sure they are in a good location for getting to the univeriaty and that they are generally a good place to live. Any thoughts or information on these or any other good alternate accommodations would be so greatly appreciated!

Hey Pete, Tufnell House is one of our residences, so I can happily help you there!

In terms of location to UCL, it's in a fantastic location. You can reach the University in less than 20 minutes with a direct Northern Line journey.
Tufnell House is a popular choice for UCL students, with around about 35% of our residents attending the University.

Although please be aware that TFL is closing Tufnell Park station for elevator refurbishment for a few months, so it adds about a 7-8 minute journey to Archway or Kentish Town (however, we are campaigning for them to keep the stairs open at least).

If you want any more information about Tufnell, or if you want me to recommend one of our other ideal London locations (Kings Cross, Spitalfields, Woodland House) then please let me know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Guys!

Come and join the Facebook group for UCL Applicants 2015!

You will also find Halls Links on the group!

www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=678095185645989

:biggrin:
Original post by The Lord
OK, I've got several questions. Sorry if they've already been asked.

1) The accommodation check in date in the 'Key Facts' section is the 19/09/2015, but the latest date you can arrive is the 16/09/15 (possibly this is a typo and should be the last date you can leave in 2016)- does anyone know what's up with that?

2) Is there any way of specifying that you want to be considered for intercollegiate halls as well as standard UCL accommodation? There doesn't seem to be any way of doing this.

3) At, for example, Ramsay, how many people share a bathroom and what's that like? Would it be worth it to go for en-suite?

Latest arrival date might be for summer school or something, I'm not sure. Don't worry about that though.

You'll only be considered for intercollegiate if you express a preference for catered accommodation as all intercollegiate halls are catered. Then if you do this you rank choose two (apparently, I put like 4 but whatever) intercollegiate halls and rank them in terms of preference compared to 'UCL Halls', so you can't say you'd prefer Astor over Ramsay but you can say you'd prefer Connaughy Hall (intercollegiate) to UCL Halls

Details of number of people to a bathroom are on the website, there will be a link from the list of residences for a full list of facilities for each hall, for Ramsay it's looking like 5-6 to a bathroom on average.
Hello,

Could someone please guide me towards which is better - College vs Connaught Hall. I need to set one of these as my first preference. Expenses are fine both ways I guess. What matters more for me is the quality of the rooms (en-suite), the food and the facilities. I guess socializing happens irrespective - so that's not a concern. So, which should it be?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
When should we expect to hear which student house we've been allocated to? The application deadline is today but do they let us know post-results?
Original post by lozdigz
When should we expect to hear which student house we've been allocated to? The application deadline is today but do they let us know post-results?

Yes. The website states that it depends on the offer status.

"Undergraduate:
Unconditional Firm - from July
Conditional Firm - from August (post-results)
Junior Year Abroad, Erasmus and Exchange - from July/August

Graduate:
Unconditional Firm - from July/August
Conditional Firm - from July/August"
Original post by Ganglion
Yes. The website states that it depends on the offer status.

"Undergraduate:
Unconditional Firm - from July
Conditional Firm - from August (post-results)
Junior Year Abroad, Erasmus and Exchange - from July/August

Graduate:
Unconditional Firm - from July/August
Conditional Firm - from July/August"

Thanks!
Hey everyone,

I just have a few quick accommodation questions. I'm going to be starting my masters at UCL in September and as an International student I qualify for UCL accommodation which I plan on using (It seems like a good value for it's location). The main places I'm looking at are Arthur Tatersall, Hawkridge House and Langton Close. I've heard that Hawridge is mostly postgraduates, which I think I would prefer, but I've also read about the rent strikes going on there at the moment and the construction seems like a bit of a nightmare. Does anyone know when this construction will actually end? Would it be continuing next year?

I also read somewhere that international postgrads can attach a letter to their accommodation form stating a preference for their accommodation of choice. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any advice in general would be much appreciated!!
Hello guys, just wondering if all bills are inclusive in the accommodation fees?
Original post by duduuu
Hello guys, just wondering if all bills are inclusive in the accommodation fees?

yes :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending